LegacyGT.com

Marvick08GT's Ridiculous Build!

Well, somehow managed to blow up my transmission. 4th gear goes in (grinding) but has no power. Looking to get it rebuilt, nobody does this anymore? WTF East coast

Center differential and all tailshaft bearings done withing 3k miles.

Well, somehow managed to blow up my transmission. 4th gear goes in (grinding) but has no power. Looking to get it rebuilt, nobody does this anymore? WTF East coast

Center differential and all tailshaft bearings done withing 3k miles.

I have a new oem center diff and accompanying bearings for sale if you need them.

Farther away from you for sure but you might look at Zac Fothergill’s company ZF Design in Colorado. Thezfdesign.com he built my 6 speed for the track car and I’ll use him for my 5 speed in the future should I need it. Even being in Oregon, it was easy to deal with him and I got credit for many of the parts in my blown 5 speed that were still up to spec that he can use for future builds. Core and non core exchange options as well…

• 2 weeks later...

I am torn between a full rebuild ~6k and with front and rear cusco 1.5 diffs ~10k.

Need your help family, I know what differentials do, not sure how changing both would affect the car. Not sure if it is worth the 4k price difference, I usually roll on the street with very few events per year.

IMO, not worth the expense for the street. The 6mt is already better than the 5mt getting off the corners.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Based on how you're using the car, I'd just stay OEM as the expense probably isn't worth it. Also keep in mind that if you do put in aftermarket diffs they will need a rebuild at some point as they are a "wear item" that doesn't last long term

Appreciate the help, in my mind I was looking at the next failure point to be honest. I will probably rebuild the trans without the diffs, I spin bad coming out of corners, but not so much on the straight (where I usually push the car harder)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow! I was considering the PPG forks as well. How much did that end up costing you if you don’t mind sharing? Was there a considerable amount of lead time involved?

I spent more than I anticipated with my swap plus all the other things I had Rallispec do so I didn’t purchase a new FLSD. Based on their recommendation the helical FLSD is a robust unit and they have never seen one fail so that made me comfortable having a used one installed. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good news is the trans feels great, bad news is the engine is knocking... 2,779 miles...

At least the second engine they built lasted about 100 more miles than the first.. wtf? So ridiculous, shop tried to blame me the first time, wonder what they are going to say now? 🤔 

Wish me the best, I completely regret using this shop.  NOT fucking happy rn..

• Sad 2

The shop in question will not even look at the car now. Claimed that the transmission being damaged affected the engine and said i have no warranty and to kick dirt. 

Ready to stick my boot in their ass, if anyone in MD knows a good lawyer for this lmk. I will research tomorrow, have over 40k tied up in the build and all of my paperwork is in order. Ridiculous they can't build an engine to go 3k miles. Open to suggestions, but ready to decimate this shop.

• Sad 2

So you have a professionally built transmission (which is working great) and an engine they built which failed again. After proper break in!!?!

I am not a lawyer and have no clue. But I am so sorry to hear that dude. I can only imagine your frustration.

If public support can help, I’m in, and bet the community here has your back.

I’m only good for parts I could help you scrounge if needed, but reach out.

This shop refused to rebuild the transmission citing parts availability. I had the transmission rebuilt somewhere else. Yes, the first engine blew up around 2600 miles, they tried to blame me but obviously they did something wrong... The second engine is knocking at 2,779 miles. Haven't even looked at it because I shouldn't have to. Spent a fortune getting it built at a shop with a warranty so I didn't have to deal with this shit. The same shop completely built the engine, fuel system, turbo, and tune. (Let them do it all so I could have the warranty)

Yes, it was broken in per their instructions.

Motul break in mineral 10w40 at 500. Motul xcess g2 10w40 at 1000. Motul 300v comp 15w50 at 1500 and 2500... These were the exact oils and specs they asked for. I saved all of the old oil and filters because the first engine blew... 

I appreciate the words and support,  thank you to all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been super busy, but I hired a lawyer to handle this. He has looked over all of my paperwork, receipts and correspondence. He is confident i have a solid lawsuit. He mentioned it may take some time, but in the end there should be no issue. He is going to send notice of intent and see if they want to take responsibility and/or settle. If not, I will have the car torn down by IAG and they will document the issues found. This will give me the information I need to sue for damages and breach of contract as well.

• Like 2