LegacyGT.com

So, you want to drive your 15 year old LGT to a meet eh?

KZJonny

My wagon blew its engine and caught fire because I was doing maintenance at the track.

When I had my own racecar, I made an early decision to arrive ready to race. If I couldn't, I didn't go. I used to have cars next to me in the pits that would be completely rebuilt over the weekend and never get on track.

Then I joined a team that made my dramas seem like a hangnail that falls off on its own. When the car was finished, it would backfire and blow the turbo gasket if you shifted below 5000 rpm. Flat foot shifting fixed that. Which destroyed the oem clutch. Which led to all night thrash to replace the clutch. The all-night part came when a tired person (not me) dropped a nut down into the transmission. We were dead last to grid. 2 drivers later the car caught fire when a poorly routed oil line overheated and dripped onto the hot exhaust. thankfully the driver stayed in the cage trying to put it out, otherwise would have been a total loss. We still had to pay the junkyard to take it.

I love all my memories of racing. Even the ones where drinking heavily has not erased the agony of defeat.

Reading this thread, I can commiserate with the efforts. The amount of drama just warms my heart.  :)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Stop working on it Thursday night? And lose all of Friday morning?!

That’s crazy talk.

🤪

Pretty sure someone will be posting friday afternoon from the roadside requesting help.

if you can get with in 200 miles of the campground, my good sam policy should get you the rest of the way.

15 minutes ago, boxkita said:

Pretty sure someone will be posting friday afternoon from the roadside requesting help.

if you can get with in 200 miles of the campground, my good sam policy should get you the rest of the way.

Hopefully not us, but at least if something goes sideways, @tysparks81 and I can keep each other company, fix what is wrong, or just play with his dog while waiting for a flatbed.

I believe he may be more technically advanced than I am, and have a smart phone, or at least one that works in the US possibly? I will be useless once across the border, with a phone that will charge me a ridiculous amount of money to send a text or place a call, and I don't have Whatsapp even on my own side of the border.

Hoping the paper maps I print out in advance will get me where I need to go. Or I'll just try to keep up with Ty and his damned 6MT....

All that to say, between the two of us, we will have a pretty good assortment of tools. More than for an average roadtrip, I would think, so if someone does reach out, and we can either get to them to help, or donate tools/parts to someone else who can, I think we'd be happy to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Life is brief moments of pure joy intertwined with years of misery.  Its those brief moments that keep us going.

37 minutes ago, boxkita said:

Reading this thread, I can commiserate with the efforts. The amount of drama just warms my heart.  :)

13 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Hopefully not us, but at least if something goes sideways, @tysparks81 and I can keep each other company, fix what is wrong, or just play with his dog while waiting for a flatbed.

Welp, on that note... mission failed.

After the rain let up last night I decided to get back to work at 1am. I resolved to stay out of the engine bay and install my GESI 2 downpipe, drain the old fuel, and install the new pump among others. I timed myself on each task, sometimes overshooting by 15 minutes, sometimes under 10. It felt good to be back in familiar territory as I was knocking out the items, it seemed that I might actually make the tuning appointment. I moved on to installing the spark plugs and coilpacks, regretting not doing them when I had the engine on the stand. I spun the socket for an interminable amount of time before I realized I had been using the wrong size all along. Cutting it close, but this is still doable. The birds are chirping now and the horizon is getting light.

Time to move back to the engine bay and install the accessories. I struggle not to cross thread the rear bolt on the A/C compressor. It seems like this is a common issue because, when disassembling my old block, the bolt from that same hole came out with gobs of red loctite. I move on to the power steering pump. I realize the the reservoir is completely empty and the entire assembly is soaked. I hate to make the shop have to wrestle with the steering wheel, but this is just a break-in tune anyway. Maybe they can just load an OTS map to get me on my way before the real tune. Damn, the adjuster is broken. I mock up the belt and they hang there limp. Pressing on, I install the coolant reservoir I broke yesterday and Gorilla Glued and clamped. I hoped it would stay intact long enough for me to run to the nearest dealer and hand deliver the replacement. It broke as soon as I tried to attach a hose. No matter, I put on the alternator... and I can't find the bolt it pivots around. It's a long bolt and my longest falls short. No electricity.

I compose myself and realize that I won't be making it. I consider how scummy it would be for me to phone the shop at opening and tell them I won't be making the appointment that is supposed to happen... now. That we had planned 3 weeks in advance. It's 7:30 now and they open at 9. I believe it's better to apologize in person, so I start the 40 minute drive over, Uhaul trailer in tow, still wearing my greasy coveralls. Employees begin to the fill the lot as I scroll junkyards for the condenser I pierced. I keep waiting for one of them to approach the Suburban and ask "are you our 9 o'clock?" but no one does. It's 8:55 now and they are beginning to roll cars out of the shop. Well, it's now or never. I approach, hat in hand, and ask whether the tuner has arrived. They reply in the negative and I proceed to explain who I am. They don't seem fazed and ask whether I would like to make another appointment. I ask "don't you have some kind of penalty for cancellations?"

"Nope."

"Ok, well I'd like to make sure my car is buttoned up before I make another appointment."

"No problem. What's your name? I'll tell him you stopped by."

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Good on ya for trying dude.

And good on that shop for not being dicks about it. You gotta figure in the world of tuned cars, there have got to have been a few that missed their appointments before.

