LegacyGT.com

Comments about the Spec B

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OTD? as in tax, tag and title included?

i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to call

call BS?

I think "TEH H()V" works at a dealership. He usually pops up every now and then with smart comment on how the Spec B > God.

Aside from that, $31k for a Spec B is nice.... in an alternate reality.

call BS?

I think "TEH H()V" works at a dealership. He usually pops up every now and then with smart comment on how the Spec B > God.

Aside from that, $31k for a Spec B is nice.... in an alternate reality.

yep,,,, at $31 out the door it's still too much considering I bought one of the 2nd batch of 04 STi's at a little over $30 out the door.

The spec B just doesnt have the goods fr the sticker even if you get a good deal IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, the spec B is a great ride,just a bit overpriced by Subaru to begin with.

Rudy

I think the Carrera GT is not worth the price too. It hardly beat the 911 Turbo around Nurburgring, but costs gadzillion more. :rolleyes:

But it was the only car to have a crowd around it in front of the Ritz in Paris while all the workaday Rolls and Benzs sat alone with their chauffeurs last summer. I have good shot of it if anyone wants to see it.

I'm just going to encourage people to snatch all the specBs up 'cause that's the only way SoA will realize there may be a market for an STi. :)

Another school of thought would be that if they sell poorly compared to, say, the very well-received Aussie "Liberty tuned by STi", maybe SOA will figure out that enthusiasts want performance over bling.

Why would you start this post if you already own one?

A - To Argue

B- Not very secure with your decision

Both are personality traits a shrink may help with, but I say buy what you like and enjoy the Sh!t out of it!

You're right. I just started this thread because of the continuous carping about the Spec B. I REALLY enjoy mine and I wouldn't trade it for anything. BTW, I can't see why "to argue" and "not very secure" are necessarily "personality traits" a shrink needs to help with but thanks for your opinion anyway.

I would be careful buying a new Spec B if you guys over the pond get the same depreciation as we do in the UK.

My car cost £26,000 (ex-demo, new it was £27,500), 9 months later with 25,000 miles the best I could get for it was £17,500 against a new auto Spec B.

The smart buy is a 6 month old car imo.

Whoa! Quite a dip there. What were their motive? Granted that you've driven a lot

Australian Spec B is a ripper. STi 6 speed box (GT has 5 speed), Bilstein shocks, 18inch wheels instead of 17inch (Only problem is they didnt clear my Brembos). If you drive the B Spec and the GT back to back the B Spec is a better drive. (Having said that Subaru Aust have just released the STi GT)

I have yet to go head to head on a the Track against a GT but i think i would give one a scare......we shall see.

Love the Spec B (STi Enhanced with 268HP and real brakes)

With all due respect to our international 3.0 Spec B owners, I think I would prefer the 2.5 turbo that we have in the USA. However, it would be nice if it came with a more aggressive STi ECU tune, like the Aussie "tuned by STi" model does. Improved brakes (not necessarily even STi Brembos, but some upgrade), and the option of deleting the $2,000 navigation unit (possibly in favor of the $650 performance gauge pod) would probably have been enough to convince me to buy the Spec B over the LGT limited if it had been available when I bought my GT. Even if it was $4,000 more for the Spec B, that is not outrageous compared to the price of sport-package options from competing manufacturers like Jaguar and BMW.

I would be happy if the GT here was available in a Spec B as you can get heaps of power out of the 2 litre Turbo. The problem was the GT here missed out on the suspension and gearbox that make the Spec B great. I guess its like your WRX did not have all the good gear that ours had, but i think thats been rectified. One day all the cars where ever there delivered will be the same. Nah that would be too easy.

You can call Bullsh*it if you want but lets see, hmmmmm... i work for a Subaru Dealership and 31k was my price....Being a "stellar" dealer has its advantages. Would I pay msrp? No...

PDX legacy- Do i think the spec b>god? No.... Do i think your a sarcastic -----? yes!!!:icon_twis

OTD? as in tax, tag and title included?

i'm sorry, but i'm going to have to call http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/92bandit/bsflag.gif

tHe HoV

You can call Bullsh*it if you want but lets see, hmmmmm... i work for a Subaru Dealership and 31k was my price....Being a "stellar" dealer has its advantages. Would I pay msrp? No...

if that's OTD, then that's nearly $3K below invoice

you say you work for the dealership, or own it? (or have naked pictures of the owner?)

I just recently bought a Spec B over a MS6 and an Evo IX MR and I in no way regret the purchase that I made. I paid $35K out the door, and in no way feel like I was cheated because I got them to come down about $7K over what they were asking (asking $39.5K BTW :lol: ).

in no way feel like I was cheated because I got them to come down about $7K over what they were asking (asking $39.5K BTW :lol: ).

That's not too bad a price, but I don't understand the logic -- which I've heard others use as well -- that it's a good deal because they came down so much from what they were asking. If they had been asking $42.5K, would it have been that much better of a deal?

I really feel sorry for the chumps who paid over MSRP and thought they were getting a good deal since they only paid a $1,500 markup instead of a $4,000 one.

I just recently bought a Spec B over a MS6 and an Evo IX MR and I in no way regret the purchase that I made. I paid $35K out the door, and in no way feel like I was cheated because I got them to come down about $7K over what they were asking (asking $39.5K BTW :lol: ).

