LegacyGT.com

So, you want to drive your 15 year old LGT to a meet eh?

KZJonny

So... for a combination of laughs, and serious to do list, I thought it might be entertaining to list the things I need to do to/for my 2005 GT in order to make it a better than even chance of making it to Carlisle and back again without catastrophic breakdown.

I'm going to make a list, leave it in the post and them hopefully edit/strikethrough the stuff as I accomplish it. I am not the best or fastest mechanic in the world, and getting started in February in Canada means I won't *really* be starting for a while either. At present I've got some major hurdles to get through before I can even really start working. One of the big ones will be deciding to ignore the time and money demands it will take to install the 2 post Bendpak that is arriving next week in favour of the time and money it will take to fix the car on time for June. I have money for one or the other right now, definitely not both. 🙄

I'll start. List will probably get longer over time. Might get divided into needs and wants at some point.

- RR wheel speed sensor/CEL for ABS - done - new/used ss installed, everything has been contact cleanered, let's see if the code clears - 05/23 - code did not clear !! 😬 new unused part arrived on the weekend. hopefully that will take care of it, and it's not a break in the wiring further upstream... we will see. worst case I don't have ABS for the trip, which isn't the end of the world, I do not expect to be driving fast in the rain, nor locking up the brakes... Aaaaaahhhh!! New part arrived and did not solve the problem. I suppose not it is pinning out the connector and finding out what signal is not getting where... FML.
- rear sway bar bracket supports (install) - done
- install RSB end links, may need shims   - done. On to the fronts - done - which were MOOGs that have now been donated to the OBW
- remove and replace rotted lower rad bar + 2 x rad supports -done - needs a few more nuts and bolts to secure it all properly, but the worst is over, rusted failing parts are gone and new shiney OE bits are holding the rad securely in place.
- rebuild outer CV joint by turbo * - sort of.... Replaced with Cardone unit for now, no time to rebuild, but I have 3 spares lying around now, so I should be able to make at least one good OEM axle from all that...
- replace windscreen - nope
- install AOS - nope
- ideally, install SMFW and Spec Clutch (probably won't happen) - it did not,no
- bleed brakes!! - this one should get done... - not even, old fluid ftw
- install oil press gauge (?where?) - ahah.....HAHAHAH!!
- do at least basic rust removal and primer on terrible rear quarters -  problem solved and I didn't even need to get my welder out...
- re-install lower sills .....maybe? I I suppose I really should, the car looks ridiculous wirthout them, but they're also been off for 2++ years?
- diagnose and fix A/C system (that is a big maybe)  - diagnosed: system works perfectly when full of refigerant, but it leaks/leaked? Let's see how the A/C system sealant refrigerant combo works. I bet it doesn't do much.
- figure our what wiring is needed to wire '07 centre console aux-in port to the stereo to get an actual aux-in - Negatory.
Need to add a bracket to my DP to pick up the hanger at the tail end of the transmission. - done
-restore headlight assemblies, not smart doing any night driving as they are now - done. poorly. -Still have some scratches, and I do not thing I got all the clearcoat off, but they are at least clean and clear and will not reduce the light output from the headlights. So, good enough... 
- shall I go on, or am I already dreaming? I may have been high when I originally proposed doing all of those things. 😬

😗

I think this list will shortly be truncated to just the Speed sensor, rad support and installing the sills, maybe bleed the brakes because of the scenic group cruise... 2 months to go and I already don't know how I will ever find time for the rest... April. 10th

Edited by KZJonny
Edited to reflect reality/timeline.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, boxkita said:

i see a couple must do's and a slew of "i bot s lift so now I need to justify it " items.

aos is useless unless racing.

body work? meh

Oh, I don’t need to justify that at all. I could have, and probably should have just bought a lightly used new car outright for the amount I am in to my garage + lift + electrical to power the whole thing.

By the logic of don’t spend money on nice things, we’d all drive a Yaris.

I know plenty of the list is optional, but I’m poking fun at myself, and the age of the car and everything wrong with it. And it is still the nicest and most reliable vehicle I own!!

(If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the AOS. I drank the kool-aid.... But I'll just lose money if I sell it, and I've never read anywhere that they do any harm. Correct me if I am wrong about the latter.)

Edited by KZJonny

I'll join in.

