LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Yeah, I shied away from getting a 18" wheel/tire package because of tire prices. Instead opted for 225/45/17 tires to put on the stock wheels while I wait for a 17x8 wheel that I actually want to get back in stock, or show up used locally.

Everything is creeping up :(.

Two weeks ago, 3.71$ for premium, now 4.81$.

Very similar to where I'm at in Taxachusetts.. food, everything. Hell even some of the "cheaper" gas stations have lines to the pumps because people don't want to spend more the next day!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Very similar to where I'm at in Taxachusetts.. food, everything. Hell even some of the "cheaper" gas stations have lines to the pumps because people don't want to spend more the next day!

It sucks man. I mean, I am grateful that I can work from home. But still, this will have a ripple effect on groceries, car parts, anything... :mad:

About a week ago I finished installing a 2012 LGT 6mt in my '05 wagon.

100% love it and would do it again in a heartbeat. :wub:

I understand that's it's not for everyone, it's a split case 6mt with cable shifter. If you are going for 400hp+ and/or prefer the direct linkage for the shifter, then go for the STi 6mt.

However, if you are <400HP (honestly, it's the torque and how you drive it that matter more, people just have a tendency to measure by HP) and don't mind the cable shifting, then this is a perfectly viable option for 1/2-1/3 the cost.

You can use a 2010-2012 Legacy/Outback 6mt (with some minor mods) or a 2015-2022 WRX 6mt. All you need is the transmission and cable shifter mechanism, and to make sure your rear diff matches. Most of the split case 6mts are 4.11, but there are a few 4.44 from the Outbacks.

The list of things I could reuse from my 5mt setup:

- Driveshaft

- Transmission cradle w/ bushings

- CV axles

- Flywheel and Clutch

- TSK Throwout Bearing

- Verus Harden fork and pivot

The 2015-2022 WRX 6mt is the easiest because it's the same mounting system as the 5mt in the 4th Gens. Plus, it's newer, but generally a little more expensive than the 2010-2012 Legacy/Outback 6mt. It looks like the cable shifter mechanism can be interchanged, I'm using a 2020 WRX shifter on the 2012 LGT 6mt and it works great.

Due to the unique mounting system for the 2010-2012 LGT there are a few extra things you have to do to get those 6mts to fit. You need the dogbone mount off your 5mt because it doesn't have one and you need to cut/grind off the mount on the passenger side (as documented my thread) so that it can clear the turbo. Other than that, the rest of the case differences don't really matter. I'm going to claim than the extra bracing in the case due to the mounting system provides a stronger case (but I honestly have no idea). I did pull over the two sensors from my 5mt as well, they just plug in at the same locations.

I love that I can now upgrade to a 17 year newer transmission in my 2005. One day I may bump from my 2012 6mt to a 202x 6mt if I need to. The 6mt is definitely quieter and smoother shifting than my 5mt, and it has more miles on it. Road noise is down due to the cable shifter isolating sound better and lower RPM from the 6th gear. So far MPG is up 3-4 mpg in hwy driving.

I highly recommend the upgrades that the WRX crew has known about since 2015, the short shifter, the short shift adapter plate, and the shift stop. Right now my shifts are very tight and smooth. It's honestly tighter than my 5mt ever was even with solid bushings.

I did pick up a seal kit for the 6mt because I wanted to replace axle and rear seals before install. I also picked up the washer and cotter pin and four bolts for attaching the shifter mechanism to the body.

It amazes me that 16 years later, I can bolt the cable shifter mechanism to the exact spot with the same four bolt holes as the surround from my 5mt, I love Subaru engineering.

My thread: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2012-lgt-6mt-into-2005-lgt-5mt-287543.html

Scottydunno's thread where he installed a new WRX 6mt as well: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-wrx-6mt-into-05-09-legacy-ob-287486.html

Ok you have me sold on this split case 6MT swap. I would like the 2015-2022 WRX trans 6mt. Do you have a full list of what is needed?

Ok you have me sold on this split case 6MT swap. I would like the 2015-2022 WRX trans 6mt. Do you have a full list of what is needed?

If you have a 4.11 rear diff already (LGT, OBXT is 4.44 and would need a diff), then it's basically just two primary things.

6mt from 2015-2022 WRX

Shifter mechanism with cables

There might be a few little things that you need for completeness depending on what you get with the tranny.

I picked up the following just to be sure I had them and they were new.

