LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

After way too long in the garage I was finally able to take my new shortblock rebuild out for a 15 minute data log drive. Have a P0458 code popping up. Installed an IAG AOS, so wonder if that has something to do with it? There was a slight squeal coming from the transmission or possibly steering pump. I think its worked itself out by the end of the test run. Man it's pretty nerve wracking to start up your first engine out job.

• Like 6

A few pics of the rattle can job I did this weekend.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also bought a roof rack for the PA trip, just over a month away.

Edited by tysparks81
  • Like 5

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Started doing rear brakes

Installed all fuel lines

Installed grimmspeed silicone post maf hose

Installed new panel intake filter and box

Added  larger ground wire to ported TGV housing since I had to reorganize some grounds.

Finished my front emblem.  Wetsanded the blue off and gave it a shot of red duplicolor metal specks.  Then filled in the back with epoxy to try to keep the badge from cracking if it takes a rock hit.

PXL_20230509_150209623~2.jpg

• Like 7

Car is throwing p0021.  left side AVCS isn't working it seems based on my logs.  I've replaced the OVC valve already but the issue persists.  I checked timing and i'm spot on.  Engine runs fine, other than the AVCS not working.  both intake cams are sitting at 0 with the CEL on according to my logs.  After a reset the right side was working as intended, i did see the left side go up to 2 degrees for a second, but then right back to 0 until the CEL came back on.

When I rebuilt the engine back in 2019 i did not re-install any banjo filters.  I've ordered a new intake sprocket as I suspect that to be the culprit.  I've changed my oil and filter also, light came right back on after about 2 miles of driving.  

Went with the sprocket based on a thread Underdog put out many years ago.  his symptoms seem to be the same as mine.  I've on ly got 35k miles since my rebuild which included a new short block, rebuild heads from a reputable shop, all new oil components due to my low oil negligence before and destroying a bearing and the engine.  She's been pro-tuned, and runs like a champ other than my exhaust leak that i've been too lazy to fix.  

So next week I get to re-do my timing. SUPER excited about that.  I do have the company23 tools to make life easier.  Haven't done timing while its inside the car yet, but looking at it there should be plenty of room with the radiator fans removed.

That's my story.  I don't post here often but I do love seeing what everybody's up to.  

• Like 2

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.  The AVCS gears are prone to collecting contamination.  If you killed a set of bearings and re-used the avcs gears without servicing or replacing them the contamination contained within most likely spread into the new engine as well.... 

• Like 1

Drained and refilled front/rear diffs as well as the transmission.  Contrary to what I was seeing on the forums, my rear diff does infact have crush washers on the plugs.  And they are on the side of the diff.  My Forester has the layout I was expecting to see. 😀

6 piston Brembo swap is on hold, so I tossed on some amazon rotors/pads.

Lower caliper slides were seized but I managed to get them free and cleaned them up.

Cleaned up the factory intercooler and JBWelded the entire crimped edge.

PXL_20230512_030618224.jpg

PXL_20230511_012056389.jpg

Edited by pksystems
  • Like 1

Screwed around with the wheel sensors some more trying to get rid of C0105, 0109, 0111 codes. Right rear. Got kind of fed up and threw in a used one I had lying around that I think was good, and will re-asses after putting some kms on her. I don't know if resetting the ECU clears chassis codes or not?

Also, I was speculating on here at some point that the R/L wheel speed sensors should be the same, but maybe just have oppositely shaped metal brackets for each side. Since they're just a hall sensor etc... Probably true internally, but the R/L side of the car have opposite plug configurations to prevent you from goofing it up. One side the car is M and the other side the car is F, plugs are the opposite.

Now you know and won't spend an hour moving a sensor from one bracket to another, cleaning it all up to make it look pretty and then install it only to realize that you can't make two female connectors plug into one another.

Diagnosed the A/C that has never really worked since I bought the car, and topped up with some refrigerant/dye/gasket and o-ring leak repair. Got icy cold air out the vents immediately. Also pretty immediately saw dye bubbling up from where one of the condenser hoses meets the compressor. The 'most common' failure point on Subaru air conditioning systems... I can't win. So, either the leak stopper is going to work, and prevent me from losing the added refrigerant, or I need to start asking my HVAC buddies if I can borrow their gear to evacuate the system, so I can replace a $3 o-ring and have AC.

Edited by KZJonny

21 hours ago, bobglaub said:

Car is throwing p0021.  left side AVCS isn't working it seems based on my logs.  I've replaced the OVC valve already but the issue persists.  I checked timing and i'm spot on.  Engine runs fine, other than the AVCS not working.  both intake cams are sitting at 0 with the CEL on according to my logs.  After a reset the right side was working as intended, i did see the left side go up to 2 degrees for a second, but then right back to 0 until the CEL came back on.

