LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

So I'm reassembling some stuff while I wait for more hoses and bolts and stuff to come in. The oil pressure sensor is being weird though. Should it sit flush? It's pretty snug. I cleaned the threads real good and put new sealer on. I don't have a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for my torque wrench but I'm pretty certain I'm at or over the 25 nm.

3174592c06987ca39a262a232c7eff36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also any suggestions on what to do about this? On my old photos the flange on the oil return lines up with that bolt hole and the coolant return bolts there. It doesn't look like it's possible to rotate...

232e3113fae08ca3d4430324bc4ee906.jpg

Also any suggestions on what to do about this? On my old photos the flange on the oil return lines up with that bolt hole and the coolant return bolts there. It doesn't look like it's possible to rotate...

232e3113fae08ca3d4430324bc4ee906.jpg

It does rotate. I think I remember the shop that did my heads telling me they don’t remove them just swing them off to the side when necessary.

So I'm reassembling some stuff while I wait for more hoses and bolts and stuff to come in. The oil pressure sensor is being weird though. Should it sit flush? It's pretty snug. I cleaned the threads real good and put new sealer on. I don't have a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for my torque wrench but I'm pretty certain I'm at or over the 25 nm.

3174592c06987ca39a262a232c7eff36.jpg

Yeah that looks right. It’s a tapered pipe thread.(1/8 bpt iirc) Easy enough to get to if it leaks.

OK I thought it was welded on. Guess it's just a push it really hard thing?

On the oil sensor, it's hard to see but there is still like 2 or 3 threads showing which was my concern, but if it's tapered that makes more sense.

I also just realized the bolts that came with my new flywheel are not the same torx plus bolts. They are a regular wrench head bolt. Is it ok to use those or do I have to use the torx bolts? Anyone know, I'm putting a list together of final small bits I need. More gaskets and hoses and such.

OK I thought it was welded on. Guess it's just a push it really hard thing?

On the oil sensor, it's hard to see but there is still like 2 or 3 threads showing which was my concern, but if it's tapered that makes more sense.

Use an extension that fits in the drain pipe to turn it.
I also just realized the bolts that came with my new flywheel are not the same torx plus bolts. They are a regular wrench head bolt. Is it ok to use those or do I have to use the torx bolts? Anyone know, I'm putting a list together of final small bits I need. More gaskets and hoses and such.
If you're using a single mass flywheel then hex head bolts are good. If you're using a dual mass flywheel than torx plus is your bolt.

Ok perfect. Good tip, I may have just like gone for it and that would have been dumb and a lot of effort.

Yea single mass flywheel, which is what the car has in the first place. I'd rather not use the torx bolts if I could avoid it.

I just realized that the oil return pipe is on the head and not the block so it obviously can be turned. I just worried because I know some people have experienced leaks from that pipe. I just don't know if the leaks are from the joint or the brazing and didn't want to weaken anything.

Well my concern is less about the oil pipe, looking at yours, it looks like the orientation is fine, almost right in line with the head gasket, I'll have to give it another look. But the flange where you have that bolt going through isn't lined up on mine. So either that flange isn't in the right orientation or the whole pipe is off. Most likely the pipe is rotated off some since that flange is brazed on the pipe.

When the heads are being machined they have to rotate the pipe to mill the head. The pipes are pressfit with a special glue from the factory. I was able to get mine all the way out with a lot of twisting and hard work. Then I used black rtv and pressed it back in at the correct orientation so far I've had no leaks.

Hmm interesting. That makes me think twisting it might break the seal. I think I'm going to try to leave it as is. That flange doesn't really do much and I can still access the bolt hole. I'll try remounting everything and if the turbo goes on without issue then great. If not I'll deal with it then.

Had a little time this afternoon but not much. Thought it'd be enough to do the mudflaps. It wasn't of course. I had to cut off the bolts on the one side I worked on. And idk how on earth there is this much dirt. I ended up dropping the side skirts and knocking a bunch out of the upper part of the fender flare.

ed660572baa1d56c7dae20538d433633.jpg

So I've spent forever trying to figure this out. There are three hoses here. One to each valve cover and one to the block itself. Are these coolant or vacuum or what? They are rock solid.

7154b06f035dcaab9e2c1dada7e89543.jpg

My best guess so far is 99071AC220 and 99071AC230 and I can't find the third. Assuming they are vacuum but they don't appear to be dry inside.

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2008_Outback-25L-TURBO-5MT-XT-Limited/_54102_6030705/WATER-PIPE-1-WATER-PIPE/B13-036-03.html

vacuum and coolant I believe! I am not sure, but from my memory , two of the lines on that main black pipe with the swirly hose that goes on top of the block go to the pcv system on the valve covers and two are for coolant. The tube with the center swirly hose in block is air. The tube that goes towards the water pump are coolant lines, so bottom is coolant and top is air. The valve covers have two on each side, that black pipe covers two of them, the other two need hoses that connect to the air pipe that connects to the turbo inlet hose.

Yep it's the same. Lower is coolant but I thought maybe upper was an oil return. If it's part of the pcv system though maybe that's why it looked oily. I don't have super great pictures of all that and it's all just running everywhere.

So what's the point of all that? There are 4 hoses pulling vacuum on the heads and at least two of those are connected to the block. Honestly I need to figure out where the pcv when goes. I don't remember pulling it off....

the pcv is the one above the black pipe, that has the elbow towards the turbo side and towels ,the white clip. It also has the smaller hose that goes into the intake manifold. and underneath, which you can't see, sits on top of that connection you see in the 1st picture i linked under that coolant line. Edited by Tehnation

Hmm interesting. That makes me think twisting it might break the seal. I think I'm going to try to leave it as is. That flange doesn't really do much and I can still access the bolt hole. I'll try remounting everything and if the turbo goes on without issue then great. If not I'll deal with it then.

Make sure you mount the turbo to the up pipe while the engine is out. hook everything up and make sure the tmic lines up. much easier to do that with the engine out of the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well I have a new issue. My clutch pressure plate doesn't seem to want to line up? Or I don't understand how it works maybe. I got the excedy fjk1001 clutch kit and the excedy FWSBL02FF flywheel, both of which show as working for this car. If I understand, the pressure plate should bolt to the flywheel right?

e851d96bf830b0e530056f3509c122ee.jpg