LegacyGT.com

So, you want to drive your 15 year old LGT to a meet eh?

KZJonny

18 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

Are you referring to 05-06 pre-facelift or 07-09 post-facelift?

For my pre-facelift '05, I swapped in a JDM 3.0 Spec B front bumper and headlight mounts and was able to use the USDM fender liners and undertray (which was later replaced with a skid plate) and they fit just fine.

That's a real good news for me, I might just try to swap in my 09 JDM Spec B front end before the trip then. Did not want to drive down with no fender liners and no undertray.

What about JDM headlights? How bad is the lights pattern without RHD to LHD conversion? I will do a proper conversion alter (have all parts) but with the time line pressing I might just try putting them on as is.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

38 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

Are you referring to 05-06 pre-facelift or 07-09 post-facelift?

For my pre-facelift '05, I swapped in a JDM 3.0 Spec B front bumper and headlight mounts and was able to use the USDM fender liners and undertray (which was later replaced with a skid plate) and they fit just fine.

I went from 07 Pre-Facelift to 08-09 JDM facelift and the fender liners and undertray from the 07 definitely did not fit correctly with the JDM Facelift fenders/bumper. 

It looks like from your pic you are using USDM headlights and fenders with a JDM facelift bumper, but there is a difference when running the Facelift JDM fenders/bumper 

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

21 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

That's a real good news for me, I might just try to swap in my 09 JDM Spec B front end before the trip then. Did not want to drive down with no fender liners and no undertray.

What about JDM headlights? How bad is the lights pattern without RHD to LHD conversion? I will do a proper conversion alter (have all parts) but with the time line pressing I might just try putting them on as is.

If you are even slightly lowered it will not be noticeable to oncoming traffic imo, but that could also be that my lights are aimed lower as to not blind on coming traffic as well.  

I would say put them on line them up and lower them just slightly with the adjustment leveling knob and you should be fine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Which skid plate did you go with, or perhaps made one up for yourself? (I appreciate your bringing your old one along for me, but eventually, I think a proper metal unit will be in my future plans.)

Kzr750r said he had the primitive model and was pretty blase about it.... He we neither impressed, nor unimpressed....

I guess for the money I'd like to get something legitimately good. Not just acceptable.... Or I'll go to the trouble of making my own....

I have the primitive skid plate and I love it.

I got the thicker 3/16" version, it's solid. 

It's three bolts and is super easy to remove if needed.

I also have the rear diff plate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

I went from 07 Pre-Facelift to 08-09 JDM facelift and the fender liners and undertray from the 07 definitely did not fit correctly with the JDM Facelift fenders/bumper. 

It looks like from your pic you are using USDM headlights and fenders with a JDM facelift bumper, but there is a difference when running the Facelift JDM fenders/bumper 

I'm now running pre-facelift JDM headlights, brackets, and bumper (all '05). 

I think the post-facelift swaps you have to do fenders as well, but you don't for pre-facelift.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

I'm now running pre-facelift JDM headlights, brackets, and bumper (all '05). 

I think the post-facelift swaps you have to do fenders as well, but you don't for pre-facelift.

😄 but you didn't do a post facelift swap, and that is what he is asking about.

There is a difference between pre-facelift and post facelift but I don't recall the USDM fender liners fitting correctly since I remember loosing a fender liner after doing that swap on my first legacy.

The bigger problem is when you are going from usdm pre-facelift to jdm post-facelift.  As soon you swap fenders and bumper the usdm fender liners and undertray no longer fit.  Now if you were going from usdm Post facelift to jdm post-facelift the fender liners and undertray may fit but I would need to check with a girl I know to see how it fits on hers and I can let you know.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Added a picture of where the Pre-facelift fender liner sits on jdm Post-Facelift bumper/fenders, they are just tucked into the bumper, but fastened on the inner wheel well. 

I usually run a skid plate but have been tweaking suspension and other thing and haven't gotten around to re-installing it.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tysparks81 said:

😄 but you didn't do a post facelift swap, and that is what he is asking about.

