LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

I've seen mixed reports about if people can be reinfected

I have seen the same, and then I have also seen reports that those were positives caused by incapacitated viruses that were present.

I wouldn't call it false positives.

But I would relate that to that the detection of the virus is using a different attribute of the virus than what the virus uses to penetrate the cell it infects. Probably much like you identify an electric plug by the housing but the pins are doing the work. Damage the pins and you'd still see that it's a plug, but it's castrated.

453747.png

This not being able to work thing coupled with my state's incompetence at administering unemployment programs is starting to get to me. Struggling to find motivation to do anything.

Could someone possibly share something uplifting that's covid related?

This not being able to work thing coupled with my state's incompetence at administering unemployment programs is starting to get to me. Struggling to find motivation to do anything.

Could someone possibly share something uplifting that's covid related?

From my visits to the local diy stores, house values are going up based on the unusual amount of projects being undertaken. Especially using higher materials. Cedar deck boards sold out at my local stores in 2 weeks, normally you can find them all summer. Everyone pays on credit, too. :)

Everyone pays on credit, too. :)

Out of long habit, I normally pay for a lot of routine things (like groceries) with cash, but I haven't touched a coin or paper bill since early March. Credit cards are just safer with respect to disease transmission, especially if they never leave your hand.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Out of long habit, I normally pay for a lot of routine things (like groceries) with cash, but I haven't touched a coin or paper bill since early March. Credit cards are just safer with respect to disease transmission, especially if they never leave your hand.

Huh - it was around March 12th that I recall thinking "oh great, as a society we've moved away from using filthy paper money and instead we have to use filthy touch screens for every transaction"

I am surprised by how many places are still requiring inputs on a screen or actual signatures

I am surprised by how many places are still requiring inputs on a screen or actual signatures

I've had similar thoughts, especially at my local pharmacy ... but since early March I haven't had to provide a signature for any in-person credit card purchase, including one for more than $500. Admittedly, that represents an average of less than one transaction per week.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I've had similar thoughts, especially at my local pharmacy ... but since early March I haven't had to provide a signature for any in-person credit card purchase, including one for more than $500. Admittedly, that represents an average of less than one transaction per week.

costco is no sig required even over $1000. Home depot is no sig required even at $600, however returns required a sig tho they extended their no questions asked to 180 days instead of 90. Lowe's has been sig over $100 and returns.

Best buy curbside pickup lets you buy at the door with sig required.

The relaxed enforcement of signature and return policies has changed my buying habits. I used to spend time sorting the pile at home depot for the best wood, now I fill the car and sort at home. Takes a couple trips to get what I need but I can color match with the existing boards much easier.

In not so wonderful news, found out a cousin of mine who works at one of the big hospitals in the area has the virus. Has been feeling good for a week then started to get high fevers, his wife continues to go out and work cuz "she feels fine". She is has been getting some talks within the family to get her head in the game as she is a carrier and needs to quarantine. SMH this "I feel fine" scenario is probably the biggest contributor to infections. People want to talk about how China is opening and they aren't seeing a burst of infections but easily ignore the lockdown the country did and want us to open up when the virus infections are still an issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Coworker has it. Company announced the positive test 2 weeks ago, guy was doing alright at first but was moved to ICU and put on a ventilator on Friday, so not looking great.

He's around 60 and pretty overweight.

That's not good, sorry to hear. The statistics on the ventilators is pretty dire. Please make sure you get your vitamin D. 98% of people who die from COVID are severely vitamin D deficient. Not trying to debate correlation and causation, but given it's so cheap and available...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBSfIckPV44]Dr. Rhonda Patrick Goes In Depth on the Benefits of Vitamin D - YouTube[/ame]

More info: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/vitamin-d-covid-19

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

• 2 weeks later...
Coworker has it. Company announced the positive test 2 weeks ago, guy was doing alright at first but was moved to ICU and put on a ventilator on Friday, so not looking great.

He's around 60 and pretty overweight.

Coworker passed away this week.

He had a few days of showing signs of improvement, then took a turn for the worse and passed a few days later.

He was actually 78...he looked good for his age which is why I was thinking 60ish.

I had only met him once briefly - I'm in sales and work out of my house and he was a service tech that worked outside of my sales area.

He had been with the company for decades and some of the other long term employees were very close with him, so the news hit them hard.

A tiny genetic mutation in the SARS coronavirus 2 variant circulating throughout Europe and the United States significantly increases the virus’ ability to infect cells, lab experiments performed at Scripps Research show.

“Viruses with this mutation were much more infectious than those without the mutation in the cell culture system we used,” says Scripps Research virologist Hyeryun Choe, PhD, senior author of the study.

The mutation had the effect of markedly increasing the number of functional spikes on the viral surface, she adds. Those spikes are what allow the virus to bind to and infect cells.

“The number—or density—of functional spikes on the virus is 4 or 5 times greater due to this mutation,” Choe says.

https://www.technologynetworks.com/tn/news/mutation-of-coronavirus-is-significantly-increasing-its-ability-to-infect-336067?utm_campaign=NEWSLETTER_TN_Immunology&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=89544780&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--DpljASoWiv8CGcZvMOXGz77X3I9dYJsk132Ypg9r-gPt-uhZJ-GPvVOTokwmTcebwjNp1OWrSkItWyK7PmOUSEjFFcg&utm_content=89544780&utm_source=hs_email

453747.png

That's not good, sorry to hear. The statistics on the ventilators is pretty dire. Please make sure you get your vitamin D. 98% of people who die from COVID are severely vitamin D deficient. Not trying to debate correlation and causation, but given it's so cheap and available...

More info: https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/vitamin-d-covid-19

42% according to this website.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Certain patients who receive hospital care for coronavirus infection (COVID-19) exhibit clinical and neurochemical signs of brain injury, a University of Gothenburg study shows. In even moderate COVID-19 cases, finding and measuring a blood-based biomarker for brain damage proved to be possible.

https://sahlgrenska.gu.se/english/research/news-events/news-article/?languageId=100001&contentId=1689236&disableRedirect=true&returnUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsahlgrenska.gu.se%2Fforskning%2Faktuellt%2Fnyhet%2F%2Ftydliga-tecken-pa-hjarnskada-vid-svar-covid-19.cid1689236

453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
Please make sure you get your vitamin D. 98% of people who die from COVID are severely vitamin D deficient. Not trying to debate correlation and causation, but given it's so cheap and available...

For more than you ever wanted to know about Vitamin D (D3, actually), its benefits, and why, see this peer-reviewed article from The New England Journal of Medicine (2007): http://www.mcinnisusa.com/public/Vitamin_D3_Holick_NEJM.pdf.

I'm a data guy, and some of the statistics cited in the article are quite remarkable. For example, how about: 60% reduction in rates of breast cancer among post-menopausal women receiving moderate daily supplements of Vitamin D3. Another: 80% reduction in risk of developing Type 1 Diabetes among children who received 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 during their first year of life. (Finland, n=10,366 ... a huge, 31 year study)

Edited by ammcinnis

spacer.png