LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

That's correct. Bought these some time last year. Finally installed them. Not a lot of clearance btw, and can no longer open the hood to its 'max opening' if you know what I mean.

Will also install an additional set of SSC2 led pods for the rear. This will help with backing up in the middle of nowhere while trying to find a campground for instance.

:lol:. The list is not that long though to be fair. It is mostly to correct the crappy suspension this gen's outback is known for. Looks like the engine is stock except for the radiator and inlet hose, which are nice upgrades.

Changed a front left wheel bearing with an NTN one.

Also, put some fresh grease inside front left outer cv boot. (be aware with aftermarket cv axles. My experience is that they always put minimal amount of grease in these)

Installed diode dynamic SSC2 led pods at each corner of the hood. Need to post a pic.

Not too flashy pic. I like that these pods are not screaming 'hey look at me, I am a cool overlanding dude' :spin:. I am also planning to remove them when not in use. So easy to steal and they are $$$. Quick to install too.

IMG_20210526_202005.thumb.jpg.4041631cb705df93e0c48770e184c536.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Well no luck on finding a 3.0r reasonably, the hunt continues.

Did find a 08 abp, auto obxt, 147k for 7900. Tan leather interior...might go for a lookski

uh can i throw my hat in here? I'm prepping my '06 OBXT 5MT to sell. I have new KYBs all the way around on the way, freshly rebuilt VF41, lightly built forged piston motor, but other wise stock, lol. And I have a bunch of performance parts I could toss in the back for the right price.

Replaced turbo hose coolant return line with longer hose (99078AA450) to accommodate VF52. Been having a leak there since the swap.

Also replaced coolant hoses going to and from the heater core.

Replaced stock rad with koyo rad. Beautiful unit!

Will burp it today.

Can't wait to test it. Will be having 100F+ days this week :spin:

How is peice meal paint correction like that? I've thought about it but with no real access to washing the vehicle, it seems like I should either do it all at once or just pay someone.

Idk that the diy spray bays would be real happy with me clogging up the space to polish clay wax the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well bc I don't have any sort of covered port where I can control as many conditions as I can (heat, sun, wind, water), this isn't as proper of a job as I'd like. Especially since I'm finding trouble to minimize time between steps. I also haven't been able to dedicate an entire weekends worth of dedicated work to knock the entire car out, since masking and removing some panels takes even more time.

First, I wash the car entire car.

Then, I go back over and clay bar it using Griot's synthetic clay bar.

Then, I use Griot's G9 random orbital and a microfiber cutting pad, and apply [insert choice cutting compound here] to get deeper scratches/swirls/abrasions/clear coat defects. Wiping all excess compound off after a few passes.

Then, I use the G9 and a soft foam (black) pad, and apply [insert choice of polishing compound here] to get the finer scratches/swirls/abrasions/clear coat defects. Again, wiping all excess compound off after a few passes.

And I have yet to do this, but following my polishing compound, I will be waxing the car. I'm going to try Griot's 3-in-1 wax/ceramic/something else spray, but I aslo would like to test this nice run-on wax from Carnubas.

Because I've only been able to do a few panels here and there, I repeat these steps every single time before I take the G9 to my paint to maximize sanitary surfaces and minimize errors.

Hope this helped a little. Plenty of great blogs, videos, and forum posts to be found.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

The Subaru Detailing Facebook page is very useful. If you have questions lmk. The Rag Company is here in boise and I know the workers there quite well.

Even put on a massive B-grade box group buy a few years ago. Was pretty wild have 3000+ rags in my living room to sort and send out to everyone.

What are you preference (s) for compounds?

I personally use an AIO (all in one) for my daily vehicles. Angelwax Enigma is good for Subaru soft paint. I top it with 2coats of turtle wax ceramic spray. The griot's you mentioned is really good stuff too. Lithium Ceramic Slam is what I'm going to try next.

If going all out with a more true ceramic coating I can say the easiest I've used is Gyeon CanCoat or CarPro light.

The Subaru Detailing Facebook page is very useful. If you have questions lmk. The Rag Company is here in boise and I know the workers there quite well.

Even put on a massive B-grade box group buy a few years ago. Was pretty wild have 3000+ rags in my living room to sort and send out to everyone.

