LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Anyone ever installed the self-tensioning A/C belt with a fluidampr pulley? I’ve had a grimmspeed LWCP for a while, and might make the switch to smooth things out a bit.
I actually just replace the bearing in the tensioner pulley since I have a metal pulley. It's a standard 6203 bearing and easy to press out/in.

Hiya Rick! Argh, it pains me but it stays most of its time parked at my parents' place in RI. It gets some drives but not as much as it needs. I have concerns about it aging poorly while sitting most of the time. Still pulls like a champ, though.

When I eventually own a place where I can park multiple cars, I'll bring it back in and start to use it as a little project car just to play around with for my own learning / tinkering.

I drive a 2015 Audi allroad as my daily now. Loving it... beautiful wagon with some wheels and lowered and the 2.0T has some power. It was supposed to be all show no go, but my local buddy dropped a V8 from an RS5 into his same generation allroad and sold me his K04 turbo upgrade with the intercooler and high flow cat, so here I am now around 330whp on pump :lol: ... but, they're stout motors and are supposed to be pretty reliable even with this moderate power increase.

I'm hoping you're still driving that gorgeous red beast!

These cars appear to do fine sitting for a few weeks. I think the longest my Spec has gone is may be 4 weeks during Winter without being driven. I will say when it was started it was driven for at least 10 miles, one way, on the highway.

I'm also of the mind set, to not leave much gas in the tank. IMO its easier to run the old gas out and refill with fresh gas, instead of buying gas this time of year, fill the tank, then only drive it 30 miles may be once or twice a month. Then having 4 or 5 month old gas. My way the gas is always more on the fresh side by only keeping 4 or 5 gallons in the tank.

I've only been doing that for about 9 years now...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I had the local shop install two front axles (rebooted OEMs), drain and fill the trans fluid (2 out of 3 drains now done), replace the trans filter, and balance the wheels and tires.

Turns out one wheel is slightly bent (OEM 5 spokes) but they were still able to balance it. Good thing I made a deal on another set of Forester Cross Sports BBS wheels. Hopefully will have them in hand this week.

Hiya Rick! Argh, it pains me but it stays most of its time parked at my parents' place in RI. It gets some drives but not as much as it needs. I have concerns about it aging poorly while sitting most of the time. Still pulls like a champ, though.

When I eventually own a place where I can park multiple cars, I'll bring it back in and start to use it as a little project car just to play around with for my own learning / tinkering.

I drive a 2015 Audi allroad as my daily now. Loving it... beautiful wagon with some wheels and lowered and the 2.0T has some power. It was supposed to be all show no go, but my local buddy dropped a V8 from an RS5 into his same generation allroad and sold me his K04 turbo upgrade with the intercooler and high flow cat, so here I am now around 330whp on pump :lol: ... but, they're stout motors and are supposed to be pretty reliable even with this moderate power increase.

I'm hoping you're still driving that gorgeous red beast!

I’m just getting back around to it after a couple years, so I totally know what you mean about them sitting and aging. The Audi sounds fun as hell though! I got a new Accord 2.0T sport last year as a daily, when it looked like I’d be going back to working for someone else, but then Covid happened. I started driving the Legacy again recently after coming to terms with the thought of selling it, and fell in love all over again. :lol: It’s been fun tinkering on it and finishing some projects I had been meaning to get around to for years.

trying to pull the engine from an 5eat sedan. Couldnt find the right socket/extension/ratchet combination so pulled both front axles along with the control arms. Seems like the long way around, but turned to be a good idea. Every bushing was torn, both ball joints were bad and the swaybar end links were damaged. Driver side lca and axle are damaged too.

The dp has a big dent in the side to clear the transmission. From the amount of tension on it, I suspect the dent has a hole in it, too.

