LegacyGT.com

Comments about the Spec B

I'm not sure why there are so many people who keep carping about the Spec B. Here we have a car that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, has a tried and true engine, impeccable safety ratings, all-wheel drive, and a manual transmission to boot. There's nothing else on the market that wraps all of this in one package at this price.

Sure there are better engines and more bells and whistles that could have been added but there has to be some point when you have to be satisfied. You could be living in Iraq!!

People on this board keep complaining about how there isn't enough in the Spec B to justify the price. Over the plain Legacy GT, this car has a navigation system, a sportier suspension, Bilstein shocks, and a few accessories that are standard (like the Homelink/compass mirror, better door trim, (mine came with an upgraded security sensor), etc. etc.) Is it worth more than the base Spec B? I guess it depends on your priorities. Personally I feel thrilled that 2 weeks after I bought my Spec B, the IIHS gave the Legacy one of only two "gold medal" ratings for overall safety.

I wanted all of the above-mentioned features and this car fits pretty much all of them. Is it perfect? No. Is it a great driving experience and a car that will serve me well for the next 5-10 years? You bet.

Cheers.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the Suspension, red leather, limited exterior color choice, and Navigation system worth 5-10 THOUSAND dollars to you? Most people here compare the Spec B to two other cars. The Mazdaspeed 6, which has more equipment available, but other serious drawbacks.

The other car is Subaru's own Legacy GT Limited. Legacy is it's own competition... that is the biggest problem with the Spec B, and Subaru should not have set it up that way.

The GT Limited has <9/10ths the equipment at ~8/10ths the price, or less. Dealers seem to be dealing better on GT Limiteds, than the Spec B. For some it is worth it. For others it is not.

I talked to a dealer about this less than a month ago. They have a Black-on-black leather GT Limited with a manual transmission marked down from a bit over 30k to 25.9k. They haven't budged off of sticker price (35.2k) for their Spec B yet... although that may change.

That is $9700 that I would not have to finance, and would be almost equal to my down payment, if I were buying today, and sold my truck privately. That is a big chunk of change.

I have always said, and still contend that Spec B should be a sport option package. Suspension, wheels, aggressive front fascia, and some trim baubles... for a reasonable package price. Navigation, steering wheel audio controls, and MP3 disk player should be optional on any and ALL Legacy GTs, regardless of transmission or bodystyle, and perhaps some higher-end 2.5i models.

In leu of that, Subaru should have differentiated the Spec B more from the Legacy GT, with more power, 6-speed manual, WR Blue paint, even... if they wanted to really sell the Spec B at the premium price they are asking. I'd stretch for that stuff. I am having a hard time considering it as is, even though I love the red leather. I haven't seen that SOA really wants to sell it, or the regular Legacy GT, anyway. Very little effort apparent to me, and I am the prime demographic, as you likely are, since you bought one.

Honestly IMO, the Spec B is not worth the extra chunk in change. I can get better suspension, wheels and mods for less than what the bump in price tag offers me.

Sure it's cool that they made 500 of them but honestly it's just a LegacyGT of which most people can mod to be better than anyways.

Also, I'm sure they'll be some Spec B owners hating on me but come on guys, my Legacy GT non-limited is just as good as your Spec B.

I'd say a mid engined RWD V10 roadster and a rear-engined flat-6-twin-turbo AWD coupe are a little different. They barely share more parts than the Porsche hood crest.

Certainly a bigger gap than a GT to a GT Spec B.

"I am picking up your sarcasm..." "Good, because I am laying it on pretty thick."

It boils down to this... Red Leather, bilstein and alum suspension, Nav I don't need, and 18" wheels I'll probably buy wider ones anyway... OR A future year of my life of not having car payments, or at least much less debt.

Lemme See... I Think I'll take the freedom, Alex. (insert snide SNL-Jeopardy Sean Connery comment about Alex Trebek here...)

I found when I drove the SpecB here in Oz almost 2 years ago to be a fantastic drive. Bit hard to throw it around when the SpecB (Estate) was the first to land at Subaru Australia and the salesperson was a Lady but from that I found it to be very smooth and had a lot of positive feedback.

Ada///M.

Granted for the it may be out of reach but for the $$$ it certainly has the gear.

Loved the Spec. B, but couldn't justify the $10 gap between it and what I did end up with, an 05 MT LGT Lmt. Wagon, with more of the accessories I desired (STS, performance gauge pack, high performance snow and summer tires, enhanced stereo, etc.)

I agree, I dont think that time is realistic but certainly it will still be under the 6.0 mark for sure. The H6 is certainly a lot more linear in power delivery, it will always feel different from the turbo, as the H6 doesnt have that PLAT power delivery.

Ada///M.

I know this is sorta a bit off the topic you guys talking about...

But mate works for Subaru.. did a service on a Spec B.. and it's problem was that it was getting fuel cuts? lol.. I found it a little funny hey? due to the fact it isn't even TURBO! lol

Anyways thought would just post it up.. soz :( lol

Guest *Jedimaster*
Can and dRiver gto 5.4- for the money, make the car more powerful, give it a 6 speed and make a wagon available. And don't try to sell people on a plastic plaque, red seats and really light a arms- I mean really, where's the cream filling?

When did the Spec B start running 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? Is this Subaru data or from a magazine?

I thought it had the exact horsepower and gearing as my GT Limited--which is why I thought it wasn't worth the extra $$.

0-60 time is from recent article in MotorTrend magazine. Car and Driver got similar times (as low as 5.2 or so for the LGT, IIRC).

