LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Subi started overheating whilst at work, but I managed to catch it before it went too close the red (I'd say from 50%/operating to maybe 65% max) -- set the heater to full blast and sped up, since it was cold enough out I managed to bring her temps down and get her to the lot. Switched to company car, let her cool down and filled/burped the radiator so that I could make the trek home after work (Roughly 25 miles).

That small leak? Yeaahhh, I don't think it's so small. I had previously wiped it all down so I could try to track everything down, this was taken this morning (I couldn't honestly see much, as I get off at 2AM). Looks like a new radiator is a certainty. Reservoir is also full, so there's likely a broken hose along the line outside of a crack in the radiator itself/vaccum failure. I'll have to do some poking around to see if any coolant lines run anywhere that can lead to such a pattern, outside of the big one, just in case I'm jumping the gun on the radiator.

Whilst I was below Subi I also noticed a little bit of red, so I suspect that's where the transmission fluid passes through for cooling -- that hose needs replacing, as does the one below it.

Attached an image of the..splash. Not sure why the image is upside down, but eh. And yes, I shoved an old carpet under Subi for spill-catching when I've not got a pan under her -- given that her leaks are very erratic it helps for "what is this liquid on the ground" because the green shows up really, really well on a lightly colored fabric. 😛

But as for what I'm doing today, outside of rad-hunting & hose checking, are my rear brakes, caliper rebuilds and wheel bearing swap. And another wipe-down, after eyeballing it a bit more at a few different angles -- since I'll have her fully up for the brake bleed. Then I'll take her to get an alignment done, if I can, prior to work.

IMG_20231221_122555878_HDR.jpg

3 hours ago, Flaris said:

Subi started overheating whilst at work, but I managed to catch it before it went too close the red (I'd say from 50%/operating to maybe 65% max) -- set the heater to full blast and sped up, since it was cold enough out I managed to bring her temps down and get her to the lot. Switched to company car, let her cool down and filled/burped the radiator so that I could make the trek home after work (Roughly 25 miles).

That small leak? Yeaahhh, I don't think it's so small. I had previously wiped it all down so I could try to track everything down, this was taken this morning (I couldn't honestly see much, as I get off at 2AM). Looks like a new radiator is a certainty. Reservoir is also full, so there's likely a broken hose along the line outside of a crack in the radiator itself/vaccum failure. I'll have to do some poking around to see if any coolant lines run anywhere that can lead to such a pattern, outside of the big one, just in case I'm jumping the gun on the radiator.

Whilst I was below Subi I also noticed a little bit of red, so I suspect that's where the transmission fluid passes through for cooling -- that hose needs replacing, as does the one below it.

Attached an image of the..splash. Not sure why the image is upside down, but eh. And yes, I shoved an old carpet under Subi for spill-catching when I've not got a pan under her -- given that her leaks are very erratic it helps for "what is this liquid on the ground" because the green shows up really, really well on a lightly colored fabric. 😛

But as for what I'm doing today, outside of rad-hunting & hose checking, are my rear brakes, caliper rebuilds and wheel bearing swap. And another wipe-down, after eyeballing it a bit more at a few different angles -- since I'll have her fully up for the brake bleed. Then I'll take her to get an alignment done, if I can, prior to work.

IMG_20231221_122555878_HDR.jpg

Maybe you explained it before, but that rad cap does not look OE to me? Or is that what they look like with the Subaru sticker puller off?

Others have had problems with aftermarket ‘standard’ rad caps that so not have the same psi rating. I solved some of my coolant overflow problems with new caps for the swirlpot and rad. The original ones were tired, and the seals were failing.

Have also seen those splash results with higher than stock boost levels. Elevated peak boost on factory bolts can lift the heads a little, let some combustion gas creep into the coolant galleys. Ask me how I figured that one out….🙄

Maybe you explained it before, but that rad cap does not look OE to me? Or is that what they look like with the Subaru sticker puller off?

Others have had problems with aftermarket ‘standard’ rad caps that so not have the same psi rating. I solved some of my coolant overflow problems with new caps for the swirlpot and rad. The original ones were tired, and the seals were failing.

