LegacyGT.com

So, you want to drive your 15 year old LGT to a meet eh?

KZJonny

Yes. Filter body and hoses are threaded together. 

Honestly, the filters dont catch much unless you had a catastrophic engine failure.  Its the gunk that blocks up the oem element, it is just much smaller. 

• Like 1

Got it Thanks!

Progress on one of my listed tasks! It looks great from 10 feet. The paint difference is way more apparent when on the car than when I held the fenders up to the car, back when I got them. I need to play with alignment cause the hood is tight to close and sits a mil or 2 below fender line. It would have been far too easy if it just simply lined up

new front end.jpg

• Like 4

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Feels like I'm finally making some meaningful progress. Got the timing belt, headers, and the OE block heater on. I have no need for an upgraded timing belt, but I found a good deal from an abandoned project after my last kit was accidentally thrown out. It's pure bling for the clear timing covers.

The Killer B manifold is super tight with Mazda's large Tokyo Roki filter, I may have to switch to the regular sized one in the future. I put on 3 coats of Diamond Coat on to the fuel rails throughout the day, as well as other components already on the block.

Arms and lungs are itchy from handling heat blanket.

Does anyone know whether any gasket maker/thread sealant needs to go on to the fuel lines going into the fuel rails?

progress.jpg

oilfilter.jpg

fuel rails.jpg

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

22 minutes ago, Enlight said:

Feels like I'm finally making some meaningful progress. Got the timing belt, headers, and the OE block heater on. I have no need for an upgraded timing belt, but I found a good deal from an abandoned project after my last kit was accidentally thrown out. It's pure bling for the clear timing covers.

The Killer B manifold is super tight with Mazda's large Tokyo Roki filter, I may have to switch to the regular sized one in the future. I put on 3 coats of Diamond Coat on to the fuel rails throughout the day, as well as other components already on the block.

Arms and lungs are itchy from handling heat blanket.

Does anyone know whether any gasket maker/thread sealant needs to go on to the fuel lines going into the fuel rails?

progress.jpg

oilfilter.jpg

fuel rails.jpg

Yikes, that filter is a tight fit!!

I guess each manifold is little different. I’ve just got room for a heat blanket ok the filter, since it is so close to my Killer B header, but even then there is a small gap.

What is the year/model does the long version of the TR filter come from? Or are you ordering straight from Japan?

4 hours ago, KZJonny said:

What is the year/model does the long version of the TR filter come from? Or are you ordering straight from Japan?

The model number is N3R1-14-302 and I just bought it from Amazon. Based on Mazda's website, it looks like it was for the RX-8 from 09-11. I'd like to stick with it but then I don't think the oil filter touching the headers will be good for oil temps. Remember, I do have the sandwich adapter on there which further lengthen the oil filter. Without it it would be fine. Maybe I should go remote?

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

Should be an -AN fitting from line to rail (-AN to NPT).  No gasket, but an o-ring on the NPT thread (rail). 

All KillerB headers are a little different.  Heat cycles play a part. 

I had to use my long pry bar to convince it on there. Thanks for the o-ring note, I probably just missed them when I glanced inside the box.

• Like 1

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

13 hours ago, Enlight said:

The model number is N3R1-14-302 and I just bought it from Amazon. Based on Mazda's website, it looks like it was for the RX-8 from 09-11. I'd like to stick with it but then I don't think the oil filter touching the headers will be good for oil temps. Remember, I do have the sandwich adapter on there which further lengthen the oil filter. Without it it would be fine. Maybe I should go remote?

I had to use my long pry bar to convince it on there. Thanks for the o-ring note, I probably just missed them when I glanced inside the box.

@Enlight IAG does NOT provides the o-rings. You'll need an ORB fitting on the rail side. I can't remember exactly, but I believe I got -8AN ORB to -6AN. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-AT985068ERL

Also, I also had fitment issue with a brand new Killer B header. Pry bar was the way to go. It looks like you have a sandwich plate adapter. I have a Mocal oil cooler and I had to delete the factory oil (pre) cooler to make everything work. As for the TR filter it won't fit, I resorted to using stock sized OEM blue filters which is still a close fit. Try to see how well a OEM blue fits for you. I remember it touching the header which made me delete the cooler. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cheeseenlo said:

As for the TR filter it won't fit

Is that because of the sandwich plate? I suspect that isn't correct as a blanket statement. I use that same filter listed, TR N3R1 - 14 - 302, and it clears just fine, even with a blanket on it.

For me at least, it wouldn't matter if the filter was lower because of the sandwich plate, or if I put in a tall filter. It's certainly closer than the stock set up, but an air gap is good enough for me for the moment.

Perhaps they've made some minor adjustments in the design of the manifold? Mine was produced just last year some time.

On 5/25/2023 at 10:12 AM, jaylew said:

Got it Thanks!

Progress on one of my listed tasks! It looks great from 10 feet. The paint difference is way more apparent when on the car than when I held the fenders up to the car, back when I got them. I need to play with alignment cause the hood is tight to close and sits a mil or 2 below fender line. It would have been far too easy if it just simply lined up

new front end.jpg

Is that JDM or USDM front end? If JDM, how did the fender liners and engine under tray fit?

I have 09 JDM Spec-B Wagon front end sitting in the basement but I am not sure the engine under tray and fender liners will align based on what I read about JDM front end swaps. Surpisingly very little actual material on JDM front end swaps on this forum.

Edited by SubOperator

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I am sorry to report that this is USDM...My cheap ass way of getting the front to be less "pointy". I need to do a lot more than expected of fussing to get the alignment right. Also a disappointment is the difference in ABP paint between 05 and 09.