I personally use an AIO (all in one) for my daily vehicles. Angelwax Enigma is good for Subaru soft paint. I top it with 2coats of turtle wax ceramic spray. The griot's you mentioned is really good stuff too. Lithium Ceramic Slam is what I'm going to try next.

If going all out with a more true ceramic coating I can say the easiest I've used is Gyeon CanCoat or CarPro light.

I had my remote wash guy do his paint correction, polish, and "1 year" ceramic coat to my Evo and Alltrack. Both came out great and it's well past 1 year, the coating is holding up well, although both cars are garaged and lightly driven due to Covid. Like I said, I didn't apply it, but it's this Chemical Guys stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC23016-HydroCharge-Motorcycle/dp/B07PZ92KJ3

I also had him apply the ceramic coating to the outer surface of the Alltrack's Fifteen52 wheels, which I highly recommend.

Bonus story time!

A few months ago, I stupidly moved some spray paint cans into the garage real quick and closed the door. Two days later I drove my Alltrack out and *BOOM* drove over one. Paint splatter all over the garage floor, some on the wall, and oh crap! A few hundred specs on the right side off the Alltrack and RF wheel.

My wife heard the bomb go off and came right out. We spent the next 45 min flicking paint specs off the car (Quality time!). With the ceramic coating, it just flicked off with a finger nail, and we collected it with scotch tape (trial and error eventually landed on scotch tape). Then I spent another 30-60 min cleaning up the RF wheel. where again, the paint came right off. The inside of the LF wheel also got hit in the cross fire, but since the inside was not ceramic coated the spray paint did not come off. I tried to move fast, as I didn't want to find out how much more difficult it would be to remove once cured. Literal night and day difference between the ceramic coated surfaces and not.

Edited by rebourne

That's fantastic!

I will absolutely let you know! I have no experience with any other compounds than the ones I listed previously, so I have no frame of reference for just how good or bad they are.

I had my remote wash guy do his paint correction, polish, and "1 year" ceramic coat to my Evo and Alltrack. Both came out great and it's well past 1 year, the coating is holding up well, although both cars are garaged and lightly driven due to Covid. Like I said, I didn't apply it, but it's this Chemical Guys stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-WAC23016-HydroCharge-Motorcycle/dp/B07PZ92KJ3

I also had him apply the ceramic coating to the outer surface of the Alltrack's Fifteen52 wheels, which I highly recommend.

Bonus story time!

A few months ago, I stupidly moved some spray paint cans into the garage real quick and closed the door. Two days later I drove my Alltrack out and *BOOM* drove over one. Paint splatter all over the garage floor, some on the wall, and oh crap! A few hundred specs on the right side off the Alltrack and RF wheel.

My wife heard the bomb go off and came right out. We spent the next 45 min flicking paint specs off the car (Quality time!). With the ceramic coating, it just flicked off with a finger nail, and we collected it with scotch tape (trial and error eventually landed on scotch tape). Then I spent another 30-60 min cleaning up the RF wheel. where again, the paint came right off. The inside of the LF wheel also got hit in the cross fire, but since the inside was not ceramic coated the spray paint did not come off. I tried to move fast, as I didn't want to find out how much more difficult it would be to remove once cured. Literal night and day difference between the ceramic coated surfaces and not.

Amazing testament!

MILKRUN  - Click Here

With the ceramic coat I have enjoyed just rinsing the car off after on and off road driving. Just high pressure water then microfiber towels to dry. Nothing else needed. Never thought about how well it would prevent paint or other man made contaminants from taking hold. Good to know!

Ceramic coatings are pretty amazing in general. I will always use Gtechniq C5 on my exhaust and wheels when brand new. Suppperrrrr easy cleaning.

We do ceramic coatings on phones the past year or so. Holds up really well. I've had mine coated nearly 3yrs, only a few itty bitty scratches.

No big junkyard here. Small town kinna.

Also tried to get a couple of OEM used ones on ebay. Seller sent me stuff which did not even match the pics. Will get returned.

I think I may have reinstalled one of them improperly when I replaced a front left hub. Now, the outer axle cv joint part shows overheated marks and shakes pretty good under load. :iam: Getting another 'FEQ' brand axle to match the right side. They've been good actually. Will make sure it has proper amount of grease too.