LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I hear you. Which is why I took the matter in my own hands. Car has not exploded yet :eek:

I did the same.

I paid for updates a couple years after the initial tune.

Then I started making small modifications to the tune myself.

Burned the latest tune revision from Mike @ Tuning Alliance to the car. Now we are talking. Not sure what he altered and don't really care. The car feels much more responsive in the low rpm range and pulls great to the top.

Have to figure out this turbo heat shield/blanket deal (sort of waiting for the weather to break) and find a sway bar. Just driving the damn thing after that.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mike Kinsman worked some magic with my last tune. Feels alot smoother than my tune from another big name tuner. Would love to get it on a dyno soon to see what she's making.

Installed some avo rear sway brackets, went pretty easy Torque wrench maxed at 110 lbs so I took it to that and then gave a few extra ugga duggas . Looking forward to getting the whiteline sways installed once they get delivered.

Did spark plugs and oil last week so waiting for the Blackstone report to come in.

Wash and a quick spray wax. It looked like that Durango prior. Washed that pig too. d6f8df69cdfd68ff7af6a44e3232cc4f.jpg

God I wish I could keep mine looking like that. Living on a dirt road on top of a Colorado mountain makes that impossible. Have you tried any ceramic coatings?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That was actually a Turtle Wax ceramic spray n hose job. Then I used some Banana stuff from Chemical Guys. The paint isn't perfect by any means but it shines up pretty good.

Burned the latest tune revision from Mike @ Tuning Alliance to the car. Now we are talking. Not sure what he altered and don't really care. The car feels much more responsive in the low rpm range and pulls great to the top.

Have to figure out this turbo heat shield/blanket deal (sort of waiting for the weather to break) and find a sway bar. Just driving the damn thing after that.

I think you know I have the gold heat foil inside my stock heatshield for the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sure did. Pulleys , gates belt and water pump.

Keep us updated, we don't recommend that Gates kit anymore.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Keep us updated, we don't recommend that Gates kit anymore.
Lol thanks for the paranoia now. Is this something you would replace with OEM as soon as you could? The kit was put in by the dealer I purchased the vehicle from.

Edited by Spec-Beast

Hopefully Gates took the hint by now and fixed the kit that had cheap parts in it.

It's well documented that Gates kit is/was junk.

How long is the warranty ?

Aisin is the kit we use. Look in the DIY Forum below about timing belts.

or here,

https://www.google.com/search?q=gates+timing+belt+failure&sxsrf=APq-WBtCPk0VkwvHaDL8tSPjzmqoqUojZQ%3A1649030682459&source=hp&ei=GjZKYvrNGdTXytMPjsqR-A0&iflsig=AHkkrS4AAAAAYkpEKhq3-qtFsFSrlv2t46y3ak4GbaXG&oq=Gates+timing+belt+issues&gs_lcp=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&sclient=gws-wiz

Not sure of the warranty. Purchased the vehicle in California who had it put in by thier local mechanic. I guess my thought process is , my ultimate goal for the vehicle is 500hp,so I think I'll just drive it until if/when it decides to let go. Then I can half justify a new built motor to my wife.

What types of things should I be on the lookout for that would relate to the pulleys/belt giving out?

Not sure of the warranty. Purchased the vehicle in California who had it put in by thier local mechanic. I guess my thought process is , my ultimate goal for the vehicle is 500hp,so I think I'll just drive it until if/when it decides to let go. Then I can half justify a new built motor to my wife.

What types of things should I be on the lookout for that would relate to the pulleys/belt giving out?

The toothed pulley I think is the first to worry about but also the bearings in the other pulleys made in China not Japan.

Read on here before you go to 500hp. It's not needed in these cars. Low 300's AWHP is fine, reliable and fun.

That's interesting. When I had my timing belt done on the Subaru, the mechanic said they had failures with Aisin so they stopped using it and they used a Continental kit. When I had it done on my Miata, they also used a Continental kit. So far, no problems.

Interesting, tell us the date you had yours replaced. This must be something new.

Drove it on Saturday - great day to be out. Started to notice that at random times the steering wheel would be shaking at low, mid and higher speeds. Randomly the shake would go away and everything would be normal. I could also hear a humming noise accompanying the shaking - this also went away when the shaking went away.

Mind was racing as to what the culprit was. Brakes, axle, wheel bearing, center diff (oh no)? To be safe, I limped it home a few miles barely touching the brakes. Get home and check each rotor. Front driver rotor was luke-warm. Both rears, luke warm. Front passenger cooked my finger after a 1/2 second touch. Holy hell was it hot. Looking like a seized caliper that would sometimes unseize and sometimes stay stuck. Gonna tear into it this weekend. Should really just get the Brembos and be done with these reman crap calipers

Changed fuel filter (42072ag16a) and fuel pump strainer (952-0086 denso). I then noticed that one of the orings is damaged. That can't be good. I have been chasing a strange case of lean condition at partial throttle.

Anyone ever changed these and/or know where to get them? Subaru won't list them since you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly from them. I just want a new set of orings.

IMG_20220402_171102.thumb.jpg.879776817cf0a1459e0b0aee004e9300.jpg

IMG_20220402_173006.thumb.jpg.2b81503988d4105147de8ee87bfb0e33.jpg

IMG_20220402_174453.thumb.jpg.001eaeab2b3c471de00d797fc12bb08a.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Changed fuel filter (42072ag16a) and fuel pump strainer (952-0086 denso). I then noticed that one of the orings is damaged. That can't be good. I have been chasing a strange case of lean condition at partial throttle.

Anyone ever changed these and/or know where to get them? Subaru won't list them since you have to buy the whole fuel pump assembly from them. I just want a new set of orings.

I think I replaced mine with some from a variety kit from harbor freight. I have 2 or 3 assorted o-ring kits from different materials for different applications, then I pick the type and size that is needed for whatever I need to replace. I had a replace an o-ring on one of the ports on my quickjack a couple weeks ago, all better now.

They are on parts.subaru.com. You need 3x 42025AG070 and 1x 42025AG080. f238c465e419ff50bfe4398d49a3acf2.jpg