I would assume the under tray still lines up and same-ish for fender liners. The bumper doesn't sit further back on JDM (my understanding) but rather it is simply just not as fat sticking out

• Thanks 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Is that because of the sandwich plate? I suspect that isn't correct as a blanket statement. I use that same filter listed, TR N3R1 - 14 - 302, and it clears just fine, even with a blanket on it.

For me at least, it wouldn't matter if the filter was lower because of the sandwich plate, or if I put in a tall filter. It's certainly closer than the stock set up, but an air gap is good enough for me for the moment.

Perhaps they've made some minor adjustments in the design of the manifold? Mine was produced just last year some time.

@KZJonnyThe oil filter fitment is due to the Killer B Holy headers w/ the factory cooler and sandwich plate. If all 3 are installed you'll have a hard time installing a longer filter or even the factory blue one. When I test fitted everything the OEM blue filter was literally touching the header. 

I'll see if I can dig up the NASIOC thread but Killer B even states / recommends the delete of the factory oil if you add a sandwich plate adapter with their headers. 

The only caveat for the cooler delete is you'll need to plug the port near the oil filter and cap the nipple off the water pump. For my rebuild, I requested that the shop install a new 08-14 WRX water pump. That specific pump does not have the extra nipple for the oil cooler. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yup, its the aftermarket and oem cooler combined. Honestly, if using an aftermarket cooler with an air to air core you dont want the oem cooler in the loop anymore. 

Lets think about this scenario.  Oem cooler uses coolant to cool the oil. Whats your coolant temp???  Let your big badassical core cool the oil.  Now you can remove that pos coolant crossover pipe too and remove more engine bay heat. Radiator has small amount of heat load less to deal with too.  Win/win. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, jaylew said:

@KZJonny looks like the 05 headlights will be ready for you, as long as I remember to pack them! 

Anyone need the front end of an 05 in ABP?

IMG_8945.jpeg

Car looks awesome. The 09 LGT that never was.

I like the stock wheels too. Still have them even though haven't used them in a while.

• Like 1

Did the US not get ‘09 wagons?

On the plus side for me, my wagon seems to be unlearning it FKC with a tank or two of fresh fuel and Berrymans.

Really just need an oil change, install the fumoto, and so the speed sensor if  I find time…

I believe there were still 07 Legacy wagons, auto only, in US. I recall test driving a white NA with 5sp and DGM LGT with auto, both facelifted. The sales lady could not drive a stick, I had to bring it out from the back ;)

Canada had LGT wagons until the end of BL/BP in 09. Lucky bastards.

Edited by SubOperator
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

I believe there were still 07 Legacy wagons, auto only, in US. I recall test driving a white NA with 5sp and DGM LGT with auto, both facelifted. The sales lady could not drive a stick, I had to bring it out from the back ;)

Canada had LGT wagons until the end of BL/BP in 09. Lucky bastards.

Riiiight. I forgot the Canadia only thing.  I prefer the pre-facelift look, but I can still find an ‘09 LGT manual wagon here if I look hard enough…

@tysparks81 has one he’s (grudgingly) willing to let go of if anyone is looking.

I guess wagon sales here must have been a bit better for longer…

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 3:09 PM, jaylew said:

I am sorry to report that this is USDM...My cheap ass way of getting the front to be less "pointy". I need to do a lot more than expected of fussing to get the alignment right. Also a disappointment is the difference in ABP paint between 05 and 09.

I would assume the under tray still lines up and same-ish for fender liners. The bumper doesn't sit further back on JDM (my understanding) but rather it is simply just not as fat sticking out

On the USDM to JDM front end conversion, the fender liners don't fit perfectly and the under tray does not fit.  There is a slightly different shape to everything because the JDM bumper sits closer towards the front of the car.  The USDM fender liners can be used but the front bottom don't line up with the bumper, and the under tray does not fit either.

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

On 5/26/2023 at 3:51 PM, cheeseenlo said:

@KZJonnyThe oil filter fitment is due to the Killer B Holy headers w/ the factory cooler and sandwich plate. If all 3 are installed you'll have a hard time installing a longer filter or even the factory blue one. When I test fitted everything the OEM blue filter was literally touching the header. 

I'll see if I can dig up the NASIOC thread but Killer B even states / recommends the delete of the factory oil if you add a sandwich plate adapter with their headers. 

The only caveat for the cooler delete is you'll need to plug the port near the oil filter and cap the nipple off the water pump. For my rebuild, I requested that the shop install a new 08-14 WRX water pump. That specific pump does not have the extra nipple for the oil cooler. 

This is correct.  An alternative is to use the newer 08-14 wrx oil cooler which has slightly better clearance and moves the filter slightly further away from the header

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

31 minutes ago, tysparks81 said:

On the USDM to JDM front end conversion, the fender liners don't fit perfectly and the under tray does not fit.  There is a slightly different shape to everything because the JDM bumper sits closer towards the front of the car.  The USDM fender liners can be used but the front bottom don't line up with the bumper, and the under tray does not fit either.

Are you referring to 05-06 pre-facelift or 07-09 post-facelift?

For my pre-facelift '05, I swapped in a JDM 3.0 Spec B front bumper and headlight mounts and was able to use the USDM fender liners and undertray (which was later replaced with a skid plate) and they fit just fine.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

(which was later replaced with a skid plate)

Which skid plate did you go with, or perhaps made one up for yourself? (I appreciate your bringing your old one along for me, but eventually, I think a proper metal unit will be in my future plans.)

Kzr750r said he had the primitive model and was pretty blase about it.... He we neither impressed, nor unimpressed....

I guess for the money I'd like to get something legitimately good. Not just acceptable.... Or I'll go to the trouble of making my own....