LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Replaced the COBB SF intake with the factory intake.  Turns out whatever previous owner that installed the COBB never tuned the ECU to account for it.  Never had a CEL or any trouble codes, but the Learningview showed I was essentially in a sort of limp mode, with massive fuel trims and heavy timing adjustments to fight knock.

After the factory intake went on (after having to buy one on ebay), reset the ECU and the car is totally different.  More power, no weird uneven power delivery, and the Learningview is a picture of health that can't be better.  SO nice to have a happy car again.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Enlight said:

Mazda (N3R1-14-302) Oil Filter Cartridge

Here it is on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HG7G3VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There may be some differences depending on where you are.  In Canada, Mazda supplies a Mazda branded filter, but it is a Fram filter with a black paint job instead of orange.  I don't know of any car manufacturer who makes its own oil filters.  I did use a NAPA/Wix filter once but it tended to unscrew itself due to vibration.  I have used Amzoil filters before but they are getting expensive and hard to find in a retail shop.  I am currently running AC Delco and it seems to be OK.

1 hour ago, amptramp said:

There may be some differences depending on where you are.  In Canada, Mazda supplies a Mazda branded filter, but it is a Fram filter with a black paint job instead of orange.  I don't know of any car manufacturer who makes its own oil filters.  I did use a NAPA/Wix filter once but it tended to unscrew itself due to vibration.  I have used Amzoil filters before but they are getting expensive and hard to find in a retail shop.  I am currently running AC Delco and it seems to be OK.

Fwiw, the ones I get at Mazda are the legit made in Japan Tokyo Rokis. Just ask for a filter for a 2008-10? RX-8. Correct bypass pressure etc….. They even just fit snug into the oil filter heat shield blanket meant for the Subaru filters, and clear a Killer B manifold.

Easier than importing good ‘black’ Subaru filters from Japan.

I would not use a repainted Fram, personally.

On 3/3/2023 at 1:58 PM, bobglaub said:

I am unable to view that link.  I also don't see Site Announcements anywhere.  I'm probably just blind.

I know this is being looked into, but I am going to second this…

For whatever reason, I also can’t find a ‘Site Announcements’ sub header. And I seem to recall one from before. Maybe pre-facelift, so to speak?

No idea why, and an issue for the mods, but maybe some kind of access tiering for members being applied without knowing it.

Or help me out with where I need to be looking to find it…

10 hours ago, KZJonny said:

I know this is being looked into, but I am going to second this…

For whatever reason, I also can’t find a ‘Site Announcements’ sub header. And I seem to recall one from before. Maybe pre-facelift, so to speak?

No idea why, and an issue for the mods, but maybe some kind of access tiering for members being applied without knowing it.

Or help me out with where I need to be looking to find it…

I’ve reached out to @Tide about it. It looks like a permissions issue and I believe it’s something the standard Admins don’t have the ability to fix. Hope to have it resolved soon.   

Basically Moderator != Admin 😄

• Like 2

In the middle of replacing the passenger air temperature actuator that died on hot on the white wagon, replaced the cabin air filter while I'm in there, it was overdue.

The fuel pump in the blue wagon died in a parking lot with my son and his girlfriend yesterday. Zero fuel pressure and wouldn't start. Thankfully, there was a spare bucket w/ DW 65C in the pile of parts I inherited from utc_pryo.  So, my son and I headed over with a Philips screwdriver, pliers, and a 8mm socket. Swapped out the fuel bucket in 20 min, and she was good to go.  Much better than doing it in the hotel parking lot in AZ. It cuts down a lot of time to have a spare bucket w/ pump ready to go.

I like the Konis w/ pinks (f) and king lowering outback springs (r), but they still don't hold a candle to a nicely done set of Bilstein PSS coilovers. Those are amazing! The corners are so flat, and the turn in right now is amazing. I can feel it down on 20mph 90 degree turns up through higher speeds. 

Really hoping to kick Long COVID enough to make the ECM meet up. Would love to bring my son and two wagons, but he has committed to a weeklong event that conflicts. So, if I'm up to it, I can hopefully drive the white wagon over.

Need to give the fleet a bath so I can take pictures.

• Like 5

Am I supposed to be looking at the LGT or the SuperBee?    Cause honestly, theres not much comparison.  I will take the SuperBee for $500 and give you another $500 to keep the LGT.  ROFL.

Glad you were able to swap out that fuel pump easily enough.  Oddly, I had a customer lose a pump at a gas station not too far from my shop.  I swapped his pump at the pump, LOL.  Would be great to see you at the meet.  But your health is far more important.  Get Well!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, m sprank said:

Am I supposed to be looking at the LGT or the SuperBee?    Cause honestly, theres not much comparison.  I will take the SuperBee for $500 and give you another $500 to keep the LGT.  ROFL.

