LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

3 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Wow! I remember when you were going to sell this car haha. 

I did sell it actually. Car belongs to brother in law now, but I had promised him I’d fix the A/C for him. 

Posted (edited)

Big progress considering the heat, having to work under an umbrella.

Evaporator, its lines, EV, Condenser and Compressor pressure lines with all new O-Rings are all in.

Tomorrow goes the Blower and actuators and it’s time for freon.

Edited by RumblyXT

Posted (edited)

All components are back in the car. But now the HVAC Control module/ unit below the radio is not turning On at all. It had been off for a good 6-7 months. Any tips?

Edited by RumblyXT

Posted (edited)

Will do. At least all the components are back on the car. I was finally pulling a vacuum on the system, getting ready to put refrigerant, then the Climate Control wouldn't turn on.

Well, I've been wanting to practice some electrical troubleshooting lol, here's my chance. We'll see..

Edited by RumblyXT

It just flat out doesn’t turn on? Do any of the buttons illuminate when you turn the lights on? If you push the recirc button does the fresh air indicator show up on the display?

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 9:01 PM, blackobxt said:

It just flat out doesn’t turn on? Do any of the buttons illuminate when you turn the lights on? If you push the recirc button does the fresh air indicator show up on the display?

Nothing, it's totally dead. Not a single button on the A/C Control Panel turns on. Not sure if it could be a ground issue too.

I will try to put the A/C system in Self-Diagnosis Mode tomorrow to see if it does anything.

Turns out there are 3 fuses involved with the A/C system:

(M/B No. 8 located in the Main Fuse Box

(F/B No. 22 and 31) located inside the Cabin in the Fuse & Relay Box

I remember my brother in law saying the 12V cigarette charger under the A/C control panel wasn't working a couple months ago, then my father in law bridged it, then replaced the fuse. Not sure if this might have had anything to do with affecting the A/C Control Panel since it's pretty close to it, probably part of the same circuit. idk.. this is just me analyzing what it could be..

Edited by RumblyXT

Fuses were fine, so was the Relay. A/C Connector gets power to be the back of the A/C Control Unit gets power. Also checked all connections behind radio, it turns on ok. Seems to be this Chinese Kenwood A/C control unit that stretched its leg.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1366.jpeg

1 hour ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Oh. That's not the stock one then.

Yeah.. The car has an aftermarket radio, looks like they installed this one long ago.

Posted (edited)

Had to order the Climate Control unit from eBay Japan. No way around it being it had a jdm component installed, I wasn’t going to take any chances. Not cheap at all compared to buying in the states, but it’s what’s needed to hopefully get the A/C going. Fingers crossed. 🤞🏻 

IMG_1392.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT

I have a request for when you finally get this going, after you charge the system (I’m assuming you’re going to charge it by weight) can you please post what temp you are getting out of the vent and the ambient temp. Since you are in Florida I’m sure the temps are going to be somewhat similar to mine and I’ve never been able to get stellar results out of my ac.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 7:18 PM, blackobxt said:

I have a request for when you finally get this going, after you charge the system (I’m assuming you’re going to charge it by weight) can you please post what temp you are getting out of the vent and the ambient temp. Since you are in Florida I’m sure the temps are going to be somewhat similar to mine and I’ve never been able to get stellar results out of my ac.

If I could only get the A/C Climate Control to work first.. even the one I ordered from Japan doesn’t turn on.. it can’t be broken also (I mean it’s a possibility, but I doubt it).

I don’t understand what’s going on, all three fuses are ok M/B #8, F/B #22 and F/B #31. A/C Relay clicks when tested..

We get power at the connector behind the A/C HVAC Climate Unit too.. but when I connect it, the unit doesn’t turn on.. sighs

Anyone knows what this connector is for? I don’t think I disconnected it before, and there’s nothing else around there to connect it to.

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT

Posted (edited)

The test lamp turns on at the connector on the back of the A/C HVAC Unit, but that may be grounds turning on, not signal from the PCM.

We have to look deeper into this, will be best to take it to a car electrician. I honestly don’t know enough to troubleshoot it.

Edited by RumblyXT

Just now, blackobxt said:

Not sure if it will help or not but here’s the jdm hvac thread 

I’ve installed several of these and never had any issues outside of forgetting to plug in the hazard button on my own car