I’m just getting back around to it after a couple years, so I totally know what you mean about them sitting and aging. The Audi sounds fun as hell though! I got a new Accord 2.0T sport last year as a daily, when it looked like I’d be going back to working for someone else, but then Covid happened. I started driving the Legacy again recently after coming to terms with the thought of selling it, and fell in love all over again. :lol: It’s been fun tinkering on it and finishing some projects I had been meaning to get around to for years.

Glad to hear it's still around! Yeah, that's my feeling whenever I see the LGT again, too. Can't escape the history!

Fought the upper diff mount nuts which stripped immediately. Found a new use for my duplicate SAE box wrenches - sacrifice to the Subaru gods. Bushing lockdown inserts for now, replace when I drop the subframe next. Also got forward diff cradle replaced with a shiny blue Cusco for the cool points.

Sounds normal again!

IMG_20201112_191047.thumb.jpg.f73960f6a5b987253732dd2d0f2dfa5b.jpg

Oh, that's not the wrench that stripped, it's a 5/8 box wrench that I have 6 of for some reason. I have some thinny 6 point sockets for a thru ratchet, and the nuts still stripped with that.

But yeah, nuts replaced for sure. Definitely feel the difference, much more direct when getting on power, feels better than it did before the bushings ripped loose.

Removed my oem exhaust and put into place my Greddy SP2. Unfortunately I had the wrong Grimspeed gasket ( 2-2.5") bolt holes aren't wide enough and I had the wrong bolt diameter (to thick). Does anyone know what gasket I need to fit the midpipe to stock DP ? Thanks Edited by JJr

Finished boogering together the twinscroll downpipe for the wife-wagon, out of a GD WRX pipe I picked up fer cheap. Second time welding stainless, probably tenth time welding overall, things get harder when you gotta follow curves.

Got it mounted up and.......leaks at the turbo flange even though I did my best to knock it flat after it warped welding the bellmouth on, on a belt sander. Womp womp, guess I'll try again, but more gooder. Any advice much appreciated.

IMG_20201115_184324.thumb.jpg.2accc575c2bb8b78aee7c89737b463f7.jpg

IMG_20201115_163525.thumb.jpg.74ac12a3c41182c9531f4b30a9185fdf.jpg

Edited by awfulwaffle

Finished boogering together the twinscroll downpipe for the wife-wagon, out of a GD WRX pipe I picked up fer cheap. Second time welding stainless, probably tenth time welding overall, things get harder when you gotta follow curves.

Got it mounted up and.......leaks at the turbo flange even though I did my best to knock it flat after it warped welding the bellmouth on, on a belt sander. Womp womp, guess I'll try again, but more gooder. Any advice much appreciated.

Thank God you have a lift, working on the exhaust on ramps and stands is a PITA! I applaud your work!!

I did get some time on Sunday to stretch the legs on the wagon a bit. I didn't make it very far until I saw smoke coming up from the hood scoop at a stop light though. I saw a bunch of oil dripping off the DP and feared that I was leaking oil from the turbo but it appears that my axle boot decided it was a good time to dump a bunch of grease on the DP.

A new OEM axle is about $300 or I can get the boots from Rock Auto for $20. I suppose I should just get the boots and try to rebuild it.

Anyone have any experience with the Beck/Arnley boots from Rock Auto?

WYE_Island.thumb.JPG.b9dee60686e855515d7adda8cdbad40d.JPG

Edited by Holla

I did get some time on Sunday to stretch the legs on the wagon a bit. I didn't make it very far until I saw smoke coming up from the hood scoop at a stop light though. I saw a bunch of oil dripping off the DP and feared that I was leaking oil from the turbo but it appears that my axle boot decided it was a good time to dump a bunch of grease on the DP.

A new OEM axle is about $300 or I can get the boots from Rock Auto for $20. I suppose I should just get the boots and try to rebuild it.

Anyone have any experience with the Beck/Arnley boots from Rock Auto?

Buy the OEM boot rebuilt kit. Better quality rubber IMO. I just bought three from subaruparts.com :spin:.

Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total

28397AG000 Boot Kit $29.26 3 $87.78

Edited by xt2005bonbon