LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

The hoarding sort of perpetuates itself - have a small group that buys everything, which drives folks that are looking for it (tp) to buy as much as they can when they do find it, because they don't know when they might see it again, all because of the first group that already has all the tp they need.

I saw that Costco has indicated they will not accept returns of tp, water, etc. to try and dissuade horders who figure they'll just bring back whatever they don't need once this ordeal is over.

How long do you guys think the quarantine/stay home thing is going to last? Models are predicting the peak for most states to be somewhere between early to late April, but we are looking at late May/early June for it to be well past...

Hard to say. The stay at home orders are probably pushing out the peak a bit, so it could be that as the number of cases continues to grow, we could see that the orders get extended. That's more or less what I'm planning on seeing here in Denver, anyway.

People are getting fed up where I am, I give it another week or two and people are just going to ignore the govt’ and the suggestion to shelter in place.

I have been traveling for work as per normal, just have to pack more food.

I am incredibly angry that my employer provided gym at the away from home terminal has been closed. I don’t watch TV in the hotel and usually hit the gym before or after sleeping between taking my assigned train home.

It's all about pushing out the peak right now, full isolation is almost impossible, and even during WWI when the Spanish Flu was hitting the world it was spreading pretty well.

Here's some "numbers" video that might be interesting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc]How To Tell If We're Beating COVID-19 - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

@ work is now up at 28 from 6, tested positive since last Friday.

NY, NJ and CT have a travel ban in place. I suppose to be in NY right now boarding onto the Norwegian Bliss from Manhattan cruise port.

I just remember I have (2) cousin living in NYC....oh well!!!!

Edited by amusa

How long do you guys think the quarantine/stay home thing is going to last? Models are predicting the peak for most states to be somewhere between early to late April, but we are looking at late May/early June for it to be well past...

Plausible guess at the future:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

But hopefully it won't peak at the same time everywhere.

The Seattle area got an early start, and while cases are still coming in, the rate has started to drop, which suggests that the restrictions are working. So we might get an early break - not soon, but after our hospitals recover from this first wave of patients.

But I suspect that loosening restrictions anywhere will also depend on strong supply chains for medical gear like N95 masks and other stuff that's currently still pretty scarce.

It would be monumentally stupid to invite another wave of patients while health care workers are still re-using disposable equipment and begging the community to drop off home-made surgical masks. If I was a doctor or nurse in state with leadership that dumb I'd just stay home at that point.

Plausible guess at the future:

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

But hopefully it won't peak at the same time everywhere.

The Seattle area got an early start, and while cases are still coming in, the rate has started to drop, which suggests that the restrictions are working. So we might get an early break - not soon, but after our hospitals recover from this first wave of patients.

But I suspect that loosening restrictions anywhere will also depend on strong supply chains for medical gear like N95 masks and other stuff that's currently still pretty scarce.

It would be monumentally stupid to invite another wave of patients while health care workers are still re-using disposable equipment and begging the community to drop off home-made surgical masks. If I was a doctor or nurse in state with leadership that dumb I'd just stay home at that point.

Where did you get that information from? I work in a Hospital we don't re-use the disposable mask, shoe bootie or the bunny suite (for the clean room and ORs). The only thing I don't dispose is my Hazmat suite it gets wash every time I take it off and my 3M 7800 full mask that gets wiped down with clorox wipe after each use.

Edited by amusa

I'm in a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to sourcing masks (commercial or improvised) with health care people dropping by periodically to ask for stuff and/or talking about how they're making do with what they have.

These are all in the last day or so:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwcovid19relief/permalink/670402790427863/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwcovid19relief/permalink/672751653526310/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pnwcovid19relief/permalink/672716093529866/

That's the regional group. There's also a non-location-specific group with similar stories from other places:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/permalink/682755809201481/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/permalink/683257529151309/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/permalink/676479423162453/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/opensourcecovid19medicalsupplies/permalink/682755809201481/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/hospital-makes-face-masks-covid-19-shields-from-office-supplies

I also have a couple of friends who are dentists, who packed up all of their PPE and took it to hospitals.

EDIT: story about the guy who started the Northwest group:

https://www.koin.com/news/health/coronavirus/local-3d-printers-help-with-medical-ppe-shortage/

Edited by NSFW

First Responders are taking a hit, plus people don't think about Police as much as medical staff in a pandemic like this but according to my bro in law they're dropping like flies at SPD. That's not to say they are dying, no, but the number of officers in quarantine either because they have it or have been exposed is growing daily. Just another reason to stay home.

