LegacyGT.com

Noname 08 OBXT Rebuild Thread

The problem with the vehicle not being at my house is I can't always work as late as I'd like. Need to put on the down pipe, radiator hoses, intercooler of course, and give everything a final double check. Fill coolant and then I'll fill up the oil stuff and start it up. I think I've nearly got everything.

a9e3405086e204c3d17909a81e80991a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, come on, I've been outside most of the past three day's. Its been in the 50's and sunny, light winds. Has been 24F overnight.

Oh yea, you live where it should be snowing soon... ;)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Haha yea the two hour time difference. It was 730 when I posted that and 27 outside. I had to use a heat gun to soften the radiator hoses to get them on. I stupidly left them in the car. We've actually had snow twice already. Last week when the engine went in, it was snowing on me the whole time. No accumulation in the valley though.

Well. It's all back together. And smoking like a stoned college kid.

I don't really know what the engine is supposed to sound like but I think it sounds right. I built up oil pressure, got it all set up. Turned it over and it seemed OK. Started to smell what seemed like exhaust. I think BOTH manifolds are leaking BADLY. Oem gaskets and copper gasket spray but I think I took them on and off a few times.... But blowing clouds of smoke so turned it off after maybe five minutes of running.

I have some grimmspeed gaskets but I'm pretty bummed. I'm wondering if I can pull off the heat shields and unbolt each manifold individually and slide in a new gasket instead of pulling turbo dp up headers. My bolts from the up to manifold are frozen so I can't easily undo those.

That said I still did a bunch today. Made grounding cables but the ring terminals were too small. I put back the one good stock one and will try again later.

Mounted the hella horns and made a bracket for them. Pretty happy how that turned out.

Also put my kartboy license plate delete on to cover those holes in my bumper. Unfortunately the spacing wasn't the same. But I like how it looks so I made my own dang holes.

3b2c988171925c2371b000d35f6c19cb.jpg742c2265e8eb77640503ea9efe9f5dd9.jpg

Some smoke is normal as the parts warm up and burn off the grease, lube, whatever. May take 15- 20 minutes for that to burn off and then again after you begin to drive the car.

It should sound like the car did before.

Check for oil and coolant leaks, if non, start it back up let it run, try to hold the rpm at about 1500 for a few minutes. Let it come back to idle for a few minutes then change the oil and filter.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you don't need to touch the dp or turbo to remove exhaust manifold. If its oem, there should be bolts in the middle somewhere, the exhaust manifold is two separate pieces. unbolt the uppipe, then unbolt the middle of the exhaust. I think you have to remove the heat shield to get to the bolts,. Edited by Tehnation

you don't need to touch the dp or turbo to remove exhaust manifold. If its oem, there should be bolts in the middle somewhere, the exhaust manifold is two separate pieces. unbolt the uppipe, then unbolt the middle of the exhaust. I think you have to remove the heat shield to get to the bolts,.

Yea but all those bolts are frozen. I'm hoping to leave them all until down the road when I can get new stuff. I was thinking I could support it on the center pipe with the jack and only lower it a little.

Yea it's all oe, just rusted to hell.

Some smoke is normal as the parts warm up and burn off the grease, lube, whatever. May take 15- 20 minutes for that to burn off and then again after you begin to drive the car.

It should sound like the car did before.

Check for oil and coolant leaks, if non, start it back up let it run, try to hold the rpm at about 1500 for a few minutes. Let it come back to idle for a few minutes then change the oil and filter.

Well that's the hardest part is I don't really know what it sounded like before. It didn't really sound like an exhaust leak to me but holy crap was there a lot of smoke. All clearly coming from the bottom of the heads and exhaust manifold. I think I'm gonna pull the heat shields at least and check that I torqued them down properly.

No leaks though. It ran for three or four minutes before we cut it off.

Yea but all those bolts are frozen. I'm hoping to leave them all until down the road when I can get new stuff. I was thinking I could support it on the center pipe with the jack and only lower it a little.

Yea it's all oe, just rusted to hell.

Got air tools? Got a torch? A high torque impact gun, like 750+ ftlbs, and torches kick the shit out of rusted bolts! Just spray it down with some pb blaster or liquid wrench then hit it with the gun, if that doesnt work heat them up then hit it again... they will come loose or break, either way you win!

Does the car sound louder? Does your uppipe have an egr? Is your o2 sensor installed? Did you stick your head under there while it was smoking to visually confirm where its leaking from, don't be scared :p:)

If you have ramps, start the car and take a look!

No air tools. Hand tools and a battery dremel lol. I do have a torch, but breaking all that apart is 3 more gaskets to worry about also. If I can just slip in new ones without that, less failure points.

I've got the o2 in there, never came out. No guages of any kind yet. Yea I put my head right up under there and could see it swirling out of the driver side manifold before rising. Checked the passenger side and it looked the same.

The problem with "does this seem smell sound normal" is that I had the car for 24 hours and was driving it on the highway. That was in June. So I've never stood in front of a subaru with the hood open looking and listening. I would have said it sounded kinda loud and rumbly but that was likely just the big (to me) engine and the boxer noise. But then it started blowing vape clouds at me like my mom bought the damn car.

Funny enough she DID buy it.

I also can't got look at it until like 10. Took the day off but complications of it not being at my house and people's sleeping schedules.

I'm going to pull the heat shields and check the torque first. If that's good, maybe it's just stuff burning up like max says. It doesn't SMELL wrong. Although I can't smell well either haha. It just smells like exhaust. So I'll let it smoke and keep an eye on it. Do an oil change and then see if it still smokes. If so, new gaskets on the manifolds and see what that does.

The heat shields come off easy. I've already broken free the rust. I got some videos, some of the smoke is from spilled coolant but I've got new problems.

I have code p0335 crank position sensor. Idk if that's because I pulled it to prime the oil today or not. It starts fine ish, there is a short squeal on start up. Could be a belt too tight.

My a/c inside the car also started flickering at me, however I ended up with a coolant leak right behind the a/c compressor. One of the only hoses I didn't replace. Pretty mad about that cuz that means manifold has to come off.

I think it ran for about 7 minutes and the smoke never cleared. There's some coming from the dp and turbo junction area as well.

Yea I've got btssm. Not that I have any idea of what to log and what I'm looking at.

On the way to the dealer right now to buy that hose. I'm not sure I could get to it with the manifold on and the ac compressor off or if the manifold will be easier

Yea I replaced every coolant hose but that one and the heater core hoses. Because I forgot to buy them. I got to that part and was like eh it'll be fine.

No oil leaks that I can see. Think I'll just pull the intake manifold so I can look at the fuel lines as well