Must do:

-Buy all the Supertech oil available from local walmarts That was easy. Just hit order and it 6x 5qrt containers showed up

- bleed the brakes. Fluid is coming up on 4 years old likelihood of happening before the meet 56% chance

- Clean off some paint I stupidly put on the machined surface of the knuckles where wheel bearings go. (Don't tell me how I am an idiot...I already know that). Car has been driving fine, it just not the correct thing to have done likelihood of happening before meet 0% chance

- Maybe fix / replace all evap lines for the gas tank....maybe a new tank too 🙄. Not mission critical as it still runs fine but it'd be nice to have that not leak every now and again likelihood of happening before the meet 0% chance

- replace windshield. This is bumped up since a bolder decided to hit me...eh its been over due to be replaced anyway

Nice to do:

- refinish face lifted headlights likelihood before meet - idk but I made a promise

- install face lifted front bumper and fenders likelihood before meet - idk but I made a promise  Complete!!! Because prioritizing this above the "Must do" makes total sense

- replace leather wrap on steering wheel lol

- the list goes on for mods as I am sure that's the case for most everyone here

-

• Like 4

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

Grimmspeed catted. It has one, but for whatever reason doesn't quite mate properly with where it's meant to attach to the trans case. I forget now what the problem was, but after 2 months of grinding away all my evenings and weekends last summer doing all the install/overhaul work.... it got put on the "F-it, let's go drive" list.

Your mentioning it reminded me I either need to bend it, or fix something somewhere under there anyway.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, KZJonny said:

So... for a combination of laughs, and serious to do list, I thought if might be entertaining to list the things I need to do to/for my 2005 GT in order to make it a better than even chance of making it to Carlisle and back again without catastrophic breakdown.

I'm going to make a list, leave it in the post and them hopefully edit/strikethrough the stuff as I accomplish it. I am not the best or fastest mechanic in the world, and getting started in February in Canada means I won't *really* be starting for a while either. At present I've got some major hurdles to get through before I can even really start working. One of the big ones will be deciding to ignore the time and money demands it will take to install the 2 post Bendpak that is arriving next week in favour of the time and money it will take to fix the car on time for June. I have money for one or the other right now, definitely not both. 🙄

I'll start. List will probably get longer over time. Might get divided into needs and wants at some point.

- RR wheel speed sensor/CEL for ABS
- rear sway bar bracket supports (install)
- install RSB end links, may need shims
- remove and replace rotted lower rad bar + 2 x rad supports
- rebuild outer CV joint by turbo
- replace windscreen
- install AOS
- ideally, install SMFW and Spec Clutch (probably won't happen)
- bleed brakes
- install oil press gauge (?where?)
- do at least basic rust removal and primer on terrible rear quarters
- re-install lower sills
- diagnose and fix A/C system (that is a big maybe)
- figure our what wiring is needed to wire '07 centre console aux-in port to the stereo to get an actual aux-in
Need to add a bracket to my DP to pick up the hanger at the tail end of the transmission. 
- shall I go on, or am I already dreaming?

😗

what oil pressure gauge do you have? 

I used this 

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oem-to-1-8npt-oil-temperature-sensor-adapter.html.html

replaces the oil plug, and u stick the sensor in the middle. 

For the aux port, you just need i85 adapter I believe

https://tightfitfab.com/2005-2009-subaru-legacy-gt-outback-i85-adapter/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tehnation said:

what oil pressure gauge do you have? 

I used this 

https://www.killerbmotorsport.net/oem-to-1-8npt-oil-temperature-sensor-adapter.html.html

replaces the oil plug, and u stick the sensor in the middle. 

For the aux port, you just need i85 adapter I believe

https://tightfitfab.com/2005-2009-subaru-legacy-gt-outback-i85-adapter/

Correct. I have one of those adaptors somewhere, waiting to be installed. I think mine is mild steel tho, it was like $6. I’m just hoping I can install it on the rear galley to avoid having the oil light on all the time.

I’ll look at the i85 cable again, but I don’t think it is what I need, unfortunately. What I have is the  07’ factory console with an aux port, and an 07? OEM radio with a true aux on mode. The wiring in the car, however is of course, 05… so I need a patch adaptor for the wiring the runs under the console and behind the radio to get the pins right. Koolaid said he didn’t have anything that would do the job. There are no RCA jacks anywhere in the setup, that I am aware of… 😕

ahhh, my fault, brainfart, I was thinking oil temp, not pressure.  There's one in the back in the middle on the passenger side you could use like you said. My oil pressure gauge is 2 in 1, both temp and pressure, I stuck my pressure sensor in the block where your talking about and temp sensor in the oil pan, what I linked was an oil pan adapter..... wait why is your oil light on all the time?????? Is your oem pressure sensor connected or working properly?

hmmm, for the aux input, isn't there a factory wire that runs from the radio to the aux input in the center console? 