King County Population 2019: 2.2 million

Number of ICU beds: 450

Number of cases: 2,200 (officially, but much higher in reality, probable more like 4000 conservatively).

if 20% of 4000 cases are severe, you would need 800 ICU beds to handle the influx of patients when you have 450. Next is choosing who lives or dies, and that is the reality of what we are facing put bluntly.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Police have no reason to be getting exposed at a significantly higher rate than anyone else.

The stupid fucks can avoid most average citizens by not being douchebag revenue collectors writing tickets. Alas most of them are too stupid to understand this. My local PD is a good example, they’re staffed with idiots.

Police have no reason to be getting exposed at a significantly higher rate than anyone else.

The stupid fucks can avoid most average citizens by not being douchebag revenue collectors writing tickets. Alas most of them are too stupid to understand this. My local PD is a good example, they’re staffed with idiots.

My best friend wo just made Sargent in Jefferson county (also a vet of Iraq/ Afghanistan before he became an LEO) basically said they are only responding to the real calls right now. Property theft, and other bullshit are not going to get any attention.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Someone got your memo here. What used to be bumper to bumper traffic for hours is now the Autobahn. I used to be lucky to hit 60 mph now getting passed going 80 in the slow lanes. At night you can actually be the only car in sight. It's unbelievable.

I sped past an unmarked car going 15 over in the HOV lane, and he ignored me LOL

It's getting crazy in Maryland. Most people are laid off/furloughed/let go or cut back on hours.

My company is finally implementing social distancing as a company policy and is guaranteeing us 32 hours pay minimum and only making us clock 24 hours a week.

It's not looking good though. Most of my friends and family were having weddings/vacations or buying homes a month ago.

Now and instead I'm using PTO to top up my checks. Should run out just in time for my 1200 TrumpBUX. Then probably gonna get ugly for a couple months.

I think we'll be back to normal by Christmas. People are going to replenish savings after this and it'll appear worse than it really is.

Someone got your memo here. What used to be bumper to bumper traffic for hours is now the Autobahn. I used to be lucky to hit 60 mph now getting passed going 80 in the slow lanes. At night you can actually be the only car in sight. It's unbelievable.

I sped past an unmarked car going 15 over in the HOV lane, and he ignored me LOL

It's getting crazy in Maryland. Most people are laid off/furloughed/let go or cut back on hours.

My company is finally implementing social distancing as a company policy and is guaranteeing us 32 hours pay minimum and only making us clock 24 hours a week.

It's not looking good though. Most of my friends and family were having weddings/vacations or buying homes a month ago.

Now and instead I'm using PTO to top up my checks. Should run out just in time for my 1200 TrumpBUX. Then probably gonna get ugly for a couple months.

I think we'll be back to normal by Christmas. People are going to replenish savings after this and it'll appear worse than it really is.

Larry Hogan just put Maryland in lockdown. With up to $5,000 and 1 year in prison. I heard Virginia is fine up to $2,500. I know DC is also in lockdown. Don't know the fine.

My wife (teleworking but in transition to a new company) and son is having a blast stuck at home. Almost everyday is xmas for them.

Edited by amusa

On the speeding issues, I do support for an international GPS/Telematics provider. In a conference call today, they shared this:

Big data anomaly due to COVID-19 and stay-at-home orders: There has been an uptick in high energy crashes among the commercial sector (not percentage, actual total number).

The data analysts didn't believe the numbers at first but it made more sense when they dug into the data.

Because there is little to no traffic on the roads, the people who are on the roads are speeding more, and thus when the accidents are happening, they're happening at greater speeds and are causing more severe vehicle damage and/or injury.

^^^ With ICU units stressed, I would guess a high energy crash with chest injuries is going to be a bigger risk than previous

A high energy crash with chest injuries - well, call in the coroner directly. There's no hope for anyone with those injuries to survive because when they come to the hospital they'll get corona.

453747.png

if 20% of 4000 cases are severe, you would need 800 ICU beds to handle the influx of patients when you have 450. Next is choosing who lives or dies, and that is the reality of what we are facing put bluntly.

Previous to this outbreak insurance companies did the dirty work of deciding who lives and dies.

Medicare patients over 80 years old already receive a reduced level of coverage compared to a 79 year old independent of other factors.

I think it's safe to say if you're over 80 in a major metropolitan area get your affairs in order.

Edited by Senseless1

Business is slow for my industry right now, but those of us still working are working as normal per agreements for mileage etc. The RR moves on, in fact since they’ve taken the opportunity to furlough without pay as many employees as possible (because the BNSF Railway is run by shit bags) those of us with more seniority are now more busy than before. Hooray!

We’ll see how long this persists.