Agree about the Spec B. I'd have bought one with more umph and a 6 sp. MT.

I just bought my Spec B on Thursday and so far, I've been very happy with it. I orignally went to the dealership to look at 2.5GT Limited's and was suprised to see that they still had a Spec B there. I test drove both and I like both pretty much equally. I was orignally going to buy a 2.5GT and make all the suspension and interior modifications myself but I've been doing that for almost 10 years now. To me, the Spec B was basically what I was going to build but probably better than I could.

My last 3 cars are a '98 Civic EX with an aftermarket suspension that handles great but rides rough (and has an exhaust I bought when I was 20 and is way to loud now for a 26 year old). A '92 Civic CX hatchback with a Integra GS-R engine that was about as fast as the 2.5GT (14.4 at 96 in the 1/4) but far less civilized and I'm still working on a '90 Nissan 240SX with an SR20DET swap. Basically, I'm getting a little tired of buying cars and having a ton of work to do to get it where I want. I thought about buying a 2.5GT Limited, putting a custom touchscreen in the dash with a miniATX computer under one of the seats and buying an aftermarket suspension and new wheels but at the price I got my Spec B for (33k, if they're still on the lot, they're at least 60 days, maybe 90, so they will be willing to deal), it was probably about 6k more than I would have got a simliarly equiped 2.5GT Limited for and I get to just drive the damn thing. The Spec B basically met all my performance criteria and is still comfortable and civilized to drive. The 2.5GT Limited was almost as good but I think I would have regretted not buying the Spec B while I had the chance.

Since this thread is called comments: I like the Navigation but why do they offer a screen with 3 guages and then only display Average MPG, Real Time MPG and Accelerator pedal percentage. I'd love to have to have a boost, oil pressure and EGT gauge display instead. Also, when moving, you can't enter destination information (it darkens those sections out until you stop, you can recall previously entered information). I understand they want your eyes on the road but a passanger can't even enter that information. Steering wheel controls are nice but they need a jump to next preset radio station button. My left ankle hurts from the clutch, it's so much heavier than my Honda's, but does have good feel. I have noticed the described "stumble" around 2500 rpm but it's not real bad and I'm looking at getting a Cobb AP. I've seen a lot of complaints about the turn signal's as well but I haven't noticed any issues? Oh well, regardless, I'm very pleased with my purchase and do not regret getting the Spec B.

Here we have a car that does 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, has a tried and true engine, impeccable safety ratings, all-wheel drive, and a manual transmission to boot. There's nothing else on the market that wraps all of this in one package at this price.

I can think of one: the Legacy GT Limited.

Acceleration should be slightly worse on the Spec B vs. the LGT. That is because of the bigger overall tire diameter of the Spec B (hence lower final drive ratio) and it's slightly heavier weight.

The Spec B is a very nice car, and now that it is available for below invoice ($32K or less), it is a decent deal. The problem was that initially, because it was a limited edition, dealers were asking MSRP (or even thousands more!), when a new LGT could be bought for $1,000 or more under invoice.

Also, the price of the Spec B is made higher by the fact that it has some pricey standard equipment some of us would not want, most specifically, the nav.

If the SpecB would have been out when I bought the car, I would have been very tempted to go that way. Nav + upgraded suspenion supported by the factory + wheels, etc etc. I think it's not a bad deal at all compared to it's competition.

hmmmm... I love my spec b, I got it out the door for 31k. Was it worth it to me? Yes... I drove a regular GT and granted it was black on black(leather) and very nice, but it was uber sloppy. nothing that $3000 in suspension work couldnt fix. Also, it was a stick thus it had no navigation another $2500 to fix that as well. Oh yea it had small 17 inch rims which look way to small on it, ok so now another $3000 for rims and tires. Also note that these are of course using the best parts you can buy.

IMO my spec be at $31k was well worth it...

tHe HoV

I would be careful buying a new Spec B if you guys over the pond get the same depreciation as we do in the UK.

My car cost £26,000 (ex-demo, new it was £27,500), 9 months later with 25,000 miles the best I could get for it was £17,500 against a new auto Spec B.

The smart buy is a 6 month old car imo.

Thanks for all the comments. I agree with pretty much all of them. FWIW, I wasn't looking to finance the thing, just paid cash up front. It had all the features I wanted, including the built-in Navigation system. The Mazdaspeed 6 has a new engine, seems to have had some kinks to be worked out, and didn't have the safety scores I wanted.

Even when the Spec B first came out, I was able to get it for about 1600 under MSRP. Not bad. I plan to drive it for about 10 years anyway and for me, this car has everything I wanted. I REALLY wish the steering wheel controls would jump to the next preset station, though.

BTW, the local Subaru dealer says Subaru may come out with some way of reprogramming (i.e., customizing) many of the features in the car (like turning off the annoying seat-belt warning chime!). He *thinks* reprogramming the steering wheel buttons to jump to the next preset station will be available but he isn't sure. If Subaru reads these boards, I hope they're paying attention!

BTW, the local Subaru dealer says Subaru may come out with some way of reprogramming (i.e., customizing) many of the features in the car (like turning off the annoying seat-belt warning chime!). He *thinks* reprogramming the steering wheel buttons to jump to the next preset station will be available but he isn't sure. If Subaru reads these boards, I hope they're paying attention!

Yeah, um, your dealer is a little behind the curve on the seatbelt chime. It can be turned off now; see the "walkthrough" forum for an explanation of how to do it. Same with the daytine running lights.

Archived