LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Using Krylon Dual Superbond Black Flat. Going to try covering it with a Krylon ColorMaster Clear Satin. I'm crossing my fingers the two will work together. May do a test on the clear in a few more hours. My office smells like a paint booth. I'm not heating the entire house this year. Just a couple rooms at a time as needed.

After the first can of clear started spitting had to return it. :(

Second can is covering better but not great.

Will warm this one up a little more and see if it shoots better.

Going to wet sand to 1500, ace was out of 2000+.

Then more clear coats.

Haha, this is why I will just live with the two tone panel for now!

About time I tested the jdm grille. Badge slightly smaller than the other oem grille. the color on the JDM grille is actually really nice but it's hard to see it on the picture.

next i'll test those extensions which go at the bottom of the bumper to give it a sporty look like WRX USA. but one thing at a time :spin:

IMG_20190218_121201.thumb.jpg.c4832a6cd193213ca7156fcdd6ffe0a4.jpg

IMG_20190218_121505.thumb.jpg.426c41a6b9bffcbc8500278f9d1014a2.jpg

IMG_20190218_122452.thumb.jpg.d931134da574b3240a6c3692b5aabc21.jpg

Haha, this is why I will just live with the two tone panel for now!

Yeah, Kinda regretting it now. a bit of a pain in the ass in this temp.

Had had to re coat the ashtray again in black due to a pinhole size spec of silver peeking at me.

Cleared parts sand with 1500 nicely for another coat. Going to wait for the ashtray to gas out and coat all of the parts again in clear tomorrow afternoon.

Tonight it's solder the wire look together. Still need to run the mic cable and lube up the cam gears for the HVAC Flapper motors.

wife is currently driving my car. super anxious...

:lol:

My wife drove 'mine' (the lowered one with no facelift) and I was a bit like you..

Funny thing is that my car is louder, harsh suspension (bilstein HD with pinks) but she prefers it (obviously).

About time I tested the jdm grille. Badge slightly smaller than the other oem grille. the color on the JDM grille is actually really nice but it's hard to see it on the picture.

next i'll test those extensions which go at the bottom of the bumper to give it a sporty look like WRX USA. but one thing at a time :spin:

That looks pretty nice! Is that a direct swap on USDM XTs?

I have a JDM grill on my bugeye and I love it.

Is it a direct swap "yes"

You just have to spend $800 to make it so :D

Note: for anyone else

05-06s are a different front end than 08-09.

Very few items are a direct swap for the later model years, you will have better luck with the 05-06s.

Anything JDM usually requires everything JDM

I have no idea what's happening with 07s.

and for Bonbon - old grill is stupid new grill looks amazing.

Edited by Rhitter

Is it a direct swap "yes"

You just have to spend $800 to make it so :D

Or if you get super super lucky where the seller is 20mn away from you, sells a front end that is not all that scratched up, almost color matched already, and you don't need the hood, ~450$ and it is yours! At least, that's what happened to me with this awesome seller.

Each time I look at it, I still can't believe I paid so little for it. The freakin center diff I had to buy a year ago was more than that :mad:.

and for Bonbon - old grill is stupid new grill looks amazing.

thanks man. Old grill is not thaaaat stupid. but yeah, looks like the new one is here to stay.

Noticed the 06 oil light stays on too long to my liking right after a cold startup, especially when the car has been sitting for several days. Three times now, it did that, where it stays on for 1-1.5 sec, then turned off, then flickered another half a sec. I do not like that at all.

Car now parked. Ordered Moroso oil pick up tube. Will drop oil pan and replace oem tube. Also bought an oil pressure sending unit so I can monitor the oil pressure on that car. I do not worry about the 05 since it has a killer-b since 2013.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Yeah. 5-7 years ago, there were a few threads I was following on this forum, where guys had their oil pick up tube with hairline cracks, causing these kinds of behavior. Even if it is not cracked, it will be good insurance. I am just not looking forward to removing the pan though.

No pics (i am terrible with this camera thing) but last Friday I replaced my torn up front control arms and bushings with mevotek arms, whiteline f&r bushes &moog balljoints and what a world of difference! Reduced NVH over the old gear and vastly improved road feel. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Experienced some heavy vibrations under load starting a few days ago. The whole wagon shakes like crazy. I thought it might be a motor mount, pitch stop, internal engine issue...

So I got a new jack today (got sick of my dinky one I've been using for years) and jacked up the wagon and set it on jack stands and rolled under there to take a look.

Looks like the carrier bearing housing is shot to hell. At least it's an easy fix.

Tyring to decide between a new OEM propeller shaft assembly for $531 or go with the Dorman. The Dorman has Zerk fittings and is $392 on Amazon. Probably gonna go with the Dorman. It has a limited warranty.

And I have a huge pile of new parts to go on the XT when I get some time. Rallitek 1.4" rear springs w/spacers, Rallitek 1" front springs, KYB GR2s, KYB strut mounts, new brake rotors, and Stop Tech Street pads. And the new DD HU and JDM HVAC controls, lol.

The brakes on the XT suck right now. Fluid is brown and gross, pedal feel is atrocious, front rotors are all grooved. Thought about switching to LGT calipers or 4 pots, but I'll see how I like the stock brakes with good pads and new brake fluid first.

EDIT: Decided against the Doorman and bought a new OEM assembly. Should be here March 1st.

Edited by monkeyposeur

Have you considered going with a one piece replacement instead of OEM?

I’m not sure what transmission you have but this is the price range. http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import-driveshafts/subaru/2005-subaru-legacy-2-5-gt-1-piece-aluminum-driveshaft-5-speed-automatic-only

They also have carbon fiber for about twice the price.

The 1-piece driveshaft for the 2005 Legacy 2.5 GT is a complete 6061-T6 3" aluminum shaft that is approximately 1/2 the weight of the factory 2-piece driveshaft. The 1-piece aluminum shaft features larger, replaceable u-joints and can handle about 650WHP and 155 MPH. By removing the factory 2-piece shaft and installing a single shaft the car will feel more responsive due to the lighter weight of the shaft and also the fact that the hanger bearing is not moving up and down during acceleration. Available for most popular motor/trans combinations, if you don’t see yours listed, custom shafts are also available.