LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I considered PC'ing my Brembos white but ended up going with gloss black. The gloss black does mar pretty easily so I wish I went with another color. 

If you guys want to explore Cerakote. I think this is a viable option for its durability and chemical resistance. Color spread is not as extensive as typical powdercoating but I think Cerakote has it's benefits. 

Cerakoted: Brakes,Brake Caliper,Burnt Bronze H-148,Brembo,Satin Aluminum H-151,Automotive

• Like 2

@DoctorDaveLGT I say go with the blue or maybe even the oem copper color? I love that color combo with RBP (like boozes wagon) but I think it may work with white…I’d have to see a photochop to say yay or nay. I also think the blue would look fantastic, I like that color combo on the bimmers. It’d also be really different for a subie. 
Also not really something I’ve done to the car (yet) but I scored a set of pre-facelift oem headlight for stupid cheap! Here comes blacked out & clears housings. 😁

• Like 4

Last year I took my OZ wheels off the car while replacing my nailed up michelins. About 6-7 punctures, 3 plugs, and only one tire unscathed. Guess that's the cost of moving into a neighborhood still under construction. 

Anyway, plan was to restore the OZs. They were about 5 years old and starting to show clear coat wear. I'd scuff them down, somehow paint them gold and install new tires. 

In the meantime, I painted my old stock wheels white for kicks and giggles. It was actually a pretty enjoyable look, if not for needing to wipe them down every four hours. 

One. Freaking. Year. Later. Finally got around to even dismounting the michelins. 

20230901_110018_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

What did I do to the car?  I have a 2009 NA Legacy wagon and I usually drive my son-in-law to work but he took the day off yesterday.  So I went on a day trip that included Kennesis Lake area which is quite the roller coaster trip.  When you get to the top of a hill, you have to lean forward to see the other side of the hill.  I may have unported the oil pickup on one occasion because there seemed to be some drag on the engine but after stopping for a few minutes, the drag went away (probably along with some bearing material).  I averaged 7.22 litres / 100 km = 39.12 mpg (Imperial) = 32.58 mpg (US).  I was definitely glad I had topped up the oil on Monday.  The display indicated 7.2 litres/100 km, so it was accurate.  I used 42.858 litres and went 593.6 km.  Since the tank is 64 litres, I could have easily gone a few hundred more km.

Today I went on an garage sale expedition which is worse than stop and go driving.  It is shut down /  restart driving.  I still get 10.2 litres/100 km.

I don't know of any other car that has the cargo space and fuel economy of the Legacy wagon and still gets decent performance.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2023 at 12:50 PM, seanyb505 said:

Last year I took my OZ wheels off the car while replacing my nailed up michelins. About 6-7 punctures, 3 plugs, and only one tire unscathed. Guess that's the cost of moving into a neighborhood still under construction. 

Anyway, plan was to restore the OZs. They were about 5 years old and starting to show clear coat wear. I'd scuff them down, somehow paint them gold and install new tires. 

In the meantime, I painted my old stock wheels white for kicks and giggles. It was actually a pretty enjoyable look, if not for needing to wipe them down every four hours. 

One. Freaking. Year. Later. Finally got around to even dismounting the michelins. 

20230901_110018_HDR.jpg

Life gets in the way…just how it goes sometimes. I think it took me 6 mos to install my turbo heat shield, about the same  for my tail lights…still haven’t installed my strut tower brace, I’ve had that for at least a year now…😕

On 9/2/2023 at 1:12 PM, amptramp said:

What did I do to the car?  I have a 2009 NA Legacy wagon and I usually drive my son-in-law to work but he took the day off yesterday.  So I went on a day trip that included Kennesis Lake area which is quite the roller coaster trip.  When you get to the top of a hill, you have to lean forward to see the other side of the hill.  I may have unported the oil pickup on one occasion because there seemed to be some drag on the engine but after stopping for a few minutes, the drag went away (probably along with some bearing material).  I averaged 7.22 litres / 100 km = 39.12 mpg (Imperial) = 32.58 mpg (US).  I was definitely glad I had topped up the oil on Monday.  The display indicated 7.2 litres/100 km, so it was accurate.  I used 42.858 litres and went 593.6 km.  Since the tank is 64 litres, I could have easily gone a few hundred more km.

