LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Yea I'd looked them up real quick and used their us retail for the triple number. I thought the oe subaru ones were supposed to be superior to Fram. I must have gotten that confused somewhere. I'll have to look up some disassembly videos. I don't mind spending more on a better set up. I just could swear I kept reading the oe filters were the best to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last I heard, the OE blue oil filters (which have had various sources over the years OEM'ing them for Subaru) had a lower bypass psi than our cars were originally designed for.

The OE filter you want is the Tokyo Roki manufactured version you can buy at Mazda dealers, for an RX-8, part no. N3R1-14-302. They're about $7.

Last I heard, the OE blue oil filters (which have had various sources over the years OEM'ing them for Subaru) had a lower bypass psi than our cars were originally designed for.

The OE filter you want is the Tokyo Roki manufactured version you can buy at Mazda dealers, for an RX-8, part no. N3R1-14-302. They're about $7.

Supposedly the blue filters have a bypass of 23psi. Which from everything I've read is extremely high compared to most vehicles. I can't find specs on the Mazda ones.

Don't want to turn this into an oil thread though cuz I don't think this is the place for that debate. Also I'm a little fried trying to read all the oil info. Again. I think for the 4th or 5th time.

Wait you're supposed to use an oil filter?

Yes...if you don't want to change that, you could just wipe down the outside so it looks new...you would be saving money doing that too, as well as cutting down in metal waste.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yes...if you don't want to change that, you could just wipe down the outside so it looks new...you would be saving money doing that too, as well as cutting down in metal waste.

Damn, where were you 12 years ago? So much time and money wasted changing those filters. :lol:

On serious note, I am still on Toyo-Roki filters, albeit my stash is dwindling and I will have to look into getting myself some Mazda filters. Never tried Amsoil though, is it worth the price?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Damn, where were you 12 years ago? So much time and money wasted changing those filters. :lol:

On serious note, I am still on Toyo-Roki filters, albeit my stash is dwindling and I will have to look into getting myself some Mazda filters. Never tried Amsoil though, is it worth the price?

It seems that most things from amsoil are well liked. There's something with size and filter media psid blah blah blah and the only specs published on the amsoil I found show their psi bypass at 11-17 not the Subaru 23ish.

But they probably are honestly better. It's hard to find proper info on comparisons. I've spent most of the day looking.

I'd say yes to Amsoil being worth the price. Join as a preferred member, the prices drop.

There may even be someone on this Forum that happens to be a Dealer...that may be through PM's could get you what you need... ?

Remember to have Blackstone Labs do a oil sample before you go for long OCI. When I sent in the sample at 7000 miles they told me to leave the oil in till 9000 miles and send in another sample. I have always changed at 7000-8000 miles. That's good enough for me.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

There are a number of YouTube videos where filters are cut open and the differences in construction are obvious. On the Miata, I use NAPA / Wix Gold which has an unusual bypass valve structure - it is located under the filter element right next to the gasket surface end. The advantage? When the bypass opens, it does not wash dirt off the outside of the filter element as it would with the bypass at the other end of the filter. Some filter differences are subtle, some are blatant.

We have an oil thread but not a filter thread, so if there is continued interest, maybe someone should start one.

I get people wanting to use youtube "cut open" videos for assessment of filters, but your eyes can't see filtration down to the micron level. One that might look "light" might just be more efficiently packed. Or the "better" one being over packed. Edited by snow05gtRI

Well I might be able to do micron filtration levels at work in some way. I do material testing for a chemical lab. We have all sorts of equipment and regularly work on the sub 5 micron scale.

I'm sure we'd all appreciate any testing you can do!

I'm sure we'd all appreciate any testing you can do!

Well I have the tools haha not the knowledge. I can take really detailed pictures, I wouldn't really know what to test. I guess uhhh flow rates and filtering capabilities? One of the engineers has a wrx. Maybe I'll go harass him. He might have ideas and know what to do. I'll start up a separate thread for ideas.

i did filter life testing when i first started my job. but it all depends on what you think is important. do you want EVERYTHING filtered out? are you ok with changing the filter every month? can it be giant, so you don't have to change it every month? What's your price point? do you really care about 5 micron particles?

We (where i work) don't care about sub-7 micron particles, and we deal with some VERY precise and small fluid paths (and a TON of them), so i'd venture to guess that a Subaru engine doesn't care either...

the main issue with anything is you can't design/make it to please everyone.

the filters are made to Subaru spec, and for a good cost. Subaru gets exactly what they ask for.

The Brotella Brothers think their STI needs to run on pure, cold-filtered cheetah blood. they don't like OEM filters.

There are filters that are "worse" than the OEM filters, and there are probably some that are better. does that "better" make a difference? is it worth the cost?

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Sold my baby today, definitely mixed feelings about that. New owner is a Subaru Ambassador and crazy about Subies. Kept saying this was his dream car/build. I’m sure he will take good care of her. :icon_cry::):spin:

Thanks everyone here for all your support over the years. This community is really something special. :wub:

Sounds like a suitable new owner. Thanks for your varied contributions here. Related - I recently had a seemingly sudden vacuum issue on the spec b. Wasn't it the lines under the IC? You bet! Reached into my messy tool box and grabbed one of my "Turkey Ts"!!! Was too lazy to have installed before... Thanks, TL!