Haha! My dad would absolutely kill me if I sold his superbee 😆😅 I don't blame you, it's a cool car. But I love my subie girl and wouldn't trade her 😁

Modifed my AFPR bracket to clear the intercooler support bracket.  Started cutting teflon fuel hose for my parallel setup.  I forgot how painful assembling braided stainless is.  :)

First hose assembled and pressure tested.  No leaks.

2 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

What was the sequence of events? And what was the cause?

Me went off track, me went back on track, tried to get back up to speed, noticed my tire was dead. Retired car for the day. Amazingly rest of the suspension and underside were fine. I took a hard square edge hit coming back on that killed the wheel/tire. Watching the go-pro I screwed myself coming back on. Red mist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

(Didn't seem worth starting a new thread)

Off the cuff, does anyone know if there is a difference between the L and R rear wheel speed sensors aside from the shape of the bracket that attaches to the trailing arm. I mean, they are clearly shaped differently but I would assume the sensor itself if the same thing, at least in how it functions?

Just curious because I thought I would grab one off the parts car that's in my driveway, and some previous person decided re-tapping holes was too much work, so they just welded all the brackets for the sensors and e-brake stuff to the trailing arm!!

I might just cut the brackets off and install the presumed functional sensor into the metal brackets in mine. I don't want to do any of this right now, really, since it is below zero C and slushy/snowy. Yay!

• Sad 1

I wouldn’t think so since all they’re doing is sending an electrical signal back to the mothership (ie some part that sends a signal to somewhere else)…but I could be wrong too. Could be the way the electrical signal is generated based on which side it’s on. Is it your daily or a project? Id just try it before you cut it off and see if it triggers your abs sensor. You’ll probably know immediately if it doesn’t like it…maybe someone else knows better…?

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

14 hours ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

I wouldn’t think so since all they’re doing is sending an electrical signal back to the mothership (ie some part that sends a signal to somewhere else)…but I could be wrong too. Could be the way the electrical signal is generated based on which side it’s on. Is it your daily or a project? Id just try it before you cut it off and see if it triggers your abs sensor. You’ll probably know immediately if it doesn’t like it…maybe someone else knows better…?

It's the GT. Not my daily, so yeah.. I'll have a go at it. But before I go to all the trouble of installing it into the 'good' brackets, I'll see if just plugging it in clears the code.
It's supposed to be above zero Celcius next week, maybe. So, it can wait a little. Parts car is not 'mine' and the fellow who owns it has everything he needs out of it, so I'll be happy to move it on and get my driveway back.

The wheel bearing contains a chip, the sensor reads the chip.  The sensor is directional in that it needs to be pointing towards the bearing.  When you remove the sensor you can see the side that reads.  It has a flat cut indentation along the bottom 1/4".  If memory serves it is on the opposite side of the mounting tab. 

On 3/10/2023 at 2:36 PM, Dragonempress said:

Haha! My dad would absolutely kill me if I sold his superbee 😆😅 I don't blame you, it's a cool car. But I love my subie girl and wouldn't trade her 😁

Tell your dad I will give him a 12 pack of his favorite beer for a test drive.  Respect for American Muscle that runs $90k new. 

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

The wheel bearing contains a chip, the sensor reads the chip.  The sensor is directional in that it needs to be pointing towards the bearing.  When you remove the sensor you can see the side that reads.  It has a flat cut indentation along the bottom 1/4".  If memory serves it is on the opposite side of the mounting tab. 

Perfect. That was what I figured, but there was always the chance it had some kind of directional polarity.

I'll attempt to cut up/hack off the correct side sensor, which would mean I wouldnt have to twist it 180 to make it face the right direction. It wouldn't have a tab to bolt it in if the opposite one was used either, so it could rotate and rub on the tone ring. (Common failure for speed sensors around here is rust pushing out the tone ring, which then cuts into the flat face of the sensor, killing it.)

15 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Perfect. That was what I figured, but there was always the chance it had some kind of directional polarity.

I'll attempt to cut up/hack off the correct side sensor, which would mean I wouldnt have to twist it 180 to make it face the right direction. It wouldn't have a tab to bolt it in if the opposite one was used either, so it could rotate and rub on the tone ring. (Common failure for speed sensors around here is rust pushing out the tone ring, which then cuts into the flat face of the sensor, killing it.)

You'll be able to see that in pictures I've posted about replacing my sensors. They will show that angled wear.

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here