When I rebuilt the engine back in 2019 i did not re-install any banjo filters.  I've ordered a new intake sprocket as I suspect that to be the culprit.  I've changed my oil and filter also, light came right back on after about 2 miles of driving.  

Went with the sprocket based on a thread Underdog put out many years ago.  his symptoms seem to be the same as mine.  I've on ly got 35k miles since my rebuild which included a new short block, rebuild heads from a reputable shop, all new oil components due to my low oil negligence before and destroying a bearing and the engine.  She's been pro-tuned, and runs like a champ other than my exhaust leak that i've been too lazy to fix. 

The diagnostics for AVCS related codes are to first swap the OCV solenoids side to side, intake for intake, exhaust for exhaust, if the code moves you need a new solenoid, if it doesn't you need a new sprocket. Good luck!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, m sprank said:

Good luck, fingers crossed for you.  The AVCS gears are prone to collecting contamination.  If you killed a set of bearings and re-used the avcs gears without servicing or replacing them the contamination contained within most likely spread into the new engine as well.... 

Thanks, no i didn't reuse ANY oil components.  new everything. The car does sit more often that it used to now that I live in the NorthEast where they salt the roads.  So she sits all winter in the snow because apartment life.  I do oil changes in the spring and fall, but when i do drive it i drive it hard so who knows what's going on with it.  the clutch is shot and can't put power to the wheels in 5th.  but that's an issue for a different day.

1 hour ago, silverton said:

The diagnostics for AVCS related codes are to first swap the OCV solenoids side to side, intake for intake, exhaust for exhaust, if the code moves you need a new solenoid, if it doesn't you need a new sprocket. Good luck!

Thanks, I read this AFTER i''d replaced the solenoid. I swapped it out with a new part and the code went from 2088 to 0021.  so like... progress?  

It's a subaru and throwing money at it is something i've grown accustomed to.  

Very easy to test the solenoids without re-installing.  They are driven by a 12v elctro magnet.  Two electrical terminals, positive/ground.  Use a spare car battery (sometimes a 9V even works, lol) and supply 12 volts to one pin and ground to the other.  Have fun snapping the valve open and closed (when they are good). 

• Like 3

Posting here because this is where it will be seen. Going on a drive tomorrow and wanted to invite everyone in the western WA area. 

I'll furnish the route privately to those that are interested. The details are below:

Trying to keep this between 3 - 6 cars. We'll be leaving Redmond Town Center (RTC) no later than 7:00am for Spada Lake. Round trip is 110mi at 3hr 6min. Shorter if you jump in late, or cut out early.

Guest List:

- 991.2 Carrera S

- 981 GT4

- myself

Invitees List:

- 2007 STi

- 2005 Legacy GT Wagon

- [insert here]

MILKRUN  - Click Here

It's a shame I'm busy 😭... this is by far one of my favorite road signs. Last weekend the girlfriend and I went as far as we could on the south side of mountain loop highway. Be safe out there guys! Wait, I mean... drive fast, take chances!

Capture.PNG

• Like 3

Broke my transmission on the way to work yesterday.

I have a 40 mile one-way commute.  My job site is right at the freeway offramp so I get off the freeway, make a right turn at the end of the ramp, another right in one block then another right turn in one more block and I'm there.

So, I'm almost to work, changing into the right lane to take my exit and this buzzing noise starts and gets rapidly louder.  I turn off the radio and take my foot off the gas and I can tell that the noise is coming from the transmission, just to the right of my right foot.  I push in the clutch but it makes no difference. The frequency of the buzzing slows as the car slows on the ramp and just before I come to a stop I feel a shudder and hear some gnarly clanking noises.  The car still rolls when I let the clutch out so I drive slowly around the two corners into the parking lot but there are a couple of "hitches" or "catches" along the way accompanied by bad metallic noises and as I try to back into my parking space the transmission seizes and the car jolts to a stop.  I'm actually in my parking spot so I shut it down and go in and tell the boss I'm going to have to have a tow truck come and tow it away... LOL.

I'm not terribly surprised. This trans has 192k on it and I put a brand new, 326whp engine in front of it about 10K ago.  I never do hard launches, but I love feeling the power if you know what I mean...

So, I had it towed back to the shop that put the engine in and asked them to install a '15+ WRX 6MT. 