There is a difference between pre-facelift and post facelift but I don't recall the USDM fender liners fitting correctly since I remember loosing a fender liner after doing that swap on my first legacy.

The bigger problem is when you are going from usdm pre-facelift to jdm post-facelift.  As soon you swap fenders and bumper the usdm fender liners and undertray no longer fit.  Now if you were going from usdm Post facelift to jdm post-facelift the fender liners and undertray may fit but I would need to check with a girl I know to see how it fits on hers and I can let you know.  

Yeah, that's why I was asking which one 😄

I can imagine going from USDM pre-facelift to JDM post-facelift would have different geometry and mounting points (at least shifted a bit).  I just wanted to clarify the context of which scenario we were talking about.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

Yeah, that's why I was asking which one 😄

I can imagine going from USDM pre-facelift to JDM post-facelift would have different geometry and mounting points (at least shifted a bit).  I just wanted to clarify the context of which scenario we were talking about.

All good bud

I was able to confirm even for usdm post-facelift to jdm post-facelift it doesn't really fit, some places are zip tied, and kind of tucked up under the lip to hold them in place.  That person only swapped on the jdm post-facelift bumper and is running usdm fenders & headlights with usdm fender liners and under tray.

Edited by tysparks81
  • Like 2

As I have no car and the wife says I cant build one now, think I can sim drive to the meet?  I think I can swing a basic sim set up if I Mcgeyver a cockpit and use existing parts around the garage and basement.  

@Infosecdad can swing by and swap the wheel for a flight stick to play F-15 Strike Eagle on his 8088 with a 5.25" floppy drive and a CGA monitor.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, m sprank said:

As I have no car and the wife says I cant build one now, think I can sim drive to the meet?  I think I can swing a basic sim set up if I Mcgeyver a cockpit and use existing parts around the garage and basement.  .

I'm already bringing lgt parts to the meet. bringing @m sprank to the meet would be only a slight increase in hassle.

Im looking for a place to hang out for a few days before the meet. Figured on spending the week playing on local roads, just need to find a bed.

I have a vehicle, just not a car specifically.  4runners are very versatile, but no fun on road. 

You are still welcome to pit stop at my place.  I have a guest room with a queen bed. 

Edited by m sprank

3 hours ago, m sprank said:

As I have no car and the wife says I cant build one now, think I can sim drive to the meet?  I think I can swing a basic sim set up if I Mcgeyver a cockpit and use existing parts around the garage and basement.  

@Infosecdad can swing by and swap the wheel for a flight stick to play F-15 Strike Eagle on his 8088 with a 5.25" floppy drive and a CGA monitor.

@m sprank I still have pristine OEM headers from your car sitting in the box....

• Sad 1

@tysparks81 @Infosecdad Based on what I've read here it seems to be that my 09 JDM swap will have to be done after this meet. Reality is the car is still on quick jacks.

Thank you for your info!

Edited by SubOperator
  • Like 2

On 5/29/2023 at 1:51 PM, Infosecdad said:

I have the primitive skid plate and I love it.

I got the thicker 3/16" version, it's solid. 

It's three bolts and is super easy to remove if needed.

I also have the rear diff plate.

Dang! So I took a look at the Primitive website again, and those things do look sweet. I didn't see a diff plate available for our chassis, but it might be?

My next question would be this: Not to turn down the incredible generosity of getting your old undertray, but I would have to assume it would probably suffer the same fate that mine has over time: brittle plastic and breaking.

BUT, Fedex Offers Home Delivery  which as the name implies is not good for shipping to commercial addresses (like my US side mailbox service...) It is $75 dollars less to ship via this method that the cheapest alternative. That's like 1/3 the cost of the skidplate!

Anyone close enough to the even willing to let me ship a skidplate to their place who would be willing to bring it along? Or who I could go and collect it from? Pretty sure that could easily be installed at the campgrounds. -$75 in shipping and no customs charges? Sounds like it's time to ante up and get a nice skid plate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@m sprank is bringing his 4runner. Maybe he could haul parts too

Did you ask the campground if you could ship something to them?

