LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

I live in NYC and people and businesses sacrificed a LOT to get to where we are today. Why did they do that? Because people were literally dying by the truckload. So many people were dying so fast that there was no place to put them. So they started putting them in refrigerated trucks and staging them in public parks while waiting for cremation. Funeral homes were going 24/7. It was horrifying.

That's what's really frustrating, because NYC gave us down here in Houston insight on how bad it can get, how to eventually come out of it, and how to keep numbers stable. We're now pretty much going through what NYC was in March, only there are still people resistant to doing something as simple as wearing a mask in public cuz "what about mah rights?"

107706419_10159128431394523_8649258621729888258_o.thumb.jpg.99d9e94e57316b954f244612729cc9df.jpg

I will say it was, at the very least, extremely irresponsible of the CDC to combine negative virus test results with negative anti-body results, AND THEN PUBLISH THAT DATA. Whether done willfully or ignorantly, this muddies the data to the point of it not being properly interpretable.

Another snippet from the New York Times today:

A 30-year-old Texas man who attended a “Covid party” died after being infected with the virus. Just before he died, he told his nurse: “I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I will say it was, at the very least, extremely irresponsible of the CDC to combine negative virus test results with negative anti-body results, AND THEN PUBLISH THAT DATA. Whether done willfully or ignorantly, this muddies the data to the point of it not being properly interpretable.

I'll go with ignorance. The feds are people and they sometimes make what I call "partially informed" errors....

Another snippet from the New York Times today:

A 30-year-old Texas man who attended a “Covid party” died after being infected with the virus. Just before he died, he told his nurse: “I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.

"Who cares about one guy." - the Right up in here.

I'll go with ignorance. The feds are people and they sometimes make what I call "partially informed" errors....

I would go with ignorance, but this is the Centers for Disease Control. They should know how to handle data and why mixing 2 test results is bad practice.

I would go with ignorance, but this is the Centers for Disease Control. They should know how to handle data and why mixing 2 test results is bad practice.

Totally agree they should! I've dealt with HHS issues for 20+ years as relate to clinical laboratory testing and have a long list of issues unaddressed.

Case in point. FDA has EUA'd a number of COVID dx/molecular tests based on using saliva. I recognize the importance of the appropriate, and properly collected, specimens - for many many tests it matters:

Nasopharyngeal swabs more effective than saliva samples for COVID-19 diagnostic testing

https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/nasopharyngeal-swabs-more-effective-than-saliva-samples-for-covid-19-diagnostic-testing-according-to-current-evidence/

On a related note, this is part of the problem with self swab test sites, like the CVS test locations.

That swab has to go waaaayyy up inside your nose/nasal cavity. My girlfriend got tested a month or so ago. It is very uncomfortable. Said the tester held her head in place while getting deep inside her. The average non-sadistic person won't swab themselves correctly, so if you're swabbing yourself, you almost certainly won't be collecting a good specimen

On a related note, this is part of the problem with self swab test sites, like the CVS test locations.

That swab has to go waaaayyy up inside your nose/nasal cavity. My girlfriend got tested a month or so ago. It is very uncomfortable. Said the tester held her head in place while getting deep inside her. The average non-sadistic person won't swab themselves correctly, so if you're swabbing yourself, you almost certainly won't be collecting a good specimen

Can confirm.

I had to be tested before coming out to work (offshore oil drilling rig).

Before the test, the nurse gave me a tissue that I didn’t know what to do with. After the first nostril, my eyes were watering like a fountain. Needed to collect myself before I let her go round 2 on my other nostril.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The covid death count numbers are being revised.

They are lower than what they are telling you.

Look for the proper number in the near future

Ignore the covid/not-covid thing for a minute and just compare total deaths this calendar year to total deaths over the same period in the last few years.

There's been about 145,000 more deaths this year.

Why?

Also called excess deaths.

Yep. And when you subtract the covid deaths from the excess deaths... you still have thousands of excess deaths left. Mostly those were attributed to pneumonia, which for some reason is a lot more common this year. Every week in April, a few thousand more deaths than usual were attributed to pneumonia.

But yeah let's pretend there's no pandemic going on. Let's have politicians produce the statistics instead of professionals. That approach worked so well for China, right?

Excess deaths will also include non-covid infections.

If a hospital is overcrowded, like happened in NYC, and is now happening in some of the new covid hotspots, that means lower quality of care for non-covid cases.

Like, person has a heart attack, can't get proper ER/ICU care, and dies, that's an excess death. Not a covid positive death, but still an excess death.

Excess deaths is the deaths that are over the expected amount of deaths regardless of cause, so if you have a huge mass-shooting taking out an entire large sports arena you'd also have excess deaths.

But so far I haven't seen anything else that could be the cause for excess deaths on the larger scale aside from Covid-19. There could be local events that causes fluctuations, especially in a small community where a single event can cause this.

Of course there will be deaths due to overloaded health care systems as well.

I'm not sure if the pneumonia cases are unrelated to Covid-19 though, those could very well be an effect of Covid-19 having weakened the immune system. So there's a grey zone.

But overall - if we look at the excess deaths then there's an overall indication of the impact of Covid-19, both from primary and secondary deaths.

And then we have a large chunk of people that have had Covid-19 but not died and then still suffers from the aftereffects.

453747.png

It's a little bit different, but I do get the point.

For everyone who doesn't want to wear a mask: don't. Just don't endanger other people as well. Stay home or keep your distance from other people. Because if you don't and lots of people in your community start getting sick, guess what? You gonna lose that right.

EDIT: How TF are you getting 28mpg??