They've never done this before so they're a bit skeptical.  I've sent them links to the threads in this forum about this but they missed the fact that you don't need to replace the clutch and wanted me to authorize a whole new clutch and turning of the flywheel.  We'll have to have a discussion about that on Monday.  Hopefully this doesn't take too long...

Edited by TMBLKDG
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, silverton said:

It's a shame I'm busy 😭... this is by far one of my favorite road signs. Last weekend the girlfriend and I went as far as we could on the south side of mountain loop highway. Be safe out there guys! Wait, I mean... drive fast, take chances!

Capture.PNG

I had no idea...  Gonna have to go for a spin out there!  I live down by Maltby, so not too far from me. Definitely won't be taking the wife though, she's terrified by any kind of fast driving and doesn't even like me passing people on empty roads... LOL.

• Like 1

@TMBLKDG and @silverton Y'all should subscribe to the sub-forum below, so I can start confidently posting in that, knowing content will be seen:

https://www.legacygt.com/forum/20-pacific-northwest/

There will be more. I'll be driving just about every weekend from here on, and some times twice a weekend. Both street, and closed course. For the sake of redundancy, I can also reach out and PM y'all if you would like?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

4 hours ago, TMBLKDG said:

So, I had it towed back to the shop that put the engine in and asked them to install a '15+ WRX 6MT. 

Sorry to hear the bad news. Glad you got your use out of it, and I cannot wait to hear about and see your '15+ WRX 6MT swap!

• Like 3

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I've been traveling for work the past couple months and I finally washed my car for the first time since I corrected the paint last week of February. I've never ever taken this amount of time between washes before.

I was trying hard to find an angle where the sun didn't just blind the camera and wash everything out. These pictures are not doing this car justice.

C9A3EE91-A6AB-4A69-ABAC-8B06DCB932E3.thumb.jpeg.489d64a0f074ef59d60709c96db4559a.jpeg

I forgot to wipe my lens for this picture.

9A98A49E-4CB0-4508-AEB1-482422A67598.thumb.jpeg.93946bc808f17c484afb79066ecfcb13.jpeg

Nope —that's not dirt! Every single spec you see is all Pearl, and that's what the camera sees at this angle. There is so much more galaxy to see in person!

7AF92D13-318C-40BB-A6DC-132941567447.thumb.jpeg.a804936af5e4c0f30744812334b90606.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

15 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

Posting here because this is where it will be seen. Going on a drive tomorrow and wanted to invite everyone in the western WA area. 

I'll furnish the route privately to those that are interested. The details are below:

Trying to keep this between 3 - 6 cars. We'll be leaving Redmond Town Center (RTC) no later than 7:00am for Spada Lake. Round trip is 110mi at 3hr 6min. Shorter if you jump in late, or cut out early.

Guest List:

- 991.2 Carrera S

- 981 GT4

- myself

Invitees List:

- 2007 STi

- 2005 Legacy GT Wagon

- [insert here]

just saw this. looks like yer almost finished. oh well.

if you come through seattle, drop me a line. you can get your last wheel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, boxkita said:

just saw this. looks like yer almost finished. oh well.

if you come through seattle, drop me a line. you can get your last wheel.

Just seeing this. I'll text you early next week! Thanks for reminding me.

We took our cars for a hike this morning. Not planned at all, our last 8mi of our route came to a loose gravel road. No one shied away, so we sent it good to Lake Spada and back before enjoying the wonderful Sultan Basin Rd back to HWY 2. Washing my car again tomorrow morning.

886C3E61-67D9-4713-86BB-0D568C91E2F4.thumb.jpeg.4d87d0c8957012b39c9d9a94aa8f5af9.jpeg

D209C029-38DF-4CDF-8C14-18B997121D6E.thumb.jpeg.7d54b5a11a87a3b4ae9ce5e4bd49e28c.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I ❤️ Index.  I actually want to live there.  Though I would miss my 6-8 minute commute, I think it would be worth the additional hour...hour and a half.

Right on the river, lets gooo

PXL_20220628_003548703.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, silverton said:

I ❤️ Index.  I actually want to live there.  Though I would miss my 6-8 minute commute, I think it would be worth the additional hour...hour and a half.

Beautiful home! Looks like Reiter Rd to Index is getting added to the driving road list. @Gex is the only reason I knew about yesterday's roads. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

2 hours ago, silverton said:

That's gorgeous!!

When I first started working in Redmond, I was recovering from being a full-time ski bum. I looked at a place across from Alpental ski area. Wondering if it was viable, I drove out on the evening commute spent the night then drove in for the morning commute. Ugh...bought a place in South Park instead.

I see road trip in the future. :)