LegacyGT.com

Comments about the Spec B

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't somebody on the board have a "Spec B" decal made? I think it was one of the vendor members... I may have to go back and find that thread. It was a nice understated little vinyl decal on the trunk lid, in the same font as S204, no less.

EDIT addendum ->

I found it again, at the behest of another member's inquiry...it was on RaceComp Engineering's Spec B. He's a vendor, obviously, at http://www.gtworx.com

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Rce/SPEC_B_sticker_1.sized.jpg

It is in an exterior/appearance forum thread here, asking for feedback, feel free to give him some good feeback in that thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25092

3. Legacy/Outback ECU has a switch for two different diameter tires, it can be switched to keep the Speedo/odometer accurate...
That'd be nice if it were true. Then, when you complained to a dealer about your speedo being off, he could actually fix it instead of saying "Sorry."

The vehicle speed is calculated in the ABSCM and then digitally broadcast over the CAN to devices interested in vehicle speed, like the speedometer and the ECM. The Subaru Select Monitor can read ABSCM data, put the ABSCM into a test mode called ABS Sequence Control, and clear trouble codes/freeze frame data. I'm confident the SSM can't reprogram the ABSCM with a new value for wheel revolutions per kilometer and that the spec.B's ABSCM part number is different than the Legacy GT's.

Here is my solution for the lack of a Spec B logo on the car. The motto on the plate reflects my opinion of the Spec B: "Nothing Could Be Finer!"

Wish I would have thought of that!

DO you know if you can repeat license plates as long as they're from a different state.

If not I'll have to figure something else out.

too bad specb122 is 8 characters. :(

06specb

That will work!

I'm pretty sure most states will allow whatever you want, as long as it fits and isn't deemed to be offensive. SC is limited to 7 total characters, including spaces (I think some states allow 8.) I wanted to include my Spec B number (237) on the plate with the "Spec B" but there wasn't enough space. I wanted to avoid any ambiguity so that even people who aren't Subaru enthusiasts might get it. SC asks for 3 choices, so I gave them:

1) SPEC B

2) B 237

3) LEGACYB

I've been informed that I have the only Spec B sold and registered in SC (so far), so I'm glad I got my first choice.

LGTB could be interpreted as lesbian/gay/transgender/bi. I think it is normally written as GLBT, but LGTB is close enough if someone has no idea, and they are trying to figure it out.

Hmm... ok :icon_surp

Yeah I'll stay away from that one.

I like suby122 and I like sb122 although that one will not be recognized by anyone just like the car itself. :)

spcb122... that's probably my fav. at this point.

I thought about SPCB237 for mine, but then I realized that would look just like another license number to most people. I decided that SPEC B was clear and straight to the point, and more important than the number.

• 1 year later...

What I would have paid extra for? A Legacy "club sport". Here's what it would be:

Offer one color.....say black inside and out.

Alcantara inserts also in black.

Better bolstered seats.

No navi.

No sunroof.

Different front and rear bumper covers.

Lowered 3/4 inch.

30% higher spring rates with Konis.

The aluminum suspension bits of the spec B

STi engine setup.

Other weight savings to reduce weight by 300 pounds (even if this means manual windows/locks)

Brembo brakes like the STi.

Price it at $36k

That would be modeled along the Porsche club sport, except for the small price adder, which Porsche makes a big price adder.

Well, that's what I'd pay extra for, anyways. I'd even be fine with the 5 speed.

I don't believe it would be that hard to cut substantial weight off the Spec.B....the wheels/tires could definitely drop 40 pounds all around. From what I understand, the 18" stock wheels are around 25-27 pounds...is that correct? I believe the very nice, expensive, forged wheels offered on the STI are 17", equal width, and weigh around 16-17 pounds. Rotating mass, baby :)

Remove the sunroof, typically around 40 pounds. Maybe some lightened body panels. I've heard some speculation on why the Spec.B weighs so much....if the 6-speed really adds that much weight, maybe the 5-speed would be good. A lightened exhaust system can save a ton of weight as well. Maybe a slightly smaller battery?

I think 200 pounds is pretty easy to shave off of this particular car. But then, I'm not concerned with engineering challenges of mass production.

Joe

Archived