Have also seen those splash results with higher than stock boost levels. Elevated peak boost on factory bolts can lift the heads a little, let some combustion gas creep into the coolant galleys. Ask me how I figured that one out….🙄

I had discovered the OEM one was slightly loose, so I swapped it out as part of my investigative process for finding the leak. Given that this wasn't the first time she had coolant up that way, focused around the cap, I swapped it, cleaned it and everything was fine for a couple days -- but now there's coolant everywhere and there's not a loose cap in sight.

Also I'm rocking a 2.5i so sadly no boost for me. Though I can see the allure of a GT, given how Subi performs otherwise. Light car with a good amount of power? How about even MORE POWER?

Also obligatory "How'd you figure that out?"

Edited by Flaris
IT DIDNT QUOTE KZJONNY, but I am also coffeeless so it was probably just me.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pksystems said:

Is that the fumoto valve that has a rubber o-ring in it?  I've seen people have issues with that one leaking.   

No; maybe they updated it. The supplied gasket was a fiber gasket.

• Like 1

Got new wheels.  After test fitting my previous Enkei Triumphs and realizing they were too wide for my car (too much poke for what I wanted), I sold them and got Sparco Assetto Gara in a size that met my goals.

PXL_20231220_162331361.thumb.jpg.3ba1051411fd36e1a4e62b28318759b4.jpg

This bronze color is a little less gold/brown than the Enkeis, but I still love the look.

Doing tire shopping now.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SilentJ20 said:

Got new wheels.  After test fitting my previous Enkei Triumphs and realizing they were too wide for my car (too much poke for what I wanted), I sold them and got Sparco Assetto Gara in a size that met my goals.

PXL_20231220_162331361.thumb.jpg.3ba1051411fd36e1a4e62b28318759b4.jpg

This bronze color is a little less gold/brown than the Enkeis, but I still love the look.

Doing tire shopping now.  

You did not mention the size and off set of the Sparco?

What is your goal with tires?

3 hours ago, 310Z said:

You did not mention the size and off set of the Sparco?

What is your goal with tires?

The previous Enkeis were 18x8.5 et45, and they stuck out about a half inch past my fenders in front. These Sparcos are 18x8 et48, and they're pretty much flush.

For tires a didn't want a whole bunch of meat on them, I'll probably just stick with the factory tire size of 215/45R18.  Should fit fine with minimal bulge/slight stretch.  Just looking for a deal on decent all-seasons.

16 hours ago, KZJonny said:

KZ, hears the cap on my 09 Spec B.  Now on my 05 GT I had aftermarket caps, they came from NAPA, worked great. Seems there are only a few different caps pressures and they all fit most radiators. 

I also tended to replace the caps when the rubber seals got cracked, I never waited until I had issues. Cheap insurance. 

Now we know 2.5i have HG issues...

I'm also thinking "Flaris" should start his own thread, so it's easier to find and help him.

DSCN9439.JPG

• Like 2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1 hour ago, Max Capacity said:

KZ, hears the cap on my 09 Spec B.  Now on my 05 GT I had aftermarket caps, they came from NAPA, worked great. Seems there are only a few different caps pressures and they all fit most radiators. 

I also tended to replace the caps when the rubber seals got cracked, I never waited until I had issues. Cheap insurance. 

Now we know 2.5i have HG issues...

I'm also thinking "Flaris" should start his own thread, so it's easier to find and help him.

DSCN9439.JPG

Good idea! Also she/her (shockingly, I know). I'll make a new thread for it, though I was largely just reporting what I had done/what I had yet to do given the theme of the thread. I'll check NAPA for some decent caps, though.

As for what I'm doing today goes: Fighting with the rear upper caliper bracket bolt and cursing the piston dust seal, y'know, normal brake things. 🤭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flaris said:

Good idea! Also she/her (shockingly, I know). I'll make a new thread for it, though I was largely just reporting what I had done/what I had yet to do given the theme of the thread. I'll check NAPA for some decent caps, though.

As for what I'm doing today goes: Fighting with the rear upper caliper bracket bolt and cursing the piston dust seal, y'know, normal brake things. 🤭

Nothing beats OE, and it's $10 and some change out the door. https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2007_Legacy-25L-4AT-Sedan/Cap-Radiator-Radiator-Cap/49251974/45137AE00B.html

NAPA wants $12 plus tax, crazy.

Edited by silverton

On 12/21/2023 at 5:25 PM, Flaris said:

I had discovered the OEM one was slightly loose, so I swapped it out as part of my investigative process for finding the leak. Given that this wasn't the first time she had coolant up that way, focused around the cap, I swapped it, cleaned it and everything was fine for a couple days -- but now there's coolant everywhere and there's not a loose cap in sight.