Better than rushing and having your spiffy new engine puke it's guts on the dyno because you didn't do a thing right the first time.

Your penance for missing the appointment, and not bringing a functional GT to the meet is to have to lead the organizing for the Finger Lakes meet up and driving event. 😉

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

@Enlight so reading your tale of woe, yer not coming, or yer not driving the lgt or yer bringing it on the trailer?

Good tuners, I suspect, remain so because they have a backlog of work that isn't affected when an appointment doesn't show. 

Regardless, I applaud your efforts. Not in a participation sort of way but in a genuine effort to get a complicated car running against a deadline. Reading so many other stories over the years and living mine, some times stuff happens. Don't ruin it trying to rush it done. 

Look forward to seeing you this weekend.

Bring your condenser. We can all sign it. You can hang it on the wall.Next year, you can gift it to the person who got close and didn't get finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Now that the pressure is off, I'm glad I'll have a chance to revisit some of the work I accepted just to meet the deadline. It's one thing if I was installing old familiar parts, it's another to install a whole basket of new parts. Routing everything in such a way that one thing didn't interfere with the other was tricky. With my current setup, there's no way I could plug in the power steering pressure sensor. There are many strained hoses and harnesses I would like to redo. I suspect it will take half the time the second time.

@boxkita that's a cool idea, we should make a reward for owners who have undertaken efforts to keep these cars on the road. Something that doesn't involve having to visit the refrigerant man 😁

@KZJonny Let's wait until this year's meet is over before you decide you want me organizing again, lol

Shall I take the Suburban? I can load it with the QuickJack for emergency roadside assistance. There are two Uhauls in Carlisle where we can rent a cheap trailer.

• Haha 1

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

1 hour ago, Enlight said:

Shall I take the Suburban? I can load it with the QuickJack for emergency roadside assistance. There are two Uhauls in Carlisle where we can rent a cheap trailer.

It probably gets better MPG than an LGT and uses regular, so yes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sills if I can find enough pop-its to hols them in place. Duct tape if I cannot. 2 sided tape will be in the car. Probably stick a little on Saturday morning if they rattle and if I can find a shady place. 😬

Pack. Maybe hit the drive in car wash in the AM?

PSA, PMP Auto Group in Mertztown (1:45 minutes away from Carlisle) is a dedicated Subaru junkyard. I'll be getting an A/C condenser and upper coolant reservoir from there. If anyone needs anything, let me know and I can pick it up for you.

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

Hopefully I have time tonight to wash it. Just got tinew 2DIN radio installed, with android auto for maps.

• Like 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Well this was a fun list, and remained motivational for me.

Gonna have to start a new thread for next year, like, really soon. Maybe having almost 12 months will be enough time to actually fix the things I'd like to do, and not just the ones that would prevent making it there and back.

Hell, if I start the list now, I should at least get my oil changed by next May!

In reality tho, I do think I will prioritize the wheel speed sensor problem/diagnosis. I would really like to have cruise for my next 8 hour highway drive. What else?

- I will bring more CDs. While the 6 that I had in there were good, after about the third time through, they were getting a little stale
- nobody laughed at the duct taping hiding the rust too hard, so that was nice. Thanks all.
- consider replacing the kueki rear lights with stock, so @jaylew won't shit talk my car next year 😄

Already turning into a list, so I'll start the new thread soon, Lol!

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, m sprank said:

I will probably need to repair my liver if attending next year. 

https://www.amazon.com/Futurebiotics-Silymarin-Marianum-Dandelion-Capsules/dp/B09WVWD4MS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=milk+thistle+1000mg&qid=1687277626&rdc=1&sprefix=milkl+thistle%2Caps%2C104&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

We're here for ya mate! I'll bring along more of the low abv stuff next year. ;)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

- consider replacing the kueki rear lights with stock, so  won't shit talk my car next year 😄

Tail light preference be damned...I need to keep inside thoughts inside! Style your car however you like!

• Haha 2

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

13 minutes ago, jaylew said:

Tail light preference be damned...I need to keep inside thoughts inside! Style your car however you like!

Lol! Doesn't matter to me bro.

I benefitted from your choice to go to post-facelift, which I do not prefer. So, yeah... style away!

• Like 2

Before I forget, here is the link to Eastern Beaver, where i sourced my connectors and pins that are directly plug and play with a lot of our OE harness connectors.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

I use the TS040, SWP, TS090 pins and connectors housings. The pins are plug and play with most of our car's plugs if you want to repin existing harness and eliminates having to solder pigtails! The website also has crimpers. This is a nugget of a supplier out of Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

17 minutes ago, jaylew said:

Before I forget, here is the link to Eastern Beaver, where i sourced my connectors and pins that are directly plug and play with a lot of our OE harness connectors.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

I use the TS040, SWP, TS090 pins and connectors housings. The pins are plug and play with most of our car's plugs if you want to repin existing harness and eliminates having to solder pigtails! The website also has crimpers. This is a nugget of a supplier out of Japan.

My wallet just whimpered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Entire websites.  Wow, things have moved fast.  I used to have to order samples from Alibaba and then verify my order matched my samples when buying connectors to make boost control solenoids and the like.  It was hit and miss finding the correct male and female connectors to match OEM harnesses.  Took years to find coil pack connectors, etc to perform standard repairs.  You guys have it easy. 

• Like 2