LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

Coworker's son passed away on Tuesday. 37 years old, was in good health. Leaving behind his wife and kids.

Fever and body aches on Saturday. Turned away from a test and urgent treatment because he didn't have breathing issues.

Symptoms came in waves better and worse from Saturday through Monday. Woke up in intense pain and shortness of breath on Tuesday. Ambulance came to take him to hospital. Stopped breathing while being transported from 3rd floor bedroom to the ground floor.

Started chest compressions and intubated him there. Passed away about 45 minutes later at the hospital.

Awaiting autopsy report, so not confirmed covid, but signs are pointing that way.

crazy times - can't imagine what it's like in NYC - not too bad here, but with the media constantly blasting everyone, folks are pretty panicky here as well. Work has been deemed "essential" so I continue working, but I have very little interaction with people at work. Only 500 cases in NM thus far - we aren't supposed to peak until early May last I checked.

As of Yesterday 58 staff tested positive. Now it's required for all Staff, Contractors and construction workers to wear a mask when inside the Hospital. Such BS because I can't breath in those dam mask that they give to every one at all the entrance. I need to purchase another respirator mask like 3M or North as a backup (can't find them and Ebay is WAAAAAAY over price). I see if my Federal Agency (department) can order it. Edited by amusa

After weeks of masks not being required, now they are. Except you can't buy the replacement cartridges unless you're a hospital. Seems nutty to be ripping up sheets to make masks with the 3M masks sitting idle.

Assuming we live through this, replacement filters will go on the same "purchase a case in January list" that gloves and mechanics towels are on.

I believe the acknowledgement that the virus can be spread by folks who are pre-symptomatic is driving the current guidance - the cloth/reusable masks don't do a whole lot of filtering (when compared to an actual mask) but should help reduce a person who is contagious (but unaware) from getting others sick. I see lots of folks wearing makeshift masks around here.

Maybe I'll do a bandana over the face, or perhaps even better, just try not to leave the house except for drive thru runs to support local businesses, that and instacart.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

We were going out every few days for groceries. About a week ago, we gave up on fresh food and stocked up for a month. Washington's stay-at-home has been extended to May 4, so our timing was good.

Only one of our favorite restaurants is open. We pre-order, drive in for the pickup, then head home. They are a mom-pop place just finishing their first year, so no gov support. Doing what we can to keep them open.

I believe the acknowledgement that the virus can be spread by folks who are pre-symptomatic is driving the current guidance - the cloth/reusable masks don't do a whole lot of filtering (when compared to an actual mask) but should help reduce a person who is contagious (but unaware) from getting others sick. I see lots of folks wearing makeshift masks around here.

Does cleaning the 3m filters work? All of mine have been used with welding and carbon fiber, so getting them clean has been for naught.

Coworker's son passed away on Tuesday. 37 years old, was in good health. Leaving behind his wife and kids.

Fever and body aches on Saturday. Turned away from a test and urgent treatment because he didn't have breathing issues.

Symptoms came in waves better and worse from Saturday through Monday. Woke up in intense pain and shortness of breath on Tuesday. Ambulance came to take him to hospital. Stopped breathing while being transported from 3rd floor bedroom to the ground floor.

Started chest compressions and intubated him there. Passed away about 45 minutes later at the hospital.

Awaiting autopsy report, so not confirmed covid, but signs are pointing that way.

Sorry to hear. The very first symptom is lack of smell (lot of people ignore this)...Then comes the breathing, fever muscle ache & pain, etc.

Then there are others that will get mild symptoms but they lose the lack of smell.

After weeks of masks not being required, now they are. Except you can't buy the replacement cartridges unless you're a hospital. Seems nutty to be ripping up sheets to make masks with the 3M masks sitting idle.

Assuming we live through this, replacement filters will go on the same "purchase a case in January list" that gloves and mechanics towels are on.

That is fine since I work inside a Federal Hospital (NIH). I'm going to talk to my boss and see if we can order a few for our department. If not I go to the big top Doctors like Fauci, Collins, etc.

Edited by amusa

Does cleaning the 3m filters work? All of mine have been used with welding and carbon fiber, so getting them clean has been for naught.