I would have taken the Evo. :lol:

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

The Spec B had every option I wanted, plus individuality, AND that Bilstien suspension is COVERED UNDER WARRANTY... something you can't get with aftermarket. Thats worth a little extra in my book. Also, the Nav was the best option I never wanted. I really didn't want to spend that money for it, but now that I have, I find it really usefull... I use it at least weekly to find places or to just give me quick easy directions across town... or even to look for a place to eat or an ATM...

Honestly, I think a lot of people have contempt for the Spec B because it did not meet their expectations, or it doesn't fit their needs. If the car fit the needs and expectations of the people on this board, I probably wouldn't like it.

I agree that Subaru could have put a 6 speed transmission in there, or a more powerfull engine, but what would the production costs be to produce only 500 engines or 500 trannies for the Spec B? I imagine they would jack the price up quite a bit for that unless they borrow the STI motor... but good luck with that ever happening =D

EDIT: Oh! And I've got around 65 hours worth of music in the CD player... Lets see you do THAT under warranty :icon_surp

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

Honestly, I think a lot of people have contempt for the Spec B because it did not meet their expectations, or it doesn't fit their needs. If the car fit the needs and expectations of the people on this board, I probably wouldn't like it.

I agree that Subaru could have put a 6 speed transmission in there, or a more powerfull engine, but what would the production costs be to produce only 500 engines or 500 trannies for the Spec B? I imagine they would jack the price up quite a bit for that unless they borrow the STI motor... but good luck with that ever happening =D

I think contempt is much too strong a word. And I don't think it misses peoples expectations or needs, other than simple price. The GT limited delivers very nearly as much, for much less cash. Certainly no one begrudges your choice, and we are all glad you have what you want.

I have been one of the more verbose critics of the Spec B's strategic placement, and I can say for myself, that I am certainly not dissappointed in the car itself. I might have executed it differently, but I don't think the actual car is a bad car at all. I would not be dissappointed with one in my garage, even if I think SOA could have easily produced a better car for the money, or the given car for less.

I disagree mostly with the strategic planning and pricing behind it, and making it so much more expensive for the differences, when the GT Limited is such a comparative bargain in it's own lineup. If I haven't explained it sufficiently before now, and even more loquaciousness on my part is not going to aid any further.

However, the subject changes when considering news rumors from NASIOC, posted in the Subaru News and Rumors forum here. The 2007 Spec B, if they are correct, is going to address the 6MT question directly, by adding it to the Spec B model. That is a meaningful addition, especially with Variable Torque Distributing AWD, if that is included, which I imagine it will be.

The "STI" motor is not a stretch, as the 2.5GT essentially already has most of it, and probably not much of a cost difference. The short block is the same assembly. the heads perhaps slightly different (reports say valves or valve springs might be different, but other reports say they are identical, similar with the cam profiles... I'll leave that to folks with first hand knowledge.)

The differences come down to intake and exhaust systems, different turbo, and a more aggressive ECU tune. All very doable, as people on this board have already physically proven. To a manufacturer, those would be very small changes.

So... 06 Spec B is a nice car, and a good package, but overpriced, and certainly not held in contempt, at least not by me. The voiced shortcomings on 'value' may be remedied for 07, which remains to be fully seen.

I think contempt is much too strong a word. And I don't think it misses peoples expectations or needs, other than simple price. The GT limited delivers very nearly as much, for much less cash. Certainly no one begrudges your choice, and we are all glad you have what you want.

I have been one of the more verbose critics of the Spec B's strategic placement, and I can say for myself, that I am certainly not dissappointed in the car itself. I might have executed it differently, but I don't think the actual car is a bad car at all. I would not be dissappointed with one in my garage, even if I think SOA could have easily produced a better car for the money, or the given car for less.

I disagree mostly with the strategic planning and pricing behind it, and making it so much more expensive for the differences, when the GT Limited is such a comparative bargain in it's own lineup. If I haven't explained it sufficiently before now, and even more loquaciousness on my part is not going to aid any further.

However, the subject changes when considering news rumors from NASIOC, posted in the Subaru News and Rumors forum here. The 2007 Spec B, if they are correct, is going to address the 6MT question directly, by adding it to the Spec B model. That is a meaningful addition, especially with Variable Torque Distributing AWD, if that is included, which I imagine it will be.

The "STI" motor is not a stretch, as the 2.5GT essentially already has most of it, and probably not much of a cost difference. The short block is the same assembly. the heads perhaps slightly different (reports say valves or valve springs might be different, but other reports say they are identical, similar with the cam profiles... I'll leave that to folks with first hand knowledge.)

The differences come down to intake and exhaust systems, different turbo, and a more aggressive ECU tune. All very doable, as people on this board have already physically proven. To a manufacturer, those would be very small changes.

So... 06 Spec B is a nice car, and a good package, but overpriced, and certainly not held in contempt, at least not by me. That may be remedied for 07, which remains to be fully seen.

Cliff notes?????

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Read the last line. It is a summary. I do that sometimes, just for that reason.

Cliff notes??

:lol:

I pretty much agree with your last line, though. At invoice or below, I don't even really think it is overpriced; it just isn't equipped the way I would choose if I were going to build a $32-33K Legacy.

Archived