Today I went on an garage sale expedition which is worse than stop and go driving.  It is shut down /  restart driving.  I still get 10.2 litres/100 km.

I don't know of any other car that has the cargo space and fuel economy of the Legacy wagon and still gets decent performance.

That sounds like a day well spent! My family used to have land up near Halliburton. Wouldn’t complain about getting to see pictures of that…

Pulled the trailer hitch off the car finally. The exhaust post Cobb down pipe is together, but I'm wondering for how long? That will have to wait for another time as the suspension and control arms are shorter for this world and the Whiteline sway bar kit is just hanging out in the garage.

Hearing a ticking sound under load. Sounds like it's coming from under the car, but haven't been able to identify where. It only lasts a few seconds before I have to get out of throttle. It almost sounds like a bunch of zip ties around the driveshaft. 

Initial visual inspection showed no obvious marks on the drive shafts or axles. 

Wondering what worst case scenario is. Would a turbo going sound like that? It's not really a squeally sound, and performance is still fine. 

Edit: Drove some back roads for boost. No noise. 

Edited by seanyb505

When I got mine back, mine had a tick at around 2k rpm (not in boost) but it was super faint and I wouldn’t have caught it without having the windows open. Course the place who had worked on it just rebuilt the turbo, then test drove it. They didn’t rebuild it properly. When the turbo was actually going out it sounded like a faint ambulance siren whenever I got on throttle (also not in boost). That was the bearing on bearing action…😕 does the pitch change with speed? Maybe a driveshaft carrier bearing?

Replaced the front hubs.  Well, I attempted to replace the front hubs.  Trying out Detroit Axle as reading HERE they seem to be a decent option.  Driver side was ok, took some time to remove the bolts but I eventually got it all back together.  Passenger side, however...  3 out of 4 bolts had enough thread damage from corrosion that I could barely get them out, and can't be re-used.  So after I get new bolts *sigh* I'll get the passenger side on.

On the plus side, the brakes are in excellent shape and I have a lot more time remaining than I thought.

• Like 2

Just for @SoobyDoobyDoo These are the pictures taken from the bridge separating the north and south sides of Kennisis Lake.  As you can see, off in the distance, there are a lot of roller coaster hills, but they don't show up here as well as they do in person.  The first picture is looking northeast from the bridge.

kennisis north.jpg

The second picture is looking southeast from the bridge.  You can see extremely tiny cottages with huge hills the roads are on.

Kennisis island.jpg

Edited by amptramp
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, SilentJ20 said:

Replaced the front hubs.  Well, I attempted to replace the front hubs.  Trying out Detroit Axle as reading HERE they seem to be a decent option.  Driver side was ok, took some time to remove the bolts but I eventually got it all back together.  Passenger side, however...  3 out of 4 bolts had enough thread damage from corrosion that I could barely get them out, and can't be re-used.  So after I get new bolts *sigh* I'll get the passenger side on.

On the plus side, the brakes are in excellent shape and I have a lot more time remaining than I thought.

Finished replacing the hubs.  I strongly recommend disconnecting the steering end link from the spindle.  Pull the pin, undo the castle nut, tap the ball-joint shaft and with it out of the way the spindle can be turned both ways quickly and easily for better access.

Also, almost cross-threaded a caliper bracket.  I don't know how the F I managed to do it, it started easy by hand and I almost just grunted through tightening it up.  Caught myself in time, cleaned the threads by going through backwards and was able to install/torque it fine.  About sh!t myself when I realized what I'd almost done.

But, wheels are turning nice and quiet again.  We'll see how long these hubs last.

• Like 1

Will be embarking on putting in the new radio + JDM air controls/double din adapter this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem unless my electrically-dumb self can't figure out how to wire up the adapter harness properly. 

Also going to be throwing on those Genome mufflers, finally. 

• Like 3