LegacyGT.com

So, you want to drive your 15 year old LGT to a meet eh?

KZJonny

Not sure if Subaru still sells them. But new brackets were inexpensive at one time.  Otherwise its 2 bolts mounting it. Pull the bracket and bend it back in a vice. 

Sucks stuck under a car on jack stands. Get that 2 post operational.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KZJonny said:

image.thumb.jpg.bbc549cfc9d76a08f0df261bd851709b.jpg

Small stack of high performance spacers takes care of the gap between the DP and the factory hanger. I guess they must have welded the bracket on just a little fore of where is was supposed to be?

Aside from that, love the GS downpipe.

I'd be concerned about that getting loose over time. The bracket has that hook keeping DP in place which in this setup is not utilized for its purpose.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Pull the bracket and bend it back in a vice. 

35 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

The bracket has that hook keeping DP in place which in this setup is not utilized for its purpose.

Noted. This just gets the car on the road this Spring, and probably to the meet and back. This falls in that category of stuff that is still on my radar, but doesn't get the time to be properly fixed until more critical issues are resolved.

Last night I pulled C0105, 0111 and 0109 from the onboard reader. This is what I thought was just the passenger rear speed sensor, but after swapping two others in, and cleaning all contacts and ground, it persists. So, either I've got a bigger problem, or this is one where I need to drive around a while after putting the new parts in for the code to clear... We shall see, I think I have the car out on the road for a shakedown no later than this weekend.

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

Get that 2 post operational.

Nothing would please me and my back more than for that to happen. Part of my "to do" list for the weekend is to try and put together the forms needed to apply for my electrical permit for the garage. It's about time, and I could really use some fixed lighting out there.

I do not have the money for it, nor the wiring and with interest at the highest levels in recent memory, it's not a great time to use my CC or LOC, but just this once it might be worth it. I was raised on the principal that if you haven't got the cash, you can't have it, which has kept me out of trouble financially through my life. In this case tho, I think it's silly to have spent so much time money and sweat to put this stupid garage up to not borrow the couple thousand it will take to make it more useable....

• Like 2

Cost of all that compared to shipping me in a box (I weigh maybe 145lbs).  Like a "pop goes the weasel" music box I will wire it all up and slap that post in the buttocks.  You can apply for permits later.  Tis better to seek forgiveness than ask for permission. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Cost of all that compared to shipping me in a box (I weigh maybe 145lbs).  Like a "pop goes the weasel" music box I will wire it all up and slap that post in the buttocks.  You can apply for permits later.  Tis better to seek forgiveness than ask for permission. 

Careful. I may take you up on that.

I could overnight ship you for a reasonable amount!! 🤪

I might need a "vacation".  I have wired my fair share of residential and commercial buildings as well as my own shop and assembled/installed all my own lifts (in 2 shops) and dyno.  Its the body that slows me down these days.  F@ck getting old.  I understand the need for better tools to get the job done. 

• Like 2

Btw ladies for any shipping needs now I use https://ship.pirateship.com/

Full disclosure - I am not affiliated with that service but after getting badly burnt on shipping some of those used parts I wised up and actually googled shipping cheaper than USPS. I could have saved so much money...

807AA30E-5455-470D-8674-8803D2D1D2E3.thumb.png.6c3ce7e5c434d11f195629d013ee68a9.pngB16BEF4F-4233-41C6-9041-FBAD530BB37A.thumb.png.0a221f43453fb2afaf0ea885a394418e.png5438C6AC-12C5-4252-B2FB-7254AAC481B6.thumb.jpeg.2dd80088710769e48bd65d893180d82b.jpeg

@m sprank

uhm… i guess this is kind of jacking the thread; but it’s also mine.

How close are you to Alabama?

This is via facebook, but I figured since you’re not going for a GT, you could spend the small dollars for something NA, old, but classy.

If you can live with a rat rod 240Z, there are a couple here that need saving.

I’d be in a truck right now to pick one up if I were not dirt broke, and had nowhere to put it. 🙄

• Like 1

Group is called Datsun Parts and Needs.

I only mention it because they’re gonna go, so just in case.

Really can be a cheap car to fix. They rot at the front frame rails, and all the usual, but there are plenty of places that make affordable weld in panels

The original L24 is not fast, but sounds good. If you don’t want that, you can shove whatever junkyard V8 you like in there.

pretty affordable car to rebuild if you’re not trying to find an original everything…. Hah!

• Thanks 1

Ordered stuff needed to do my headlights. I am going to give acetone vapor a try.

I plan to drive my car with the face lift front end to the memorial day races at Lime Rock park. Its a great place to show off my car to the maybe 1 person that will walk and appreciate what is pretty much a totally stock car lol

• Like 2

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 hour ago, jaylew said:

Ordered stuff needed to do my headlights. I am going to give acetone vapor a try.

Huh. Had to look that one up. Post results, that’s really pretty interesting.

It looks a little to me like the success is made in the prep work, much like painting, so I don’t know how much time you’ll save vs. all that and then clear coating. But, if you’re like me and botch the clear coat, then potentially lots? 😐

My car is sitting on quick jacks since Saturday. I posted in "what did you do" thread. Duh.

• Haha 1

Finally got the old pcv out. Only difference I can see is that it seems to be sticking, cause when I shake the new one I can here something rattle around. When I shake my old one I don't hear anything moving around. I'm assuming air is going straight into the block from the turbo inlet to pcv connection. Not sure of anything at this point. Next I have to install the used harness, and redo my oil pan seals. Also going to use ultra black instead of ultra grey this time. 

• Like 4

part of the way to crossing something off my list. I worked on headlights this weekend. Now I need to reseal the housing. I'll put more detail on my build thread since this is the most significant thing I've done to the car in the past year

after.jpg

before.jpg

during.jpg

• Like 4

Steering Rack Rebuild

4 hours ago, jaylew said:

part of the way to crossing something off my list. I worked on headlights this weekend. Now I need to reseal the housing. I'll put more detail on my build thread since this is the most significant thing I've done to the car in the past year

after.jpg

before.jpg

during.jpg

Looks great dude. Can’t wait to see what you came up with for the acetone vapour treatment. I am assuming it was DIY, not purchased but could certainly be wrong.

This weekend I drove my GT like a normal person that just owns a car….

And it didn’t break! 😜 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Still have the car on quickjacks. Have to spend some time and get it done this week, otherwise the ECM plans can be in trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enlight said:

Has anyone noticed on their top feed injectors that one side is more scrunched than the other? This is true of both sides.

fuel_rail.jpg

Sadly I don’t have top feeds…. But maybe get out some calipers and see how much difference there is between the sides? Not my area of expertise, but I don’t love how those grommets are sitting between the fuel rail and the injector. Could just be the photo tho, but they don’t look terribly uniformly squished….

• Like 1

I suspect it is just the injector. If you pushed the left injector up or the right injector down manually they would be even.  Top feed injectors are not torqued into place.  They have a slight amount of up/down play.  This is normal.  When the fuel pressure hits, they all push down with pressure. Its part of the seal.  

Edited by m sprank
  • Thanks 1

KZ Jonny, tonight I plan to swap the front end now that the new headlights are done. Which in turn frees up my old headlights for ya. I added some new butyl and resealed the lens to the back housing

Also the current state is following the acetone vapor treatment. Just need to do a ceramic coat to UV protect them. All in all fairly straight forward and easy to fix mess ups.

done.jpg

oven.jpg

• Like 4

Steering Rack Rebuild