LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

7 hours ago, kzr750r1 said:

Alignment check up tomorrow afternoon. Going to test some more for rub tonight and confirm no spacers needed. Lock to lock no issue only seen some possible rub under compression on the rear inner fender that I may live with for now.

It's tight! But looks like this combo will worK as I've hoped. :)

Please post plenty of pictures when finished?

• Thanks 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Was going to take some sunset shots yesterday evening. My plans changed with the weather and road closures. Tumble weeds were blowing all over the canyon and started raining heavy just before sunset. So I just hung out at a friends and enjoyed the evening.

More soon.

image.thumb.jpeg.292743427bef4ab1ea67f292fff05783.jpeg

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

While replacing 4qt of ATF, Trans filter and four of the six hoses the Tans shop buchard with worm gear clamps found another mistake they made.

Aside from the WIX filter for the ATF loop. :(

I'm seeing a paper gasket for the trans pan where I don't see one mentioned in the manuals. We have some seepage happening.

Only Three Bond 1217B mentioned. In addition there are three holes that must be filled. These are inline with the bolt holes.

So I can only guess the shop used an aftermarket gasket kit.

Clearly right stuff used to stuff the trans to the diff. Huge amount of squeeze out on the outside. Likely the same on the inside. So... getting time of the 1217B from the stealership soon and some more ATF to drop this pan and stick this puppy back on by the book.

Also have an alternate fuel regulator setup installed. Seems to have made a difference. A bit smoother but time will tell.

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was bored and the weather was nice so I decided to install my jdm suspension with sti pinks. Hoping in the next week or so to swap all the control arms to the spec b stuff and hotchkis sway bars

IMG_4025.jpeg

• Like 5

Did the first step to the paint correction. When I got the car the the original owner either never washed it or used very hard water and never dried it so the water spots and stains on the paint drove me crazy.

IMG_3408.jpeg

IMG_4032.jpeg

IMG_3398.jpeg

IMG_4031.jpeg

• Like 4

Had a weird happenstance Saturday.

Was at the Berkeley UC campus with my daughter.

While moving the car to another parking spot the PS pump locked up.

By the time I could pull over in the next 50' the vbelt was smoking!

Come to find a stray bolt I had not placed back on the cover bracket worked its way behind the pump pulley. It lodge itself between the pulley and the housing. Locking up the SP.

Took a few min to sort out what I could do. Didn't have the tools 3mm allen to pull the cover. But I was able to remove the snorkus and get my paws in there. Pulley was not budging without some pressure.

Finally took the lug wrench out of the trunk and used it to force the bolt loose with a couple of palm whacks.

Fished out the bolt with the spare screwdriver and yakama allen tool.

Two lessons learned.

1) get some more tools in the car for emergency.

2) dont assume the HW is MIA until confirmed MIA.

Work performed needing to take it off was weeks ago. Never figured it would have been there still. Had already replaced it with another unit. Happy this happened to me and not my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

So the other day in the rain , it felt like the rear of the car was on ice. So I jacked it up and found the upper lateral link was only on because of the bolt. So gave me an excuse to finally install the white line kit and sway bar while I was there. 
(if anything is in the wrong orientation please let me know being I just went for it )

IMG_4105.heic

Saturday I put an STI exhaust on my car.   When I removed the passenger outback muffler, the drivers side snapped off at the Y.... exposing a lot of muffler hair.

Needless to say,  the car is much happier not being choked on its exhaust and it no longer sounds like a screaming banshee.   I also replaced the VF52 two weeks ago.  Still hunting for a tuner to help out as I'm still running with the wastegate duty cycle zero'ed out.   I've been reading a lot about tuning etc and might take a whack at it myself.   Learning how to keep things ultra conservative for now. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 5:29 PM, Turbomister2 said:

So the other day in the rain , it felt like the rear of the car was on ice. So I jacked it up and found the upper lateral link was only on because of the bolt. So gave me an excuse to finally install the white line kit and sway bar while I was there. 
(if anything is in the wrong orientation please let me know being I just went for it )

IMG_4099.MOV

IMG_4105.heic 499.15 kB · 0 downloads

The forum does not like the iphone "live" photo/videos. Just learned this.

Try taking a still and uploading a .jpg file instead.

@Turbomister2 your car looks beautiful! It's a great color too, though I am biased. 

If you haven't already take the wheel off and check the upper control arm for play. Take a picture of the suspension connections from the wheel well with that wheel off too, and post it.

@jonnyt88 which STi exhaust did you install? Pics?