Four bolts to bolt the shifter mechanism to the chassis, you *might* be able to reuse the existing bolts, but I'm pretty sure these were longer.

Part #901250083

Clamps to secure the shifter cables to the transmission

Part #35057TC000

Washer for the outside of the cable connection on the passenger side. Others have found/made washers that work, I wanted OEM for minimal issues.

Part #031208006

Cotter pin to go with the washer, can probably find one that works, but again, wanted OEM.

Part #35119AA010

If you have a 4.11 rear diff already (LGT, OBXT is 4.44 and would need a diff), then it's basically just two primary things.

6mt from 2015-2022 WRX

Shifter mechanism with cables

There might be a few little things that you need for completeness depending on what you get with the tranny.

I picked up the following just to be sure I had them and they were new.

Four bolts to bolt the shifter mechanism to the chassis, you *might* be able to reuse the existing bolts, but I'm pretty sure these were longer.

Part #901250083

Clamps to secure the shifter cables to the transmission

Part #35057TC000

Washer for the outside of the cable connection on the passenger side. Others have found/made washers that work, I wanted OEM for minimal issues.

Part #031208006

Cotter pin to go with the washer, can probably find one that works, but again, wanted OEM.

Part #35119AA010

Ok so I can get the Hook up on all the OEM subaru parts, I have found a few trans, and the shop that built my car has one already they are going to refresh and give me a pout the door cost. I will keep you all informed. :spin::eek:

Also, before you cut anything, you can also check how the fuel corrections behave while wiggling the wires close to the MAF while the engine is running. Take your phone/AP, and observe.

Hopefully get to this in the next few days. Thanks for the link to the harness.

Today, 1A shot up to +7 and within minutes oscillates between +5 and +7. No change to 1B (-14s), and 1C has gone to -4.5(ish). Ambient temps are 10°C, so about 10°C warmer than last week.

My post in the trans section is exactly this. I got everything from the dealer except the 4 bolts that bolt the shifter to the car. I just went over to the bolt drawers and grabbed what was needed.. LOL

My post in the trans section is exactly this. I got everything from the dealer except the 4 bolts that bolt the shifter to the car. I just went over to the bolt drawers and grabbed what was needed.. LOL

I found a 2018 trans from a WRX with about 1000 miles. the others are low also. Also Subaruonlineparts has great prices.

IMG_3564.thumb.jpg.a94cd4ec1d57d4ce5edc2a85bdd56270.jpg

I keep getting this thing ready to sell, and it keeps reminding me why I put all the pain into it in the first place.

Just buttoned up the interior from swapping the frankenstine modified 2008 radio with a 2009 HK one, using the speaker level outputs strait into the MS8 just like the OEM amp. Wish I'd done this years ago, it sounds amazing now :spin:

What's the going rate on these things right now anyway? I'm seeing from $1500 to $12K :confused:

Edited by utc_pyro

[ATTACH]295547[/ATTACH]

I keep getting this thing ready to sale, and it keeps reminding me why I put all the pain into it in the first place.

Just buttoned up the interior from swapping the frankenstine modified 2008 radio with a 2009 HK one, using the speaker level outputs strait into the MS8 just like the OEM amp. Wish I'd done this years ago, it sounds amazing now :spin:

What's the going rate on these things right now anyway? I'm seeing from $1500 to $12K :confused:

Don't sell it!

Don't sell it!

I'm moving and we have too many cars :spin:

Plus I can dump an entire storage unit that is mostly spare parts for the legacy if it goes. And the wife was mentioning ordering a Model Y for me to drive, and that would very much require this thing to be gone lol

I'm moving and we have too many cars :spin:

Plus I can dump an entire storage unit that is mostly spare parts for the legacy if it goes. And the wife was mentioning ordering a Model Y for me to drive, and that would very much require this thing to be gone lol

Check out a MachE 1st if you can find one!

Hopefully get to this in the next few days. Thanks for the link to the harness.

Today, 1A shot up to +7 and within minutes oscillates between +5 and +7. No change to 1B (-14s), and 1C has gone to -4.5(ish). Ambient temps are 10°C, so about 10°C warmer than last week.

I can't rule out an issue with the pins in the MAF connector, but watching both MAF voltage, and IAT, I don't see any signs of a poor connection. I was yanking on the MAF harness, MAF itself, main harness connector etc. so short of using a pair of pliers to try and yank individual wires out, it seems solid.

Rebuilt flowed injectors should be here early next week! wOOt