LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

Right, the manual belt guide.. I forgot about it. I remember the ej251 used to have one too.

Some more detailed info about the jdm EJ20X/Y motors..

These two motors are basically the same, The X was used in Automatic packages, and the Y in Manual packages. These both had different turbo sizes except for the JDM 07+ legacy BL5 (sedan) and BP5 (Wagon). EJ20X/EJ20Y are open deck engines whereby the cylinder walls were supported at the three and nine o’clock positions. It came with an aluminium alloy block with 92.0 mm bores – with cast iron cylinder liners – and a 75.0 mm stroke for a capacity of 1994 cc. with thicker cylinder walls than ej25 The crankcase for the EJ20X and EJ20Y engines had five main bearings and the flywheel housing was cast with the crankcase for increased rigidity. The EJ20X engine is understood to have a forged crankshaft and connecting rods, but cast aluminium pistons with forged crowns. The EJ20X and EJ20Y engines had an aluminium alloy cylinder head with cross-flow cooling, double overhead camshafts (DOHC) per cylinder bank and four valves per cylinder that were actuated by roller rocker arms. The EJ20X and EJ20Y engines were the first EJ engines to be equipped with Subaru’s ‘Dual Active Valve Control System’ (‘Dual AVCS’) which provided variable intake and exhaust valve timing. For the BL.I Legacy GT, the EJ20X engine was fitted with a twin-scroll IHI VF38 turbocharger; the EJ20Y engine, however, had a larger twin-scroll Mitsubishi TD04 HLA 19T turbocharger. For the revised BL.II Legacy GT, both the EJ20X and EJ20Y had an IHI VF44 turbocharger for the initial 2006 model year, replaced the following year with the IHI VF45.

Both came with a 9.5:1 compression and a fast spooling turbo yields a torque filled performance. (265-280 bhp)

I’ve decided to go forward with the swap guys.. through the research and many videos I’ve watched I’ve decided it’s the best thing in my case. Just need to get a few things in order, then I’ll be getting the ej20x motor..

• Like 1

This will be my first time ever replacing an entire motor. I do have some experience of partially overhauling an ej251, but that one was way simpler (no AVCS gears, turbo, etc).

With that said, I hope to learn and will humbly appreciate any help/suggestions you can offer me.

Getting things ready and preparing/learning on what I will need to be do first once I receive the motor, do you guys think a cylinder leak down test is enough to know the health of the jdm motor or should I also do a compression test?

Edit: never mind the compression test, the engine has to be installed the car lol

Since the turbo gets oil from the motor, would I have to replace it also? 

Edited by RumblyXT

Leak down test is a very good start. Does the engine importer not provide compression figures, or any info? Not that usually do, or have to, I’ve just head that sometime it’s available.

I’ve pulled and re-installed exactly 1 EJ, so I don’t have as much advise as most here, but it’s pretty simple anyway. If you have or can borrow an engine crane, it’ll make life a lot easier, but aside from that there aren’t really any exotic tools required.

Getting the engine in one piece means you can adjust the timing belt before if goes in as well, which is nice. (Or replace it with a new one for piece of mind?)

5 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Leak down test is a very good start. Does the engine importer not provide compression figures, or any info? Not that usually do, or have to, I’ve just head that sometime it’s available.

I’ve pulled and re-installed exactly 1 EJ, so I don’t have as much advise as most here, but it’s pretty simple anyway. If you have or can borrow an engine crane, it’ll make life a lot easier, but aside from that there aren’t really any exotic tools required.

Getting the engine in one piece means you can adjust the timing belt before if goes in as well, which is nice. (Or replace it with a new one for piece of mind?)

I asked about compression test values. They don’t provide it unfortunately. They seem to have really good ratings though. I am aware it has become a shady jdm motor importing business. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I get a good one.

Either way, I’d like to perform a leak down and compression test to make sure everything is ok.

Thankfully, I kept all my Subi specialty tools and equipment (crane, stand, press, etc) from my previous ej251 job. The folks at SubaruForester.org forum were extremely helpful, I honestly couldn’t have done it without them.

Edited by RumblyXT

I feel pretty confident for the incoming job I have to do.

But honestly my biggest concern will be how to get around tuning that jdm motor since my car came with a few aftermarket parts: catless DP, CAI, Boost controller and aftermarket TMIC.

But the bad part is I was never given the tuning for the XT motor nor its Access Port..

Last thing I want is start driving with the jdm motor and then something happens to it because it’s not tuned properly.

Will have yo see once I’m there..

9 minutes ago, RumblyXT said:

^^Thank you. Yes I saw it. 👍🏻

Good. So yeah, I would definitely do a leakdown test (and compression test if you want). Since the engine would be on a stand, might as well check the valve clearance too. On our engines, exhaust valves can have a tendency to lose clearance over time. Recipe for burnt valve, loss of compression, bla bla bla.

I used a process something like this with an old chewed up belt to remove the cam gears as well, found it helpful.

https://youtu.be/vd9YeLGABJk

I didn't use the vice grip method, but wished I had. I had a picture somewhere of the 3-4 different clamps I had all over the place pinching belts and holding stuff where I needed it. Also saved me the $90 I didn't have to get the Company 23 tool as well.

I've also got an '05 LGT in my driveway that is being parted out. I could 100% dig out the ECM if you run into problems with yours being locked. It's from an auto... but I don't know if that matters? I think it's possible to delete/ignore transmission maps if they are there, but not easy to creat them when they are not.

^^Thank you Jonny, I will keep it mind. My OBXT is an automatic also so your '05 LGT ECM should work.

That guy in the video made it look easy, those intake/exhaust sprocket bolts weren't tight at all. I have seen people having to use an 8' long pipe to get enough leverage sometimes to loosen them.

I'm hoping the jdm motor is in pretty good condition with the valves within specs. But I will try to replace/renew as much as I can on it of what is needed. New spark plugs and valve cover gaskets will definitely be replaced. Luckily, I had recently replaced all new vacuum hoses and new PCV valve for the OBXT so those will get transferred onto the new motor.

However, since the old motor went bad due to a spun bearing, do you think I should replace the old turbo and new PCV as well? I didn't drive the car much at all when the motor gave out, but I'm concerned about contamination with very small shards of metal in the turbo/PCV valve..

Edited by RumblyXT

Would the PCV valve (which is new) and old turbo need to be replaced due to possible contamination on old engine? I wish I could use the twin scroll jdm turbo, but the flange doesn't match.

Motor was ordered this morning, should be here within 2-3 days!

Edited by RumblyXT

My gates kit from years ago came with a plastic spacer specifically to get correct spacing. Pretty neat. Manuals "benefit" from the guides, autos don't care. Since you have auto you don't need to worry. 

It would only be something to think about if your car was manual and the donor engine was auto. 

Edit: I only posted this after finishing the previous thread page and didn't click pg 7 lol. 

Edited by seanyb505
  • Haha 1

I received the motor today, very excited!

Upon a brief inspection I found a few things I didn't like: oil filler tube was broken and deep stick tube was bent.. not a bid deal, I can always use the ones from the older motor.

Left exhaust solenoid sensor was broken. I contacted the provider, they'll send a replacement. 

Shipping was super fast, only 1 day to receive the engine from Orlando to Miami. I was literally still organizing my garage when the truck came.

EJ20X.jpg

ej20x stamp.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 2