Filters are difficult to clean, per se - for Coronavirus, you can always wait it out - 5-7 days is more than enough margin to ensure there is no viable virus on them. So if you had a set of 7 N95 masks, I would think you could cycle them 1 per day. (the NEJM study shows most surfaces are pretty clear after 80 hours (below the detection limit of the study) so 120-168 hours gives lots of margin on top of that.)

I would be reluctant to recommend heat without knowing how the filter media itself is going to respond.

I stopped by home depot wearing the last of my welding mask filters and picked up a set of allergen furnace filters. Flatten, cut to size , and sandwich inside cut-up bedsheets. Ordered 100yds of elastic band from ebay, so can make enough for 50+ family members.

The filters are rated for viruses bacteria and odors. Wrapped in high thread count cotton should keep the fibers in place.

With Boeing requiring shop workers back to work (union rolled over and played dead), keeping the family healthy is a big deal.

One of the half-baked rumors involves using a sou-viede(sp) unit to sterilize the masks, as 55c is enough to kill the virus.

If you can get your hands on the HEPA filters. Those are golden. We use them in our Isolation rooms (Negative pressure). Those ducts travels to a HEPA bank for more filtration.

The only way to clean the filters is to replace it with brand new ones.

EDIT: I'm now a happy camper just order (2) 3M 6200 and the filters. Out of all places had to order it from Cali. It's better then nothing because I been on the hunt for 2 weeks. Now that's is something off my plate and now I can focus on purchasing a Corsair Plat. XT RGB keyboard this week (looking for a 20% code or higher). I keep finding those 10% codes.

Edited by amusa

So all the news is wearing on me. The numbers are certainly bad - over 2M cases world wide, now - nearly 600k in the US alone... (doesn't sound as bad when you view it as percentages... for the world, you are talking 0.02% of the population, and for the US, 0.2% of the US population...) still a lot of people... were still two weeks from the projected peak here in NM, though for the US, it was forecast to have been Friday of last week... probably looking at late May before things really start opening up around here. I'm thankful I am not in NYC or LA...

You all be safe. I have to isolate myself in my own basement till the 22nd, just to be safe. Found out yesterday I was in contact with someone last Weds. That was tested positive on Friday. I have been on the phone all day yesterday with CDC, OMS, my federal agency, etc. Just to be safe CDC and OMS saying that I'm on the border line of high risk because I was with that person but all of us had PPE on and also using hand sanitizer allot.

The good news is I have till the 22nd staying home and getting paid but the sad part is I'm away from my son :(

Found out a friend of mine is recovering - a bit over two weeks at this point. She's diabetic, so was high risk - said it started as fatigue and a little coughing, mostly at night, then she started feeling it being harder to breathe (sort of like when you have allergies) which got progressively worse - said it was really frightening when it got to be it's worst - her diaphragm was hurting from breathing... she said she had a pulse oxygen monitor to keep track of oxygen saturation, and thankfully it let up before she needed to go to the hospital... their kids are asthmatic, and her husband (who I first heard it through) is diabetic as well... hopefully the care they took with isolating was enough!

it sounds like it is pretty horrible if you show strong symptoms. I am a little concerned with starting to let up on restrictions when things are close to the peak... if they actually thought about it, being close to the peak means the number of sick folks out there (knowingly and not-knowingly) is also at it's highest... this is how you get a second peak in cases...

Regarding a second peak, even with waiting until say June or July, there will likely still be a lot of infected people, and probably no vaccine yet. And with the rate of people who carry the virus but are asymptomatic, theres a lot of potential for it to continue to spread.

Second wave is almost guaranteed. The real question is how bad will it be. And hopefully it won't mutate into a more deadly strain (like the spanish flu did).

Need a lot lower numbers of currently infected people, plus greater testing capacity, plus procedures for wide scale contact tracing, in order to be able start going back to normal.

home depot was mostly maskless today. The costco on the next block was about 90% masks. Pizza place workers were zero masks. Philly Cheesesteak place is %100 masks. Seems hit or miss.

My dad has been living on a home built ventilator for 4 months just got a negative for covid. Super happy as he's in all the high risk groups.

I have one friend with MS and another that has diabetes.

The social life is pretty dead right now. At least there's no prohibition on going out in nature, and that's a mental relief. Coming out, seeing other people at a distance and also listen to the sounds of nature like birds and the wind in the trees.

There are a lot of recreation areas around here, so there aren't any problems at all coming out.

453747.png