LegacyGT.com

COVID-19 - who's got some?

DrD123

Just got authorized to return to work on Monday. Lucky I did not catch it (wearing PPE). I was in contact with some one that was tested positive at work. my coworker, he is in his 80s was tested negative he is coming back to work on Tuesday.

Being isolated away from my family is tough and my health almost took a worst from having a blood disorder and not being active. So my temperature that I had to monitor thru out the day's. It has dropped down to 96.2 few times. I'm now slowly doing some work around the house. To keep my temperature at 97-98 ish. Thank god I have allot of family members that are in the medical fields.

FB_IMG_1584060613972.jpg

I don't doubt that the fatality rate is higher than influenza, but the stats we have now from pretty much all countries are sort of jacked - testing is limited and skewed towards those really in trouble, whereas for influenza we have many, many years of data, fast and reliable testing, and a driving force for folks to get tested (meds that need to be on board in first 72 hours or so to make a difference) - one of the other scary things about covid is how contagious it is, and that folks are contagious for a while before showing symptoms.

How it can spread.

5ea01ef938bf2357b9756173.webp

A diagram shows how an air-conditioning unit at a restaurant in China helped infect nine diners with the coronavirus.

The diagram was included in a letter from several scientists in Guangzhou published this week in the Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal, based at the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC.)

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-restaurant-air-conditioning-gave-nine-people-covid-china-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

453747.png

I was talking to my supervisor about this and her best friend lives in New Orleans and is a bar manager. Her friend is a lymphoma survivor and is scared shitless about NO opening up since her immune system is shot, and she has to work if her bar opens as she can't collect unemployment anymore. Plus the thought of people ordering drinks from someone behind the bar with a face mask

I was talking to my supervisor about this and her best friend lives in New Orleans and is a bar manager. Her friend is a lymphoma survivor and is scared shitless about NO opening up since her immune system is shot, and she has to work if her bar opens as she can't collect unemployment anymore. Plus the thought of people ordering drinks from someone behind the bar with a face mask

Just revamp the bar to some theme so that all bartenders have Darth Vader masks or something.

453747.png

^^^ infection rates don't match the data above. Otherwise we'd all be sick at this point.

It's simplified, but if you talk to someone that's infected indoors at a normal (what used to be considered normal) distance, then it would make sense.

Coughing and talking generates most of the aerosol that spreads the virus.

We can at least try to limit the spread in order to get the R0 factor below 1. Herd immunity also works, but at a price of an overload on the health care system.

Some people claims that vitamin D lowers the risk of severe effect, but it's not proven. That could however explain why immigrants here are hit harder than natives - most immigrants comes from countries where people have a darker skin, which limits their vitamin D production. That would actually also mean that the 'stay at home' directive can make it worse.

453747.png

^^^ infection rates don't match the data above. Otherwise we'd all be sick at this point.
Lots of people get it, carry it, potentially spread it, but never get any symptoms.

Until/unless there is widespread antibody testing, won't really be any way to know how many people had it without knowing.

"Widespread antibody testing" assumes this is a good indicator of developing an immunity. So far, that has not been proven.

The Johns Hopkins site only lists infections/deaths, not recovery or negative results. At least, in the US, there's no widespread tracking of all results of testing. Where I live you can only get testing if you are showing generally accepted symptoms. So, any published numbers have to be highly suspect with regards actual numbers.

NY has the highest numbers because they run more tests than anyone else or because they have a higher infection rate?

Related...

attachment.php?attachmentid=284261&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1588101131

I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with this if it were possible to validate its original source. It appears to have been posted on reason.com on April 9, with attribution to ourworldindata.org, but I can find no reference to it on the ourworldindata.org web site.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

"Widespread antibody testing" assumes this is a good indicator of developing an immunity. So far, that has not been proven.

Fair point on immunity. Antibodies can show previous infection though. Whether or not than means immunity isn't known. I was more pointing out a way to know about who has had it already.

A lot of the antibody tests weren't FDA reviewed though, they just revised rules today

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/05/04/fda-enacts-stricter-rules-for-antibody-tests-after-congressional-investigation-233867

I've seen mixed reports about if people can be reinfected

I'd be a whole lot more comfortable with this if it were possible to validate its original source. It appears to have been posted on reason.com on April 9, with attribution to ourworldindata.org, but I can find no reference to it on the ourworldindata.org web site.

According to https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/new-york deaths-per-day peaked at just under 1000 in early April, and it was over 900 per day for a week, so 6300 for that week.

So apparently the 2700/week shown in the chart was from before things got really bad. And zero deaths until mid-March, so it really did ramp up quickly.

According to https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/as-nyc-nears-1000-covid-19-deaths-how-does-it-compare-to-typical-flu-seasons/2352180/ New York had 4749 deaths last year due influenza and pneumonia (not sure why they're conflated) which would average to a little over 91/week, which is roughly where the lower line is on that chart.

Seems close enough to me.