I didn't notice my oem undertray getting brittle but  I was on my second one. The race wagon and the baja obxt both have the 3/8" primitive undertray. They are beefy. If you dent one, you going to remember the experience.

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Dang! So I took a look at the Primitive website again, and those things do look sweet. I didn't see a diff plate available for our chassis, but it might be?

My next question would be this: Not to turn down the incredible generosity of getting your old undertray, but I would have to assume it would probably suffer the same fate that mine has over time: brittle plastic and breaking.

BUT, Fedex Offers Home Delivery  which as the name implies is not good for shipping to commercial addresses (like my US side mailbox service...) It is $75 dollars less to ship via this method that the cheapest alternative. That's like 1/3 the cost of the skidplate!

Anyone close enough to the even willing to let me ship a skidplate to their place who would be willing to bring it along? Or who I could go and collect it from? Pretty sure that could easily be installed at the campgrounds. -$75 in shipping and no customs charges? Sounds like it's time to ante up and get a nice skid plate.

You could ship it to my place in TN, I can haul it up in the wagon if needed.

https://get-primitive.com/product/armor-skidplates-and-protection/rear-differential-skidplates/uni-rear-differential-skidplate/

This is the rear diff plate that I have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I updated my post that had the list of tasks....I am really good at paying attention to the fine difference between "must do" and "nice to do" (heavy sarcasm) . Also I need a new windshield now. On a weekend trip, I had a bolder thrown up at me and now it needs replacing. Luckily that is just a phone call away and not me doing the labor (insurance covers it)

Any advice when safelite comes to replace my windshield? Only 2 concerns is the wiring for the heated wipers, and any paint chipping up during glass removal (i don't want bare metal when the new glass is installed)

• Sad 1

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

49 minutes ago, Infosecdad said:

You could ship it to my place in TN, I can haul it up in the wagon if needed.

https://get-primitive.com/product/armor-skidplates-and-protection/rear-differential-skidplates/uni-rear-differential-skidplate/

This is the rear diff plate that I have.

Very cool. Doesn’t show fitment for ‘05 Legacy MT, but it does for OB. I don’t know why it would not fit?

I do have an Outback aluminium (finned for cooling?) diff cover I had planned to swap on, if that is the qualifier.

I’ll take a second look, but I was probably just going to grab the 1/8” thick version. This is a street car, and aside from jaunts down gravel to get to trailheads, I can’t imagine actually hitting the thing. I’m more concerned with effective air flow/protection from random road trash hitting the filter etc…

Figure aluminium will last longer near the uncoated manifold as well… tho I may send it out to Jet Hot or Kool Coat for ceramic one of these days when the car is down for the winter. We’ll see.

• Like 1

I will bring all that I can fit.  I can make two trips as I plan on driving home between days anyhow. 

If someone needs parts delivered (within reason, I dont want to haul transmissions or long blocks) I can assist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so who's bringing quick jacks? I'm sure we can find a corner to lay down a tarp for a work day.

My brake job got delayed. Looks like I'm doing it just before I leave and the diff flush in Atlanta. Best laid plans.

My drive to Atlanta suffered from poor planning. I arrive a day early to Tennessee. Tail of the dragon is 1 hour away from the hotel. My subconscious scored. :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, boxkita said:

so who's bringing quick jacks? I'm sure we can find a corner to lay down a tarp for a work day.

My brake job got delayed. Looks like I'm doing it just before I leave and the diff flush in Atlanta. Best laid plans.

My drive to Atlanta suffered from poor planning. I arrive a day early to Tennessee. Tail of the dragon is 1 hour away from the hotel. My subconscious scored. :)

I was thinking of bringing ramps because they are a good bit lighter.  

I could bring my quick jacks, but that's a good bit of weight in the tail and we would need to solve the power requirement.

• Like 2