LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any oil/lubricant that can be safely used to install the fuel line hoses to the steel lines?

I never expected those two small fuel hoses to be so difficult to push on all the way in..

Is something like a very small amount of white lithium grease safe to use inside fuel lines? Just enough to push them in where they belong..

• 2 months later...

Hey all, it's been a while, been pretty busy with family/work. 

Here's an update of the work I've done so far.

Cleaned the TGVs..

Cleaned TGV 1.jpg

Cleaned TGV 2.jpg

Bought some newer fuel lines..

Newer fuel lines.jpg

Wrapped the fuel lines as they were before..

Newer fuel lines wrapped.jpg

Also got some newer injectors and all new O-rings for them..

Newer injectors with new O-rings.jpg

Cleaned both sides of the T/B..

Cleaned Throttle Body 1.jpg

Got some new vacuum lines.. and a few more on the way..

New PCV valve assy & vacuum lines.jpg

Cleaned Throttle Body 2.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

I was excited to have successfully depinned and installed two new connector for my first time ever.

Took my time being careful installing one pin at a time.. though I'm not sure what the iWire small black O-ring included with the Spark Plug connector is for. The old plug broken connector didn't have it.

First time successfully depinning a connector.jpg

New spark plug connector.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

Please help me identify these broken connectors. If I'm not mistaken, based on the FSM, they are the Coolant Temperature Sensor and Fuel Injector #4 connectors.

Either iWire sent me one wrong connector or I ordered the wrong one..

Coolant Temp sensor connector.jpg

Fuel injector connector.jpg

Engine Wiring Harness.png

Engine Wiring Harness list of connectors.png

Edited by RumblyXT

The 2nd pic thats an injector plug, to verify it is then just check the other one that looks exactly like it, if you have 2 of the same plugs on that loom they are either the injectors or coil pack, and we can see the coil packs, so the other pair are the injectors. Or you can just try connecting it to your injectors, it looks like they are already out! 

The 1st pic hmmm, could be the crank position sensor, cause that and the oil pressure sensor(the spade tab connection) should be next to each other. Actually the crank/cam sensors are grey I think, so that dirty thing that looks black but is actually grey is probably the cps. It is the coolant sensor I think,  I will double check in the morning.

https://iwireusa.com/collections/1-2-pin-replacement-plugs/products/coolant-temperature-sensor-plug-d

I was having problems identifying them because the previous owner sprayed the engine with black paint..😐 maybe to hide some of the surface rust.. so the connectors colors really don't match the FSM data. 

Thank you for helping out Tehnation, that's what I thought.

• 2 weeks later...

So I need to make a custom gasket between the turbo and the I/C mating surfaces, the old one is half destroyed.. do you guys think this material would be ok to use? I'm not sure how high a temperature is generated there or if I should get a Viton type gasket..

I was thinking of getting this one, it states it can withstand up to 450F.. or if you have other suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Silicone-Durometer-Commercial-Adhesive/dp/B096N2Q6GM/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2OEYK7AN7LRF2&keywords=viton+rubber+sheet+1mm&qid=1665170448&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIxLjc1IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=viton+rubber+sheet+1mm%2Caps%2C115&sr=8-3

Edited by RumblyXT

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For a few more dollars, there is the silicon/aluminium version that won't wear out no matter how many times you install/uninstall it.

Recommended by JMP who built my turbo, and it sealed up first time, no hassle.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-738g?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnP-ZBhDiARIsAH3FSReTgMZl2G04JcuoX9S8bby4rBxtmvLE7tLFEoUcgvzev-ILPdC4l5saAqZqEALw_wcB

Available elsewhere, just the first link I found.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's ok to use/has been used since you guys are recommending it. But out of curiosity, the Chevy gasket even though it's intended for coolant use, could hold the high gas temps by the turbo - I/C?

Probably the coolant gets higher in temps than the turbo gases..

Thank you

Edited by RumblyXT

• 2 weeks later...

I was having some issues routing the vacuum lines, these cars have a shit tone of them lol.. I’m very glad I found this diagram, it even includes my GS boost controller. Maybe this will help others too.

C45C81E6-8239-4F95-BB6E-9CB0C4301ED7.jpeg
And for some of the special vacuum clamps, I didn’t have those fancy, very nice Knipex pliers, but these cheap HF ones do the trick very well..

D907546A-E735-4A2D-BE9E-EA1CA1FD7F9F.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

The car will be serviced soon by Subaru for free for a recall on the passenger air bag. A technician who works for Subaru actually tracked my car/home address, I’m guessing by the vin# and Ins records and came to my house to try doing it here, but stated the work needed to be done at the dealer.

A flat bed is picking the car this Friday. Have any of you guys done this before? Just making sure this is legit. The car does have the recall so..

Edited by RumblyXT