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru__/49311431__6022926/CONSOLE-BOX-CENTER-REAR-07MY-07MY/B13-930-04.html#92174

The bottom left, figure 830 with the A, I think that guy, can't find the part number. Did you get your radio and console from junkyard? I'm not sure if that is part of the body wire harness or just a simple cable. Someone may have the part number, but this has been done before I believe.   

4 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

wait why is your oil light on all the time?????? Is your oem pressure sensor connected or working properly?

Works fine. Just easier to access the factory oil press pickup point than the one at the back of the block. But, doing that will mean a permanent idiot light.

So, just doing it the longer/harder way accessing the rear galley.

And I’ll look at that parts, thanks! I’ll have to go back to the pinout diagrams I found somewhere to see if I can make sense of it. I know almost nothing about car stereo, so it isn’t intuitive for me to work out. I pretty much listen to CBC all day (Canadian NPR), so crazy speakers and what have you don’t do much for me. I just want to be able to patch my MP3 player in for longer road trips. (Like driving to Carlisle!!)

All this work just seems like too much.  What a hassle.  You should rent a truck and trailer. Drive the truck and trailer the car.  Bring the title.  

Leave the LGT and paperwork with me at the meet.  I will spot you $20 for gas. And you can enjoy the lighter drive home.  Then I will take all your hassles away. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

All this work just seems like too much.  What a hassle.  You should rent a truck and trailer. Drive the truck and trailer the car.  Bring the title.  

Leave the LGT and paperwork with me at the meet.  I will spot you $20 for gas. And you can enjoy the lighter drive home.  Then I will take all your hassles away. 

Yer all about trucking an lgt to you, aren't you @m sprank? :)

i'd sell fjuan's sedan for $1000 as is (no engine) everything else untouched just to get it out of the garage.

the blue wagon has some spendy stuff associated with it . minimum $7k with a running engine & sti 6mt

the outback wagon is $3000. comes with a shortblock needing a rebuild to replace the one with a ventilated cylinder wall. Not my doing. luggage space is filled with parts and 1000 mile failed engine. 6mt dual range. twin scroll turbo. suspension lift & off road bumpers 

• Thanks 1

I am too poor to buy a donor for much more. Most I have ever paid for a donor is $700.  In my experience we as enthusiasts value what we hold far more than the general public. Eventually, somone realizes they bit off more then thay can chew and I take the carcass.  My biggest issue is not being able to accept others work. So, when someone tells me about all the mods, all I think about is what I have to un-f@ck to meet my standards. If it can even be done after someone else starts.  I am not good at finishing others projects. I tossed a Saabaru in the trash (literally) when I closed my shop. Same for 2 foresters. Gave up as they were never going to make me happy. 

I know how frustrating a break down can be. I hope everyone gets it sorted and shaken down enough to make the trip. 

• Like 3

I'll chime in... 

Gotta buy new 3 season tires and install them. Clean out/clean up the car. That's about it...

Optional, finish wideband and boost gauge install, possibly start and finish my modding of an Outback front cover to put onto LGT. This car was my daily for 5½ years, I'd drive it just about anywhere. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KZJonny said:

And I’ll look at that parts, thanks! I’ll have to go back to the pinout diagrams I found somewhere to see if I can make sense of it. I know almost nothing about car stereo, so it isn’t intuitive for me to work out. I pretty much listen to CBC all day (Canadian NPR), so crazy speakers and what have you don’t do much for me. I just want to be able to patch my MP3 player in for longer road trips. (Like driving to Carlisle!!)

You just need a ready-made harness for the factory AUX enabled unit to connect it to 05. For mine I got this adapter with 2 RCA connectors from svxDC and then standard RCA-headphone connector from Amazon:

image.png.8c5c6b5d4966c0f39d2135c78cc2200f.png

image.png.be17b0abf38fc9f6216939db93352717.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

My must-have fix list is short:

1. Front passenger wheel bearing

2. Pass state inspection at the end of April with evap CEL coming up.

The nice-to-have list is MUCH longer:

1. JDM front end swap

2. Front rotors & pads replacement in attempt to get rid of sporadic front wheel shake when braking

3. Gas tank smell/leak fix when above 3/4

4. Bi-LED headlight conversion

5. New 18 tires for my 06SpecB rims

6. JDM spats

I already did the 2DIN EDM convo last night so that is complete... Will do a write-up one of these days before I forget.

• Like 3

I'm launching a Japan > NYC container sharing service this summer and I'm going to be using Bessie as a marketing car, so in addition to replacing the motor (waiting on heads from Vinny Ten Racing) I will be wrapping the entire car, hopefully I will have the wrap done in time for the meet as well.

• Like 3

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

9 minutes ago, boxkita said:

Yeah, fund it but can't open it. At first I thought "What did I say to get banned?"

• Haha 1