LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Worth mentioning - I went to AutoZone the other day and they had Pennz Plat synthetic and a variation of Shell full synthetic (red bottle, not Rotella T6) both 5qt jugs on clearance for $20, and then there's a rebate on the Shell for $10.. So I ended up with 10 qts of full synthetic for $30.

Post some pics!

Unfortunately my buddies old Merc had its parking brake cable snap while he was warming it up. He went inside to grab something and it broke free rolling into his Tacoma smashing the headlights and bumpers on both :mad:. So no CNC for us.

48970580112_7921f8ce15_z.jpg

Still went cruising in the wagon. Loving the boost weather. It was glorious as usual.

48968527403_bc96fb042e_z.jpg

48969068896_761ef6b64c_z.jpg

Do the motor mounts as well! Totally worth it.

Loving all the boost weather here in Washington. Really been enjoying the heck out of it. Taking the wagon to the local Cars and Coffee tomorrow with my buddies in their 1963 Mercury Comet wagon and 2018 CTS V. Should be fun. Never been to one before.

Post some pics!

see post #6 here,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-motor-mounts-while-installing-new-clutch-229591.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2k away from the 200k club! As always, topped off the oil and surprisingly the power steering. There some dampness on top of the pump. I assume that's the O-ring I hear everyone talks about on here.. other than that, gave it a bath, degreased and cleaned the interior, cleaned the wheels and made it to a local meet..97ea2b54cc2beea2e7d6e056fcda348b.jpg

Scotty

Worth mentioning - I went to AutoZone the other day and they had Pennz Plat synthetic and a variation of Shell full synthetic (red bottle, not Rotella T6) both 5qt jugs on clearance for $20, and then there's a rebate on the Shell for $10.. So I ended up with 10 qts of full synthetic for $30.

I really like the Pennzoil Euro Platinum (0W40). But I can't find it anywhere except Walmart and usually have to get it online.

Used the remote starter this morning to come out and hear that God awful sound of an exhaust leak. It sounds like it's from the down pipe to mid pipe. Will have to investigate things and order parts accordingly.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

After what seems like an eternity, finally got the engine back into my outback.

e1c68dc8c48b71360718c584b584dbeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! That's a good feeling indeed. Perfect time to polish those headlights and put some Lamin-X on them too ;)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Congrats! That's a good feeling indeed. Perfect time to polish those headlights and put some Lamin-X on them too ;)

I'm actually practicing polishing on an old civic. First one I did was certainly an improvement but took out some over deep gouges. Gonna get it down there and then do the outback later along with an hid retrofit.

Just left AutoZone and they have Valvoline full synthetic on clearance at 5qts for $15...

I have no brand loyalty for oil. I'll throw in literally any full synthetic - 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, etc.. Lots of people think I'm crazy, but it's worked for 192k miles on my wagon and all original parts. Just change it when necessary and topping off regularly.

Just left AutoZone and they have Valvoline full synthetic on clearance at 5qts for $15...

Stopped by my local Autozone hoping to get on with the deal but prices are all regular and guy said the promo was a week ago. Duh.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I'd check at other locations, mine definitely still has it and the shelves were full. I might go back for more today.

Went back for two more Valvoline synthetic 10w30 5qt jugs, and the shelves were getting low, but they had $15 rebate tags on them. I'm sending those in for sure, hoping to get 10qts for $1.80 :lol:

Edited by BoozeRS05
Update

First Blackstone UOA came back for my specB, and all wear metals are in great shape! Nice looking sample with 7k miles on the new motor and JmP turbo.

Just loaded my newest map from CryoTune the other day also. Boost looks and feels awesome peaking around 14.5lbs

I think this was actually using Castrol Edge 5w30 full synthetic:

69895562_BlackstoneUOA-08specB-1stsampleat7k.thumb.png.97fb9df0a4fd2ba7396eb933042cb257.png

Edited by BoozeRS05

Ordered a complete 09 LGT fuel system from SubieRecycler.com, to finally put my fuel resonance issue to bed. 2500 miles on the new block, and still running around on wastegate - but the end is in sight!

Do you have a build thread? Why so long on break in? I didn't get any recommendation from the machine shop I used (stock rebuild stock tune is likely why) and was just going to follow the process cobb has listed based on looking at a bunch.

Thanks, somehow I'd missed that one. Certainly more extensive but main differences are suggested oil, when to finish break in period, and unplug crank position sensor. Cobb says remove spark plugs but that sounds silly. I'd read of pulling the fuel pump fuse which had been my plan. I guess I don't really know what the crank position sensor really does.

The idea of pulling the spark plugs is so you don't build compression that will push the rod bearings into the crankshaft.

I just started mine like I do every day. I had the key in the On position a few times before starting, so the fuel system was primed. I made sure I had pre-oiled the turbo. When it came time, I started it like I always do, key to On, let the gauges sweep, go to Start, it started like it dose everyday, 3 spins, then idle.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

My build thread is really just a parts list and a splatter of pictures, but it's there.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/build-thread-time-280134.html

For reference, wastegate is a hilarious 13.5 psi on this 16G. Cryo says it's fine and no need to adjust it down, so I was just responsible during break-in.

I broke in for 1k per Subaru recommendations, but have spent a while chasing down rattles that were driving crazy FBKC, and generally dragging butt with making sure everything was ready to go for the tune because I work full time and go to school. My favorite false knock source was the trans dipstick progressively rotating in the tube until it contacted the underside of the intercooler. Was registering 10 degree FBKC pulls from that one, scared the bejeezus out of me before I figured it out.

I pulled the plugs when priming for the reason Max stated. Word to the wise - don't prefill the oil filter when priming. Doing so with an empty oil pump will create too much backpressure and the pump won't be able to move enough air to draw in oil from the pan, and you'll never get it primed. And, with the filter empty, it still took about 30-45s of cranking before I registered pressure on the gauge during prime. It probably comes up faster if you just start the motor, but you WILL start dry for some period of time if you didn't prime. Given how many miles Max already has on his motor, maybe that time is negligible.

Edited by awfulwaffle

I have to agree with not wanting to spin the crankshaft for that long. Seems to be the Factory gets in, turns the Key to On, and starts the engine for the very first time. Oil pressure is there with in a couple of seconds.

When the trusted mechanic replaced the timing belt, when I picked the car up, he mentioned how quiet the engine was for a Subaru.

He also has Subaru's for his own car.