Also I'm rocking a 2.5i so sadly no boost for me. Though I can see the allure of a GT, given how Subi performs otherwise. Light car with a good amount of power? How about even MORE POWER?

Also obligatory "How'd you figure that out?"

Hey, I still like my NA Outback. Just wish it was a manual.

And as @Max Capacity mentioned, tho hopefully not the case, the head gaskets on almost all 2.5L NA Subarus are kinda crap. They inevitably fail at ~250k kms. I just pulled the engine from mine to do that job + gaskets + valve adjustments etc… this Autumn.

Hopefully not the case for you, but worth considering. A ‘block test’ to look for traces of combustion gases in your coolant is a pretty cheap DIY, and may be informative.

As for ‘how do I know?’ I swapped to a @JmP6889928 custom VF40 and turned up the wick. ;)  If I lean hard enough on her, I’ll blow a little coolant out the reservoir. I suppose I have some ARP head studs in my near future…..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, silverton said:

Nothing beats OE, and it's $10 and some change out the door. https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2007_Legacy-25L-4AT-Sedan/Cap-Radiator-Radiator-Cap/49251974/45137AE00B.html

NAPA wants $12 plus tax, crazy.

I have an OEM one from the dealership in the mail but it's been delayed considerably by some routing errors that sent it all over the place. I..probably should have just gone to the dealer the next town over and asked if they had one instead. 😛 But I saw coolant and went "oh crap, need immediate temporary fix" and figured the OEM would have arrived already.

39 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Hey, I still like my NA Outback. Just wish it was a manual.

And as @Max Capacity mentioned, tho hopefully not the case, the head gaskets on almost all 2.5L NA Subarus are kinda crap. They inevitably fail at ~250k kms. I just pulled the engine from mine to do that job + gaskets + valve adjustments etc… this Autumn.

Hopefully not the case for you, but worth considering. A ‘block test’ to look for traces of combustion gases in your coolant is a pretty cheap DIY, and may be informative.

As for ‘how do I know?’ I swapped to a @JmP6889928 custom VF40 and turned up the wick. ;)  If I lean hard enough on her, I’ll blow a little coolant out the reservoir. I suppose I have some ARP head studs in my near future…..

A DIY Block test sounds like a pretty good idea. Subi has about 40k miles away from her 250k, so it wouldn't surprise me if the HG went the wayside or was getting close to doing so. So far none of the other usual signs have become apparent.

Aaaand that makes sense, hope the tradeoff for the little bit of coolant loss was a good few moments of fun. 😛

And for the "what did you do today?" I replaced the rear brake pads and rotors, so I'm in the process of bleeding the lines and then I'll likely wait until daytime to break in the new stuff. Too many close calls with deer out this way at night.

• Like 1

Yesterday was both celebration and mourning...

My oldest daughter was married and it was amazing, it's both hard and wonderful as a Dad.

The mourning was the likely loss of two Subaru wagons. At 3 am last night someone rear-ended the '06 LGT and totaled it, but also pushed it into the back of my '99 Outback and probably totaled it as well. 😞  

It was hit by a newer Silverado and the officer said it was probably totaled as well, he made it to the stop sign before the steering locked up on him and he couldn't get any further.

I'm going to try to keep the blue LGT and part it, but we are now on the hunt for another 4th gen LGT wagon...

IMG_20231223_081208270_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20231223_081215913_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20231223_081222094_HDR_AE.jpg

IMG_20231223_081230462_HDR_AE.jpg

• Sad 16

Congratulations on extending your family. My son and his girl friend go to different colleges in different states about 400 miles apart but that is a short weekend commute when you are young. Hopefully they will finish college. My daughter turns 18 next week, senior in high school, smart, wooped on all the boys growing up playing soccer and they are all afraid of her, or me. 

As for the cars, sorry that sucks. That was a beautiful car and to have two damaged at once. It is one thing to have a modern/replaceable vehicle damaged and you can just go get another one. But when they are not replaceable that is another story. I am always paranoid when my Z comes out of the garage and to a somewhat a lesser point the LGT. I bought the LGT to be a daily but now I know what I really have and I want to have garage space for it but a car cover is going to have to do for now and we live on property so there is no traffic on my driveway.

• Like 1