• Thanks 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

On 4/24/2024 at 2:05 AM, Febreze Mee said:

@Turbomister2 your car looks beautiful! It's a great color too, though I am biased. 

If you haven't already take the wheel off and check the upper control arm for play. Take a picture of the suspension connections from the wheel well with that wheel off too, and post it.

@jonnyt88 which STi exhaust did you install? Pics?

The standard STi exhaust.  I think from a 2020.   Happy to see it had no issues with my hitch either.  I haven't gotten the hangers moved / tips adjusted yet.. I'll snag some pictures in a bit

• Like 1

Please do share, once finished. I'm personally not a fan of quad tips on our cars, but I'm always curious how the aesthetic turn out, from the owners who put the STi mufflers on. I'm open to changing my mind too 😉

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I did take pics over the weekend but never posted them.   I don't find the drone all that bad,  though I have heard that the WRX exhaust doesn't have a muffler in the mid-pipe which causes more drone. 

I'm not a huge fan of the looks of the tips either, but for $100 vs $750+ for a new outback exhaust,  I won't complain.  Since this is Central NY, any take-off exhausts from these cars are crumbling to bits.

I was going to ask around the community and see if there is a noob to welding looking to practice and make a few bucks.  Since its all hidden, looks aren't too important.    Plan.B is to buy a case of beer and throw few bucks at skilled welder to coach me to do it.   

Strangely I forgot how much fun Subarus can be to drive around.  Not as fun as the MR2, but the MR2 you need to active dodge road craters.  Not as comfy or economical as the A8L,  but the A8L is like steering a full size pickup. 

I was going to button it up and sell it, but now that its buttoned up, I kinda don't want to.   I only have $3750 into this and its gonna be hard to find another work pig I still enjoy to drive for that much.

I am testing driving a 6MT outback today after work........

20240425_131812.jpg

20240425_131821.jpg

Edited by jonnyt88
Posted Pic from phone - text from PC
  • Like 1

In December, before parking my car till yesterday, I had noticed a very little bit of oil consumption. And then I came down on a misfire in cylinder 4. The day before I left it, I saw the spark plug boot was not seated all the way, and began a sigh of relief when removing it to reinstall it. That sigh of relief vanished as soon as oil came out with the boot, only to find the entire spark plug tube was filled to the top with oil. My spark plug was torqued appropriately. Right then and there, I removed my plug and inspected it. It was oil coated, but otherwise fine. I wiped it, reinstalled, and kicked this problem to the future for when I could pay more attention to it. 

During the last couple months I thought the spark plug tube might have had a knick in it, and it possibly wore through the spark plug tube gasket. Today, I removed the driver side valve cover in order to replace that gasket, but upon inspection I learned there is a metal collar that wouldn't have been affected my the minuscule knick that I did find. Replaced the seal and buttoned the car back up. Guess we'll see what happens.  

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Posted (edited)

Didn’t take any pictures but installed my spec b aluminum front control arms, cusco sway bar, new sway bar links, sway bar bushings, ball joints and Cusco brace. Got an alignment and enjoyed the most comfortable non clunky ride I’ve had in the car since I got it.

now I get to have the fun of trying to figure out and solve the oil leaks starting with valve cover gaskets, turbo return hose, pcv and I’ll probably swap all the turbo feed lines out with the iag braided set up and if that doesn’t clean it up probably get a new clutch kit and pull the motor and do the rear main seal 

Edited by Turbomister2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Turbomister2 said:

Didn’t take any pictures but installed my spec b aluminum front control arms, cusco sway bar, new sway bar links, sway bar bushings, ball joints and Cusco brace. Got an alignment and enjoyed the most comfortable non clunky ride I’ve had in the car since I got it.

now I get to have the fun of trying to figure out and solve the oil leaks starting with valve cover gaskets, turbo return hose, pcv and I’ll probably swap all the turbo feed lines out with the iag braided set up and if that doesn’t clean it up probably get a new clutch kit and pull the motor and do the rear main seal 

How good is having a ride that doesn’t clunk or make noise! Hah! Enjoy!

UV dye is really cheap and may help you narrow down what the problem is?

Tho aside from the rear main seal, non of those jobs are terribly difficult and are replacing regular wear items anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

How good is having a ride that doesn’t clunk or make noise! Hah! Enjoy!

UV dye is really cheap and may help you narrow down what the problem is?

Tho aside from the rear main seal, non of those jobs are terribly difficult and are replacing regular wear items anyway.

Yeah I was thinking of putting some dye because the back is a mess. Yeah I figure a day worth of work and change everything for piece of mind. Car has 150k and the original owner was no longer around for service records so when I bought the car it was like asking questions to the clouds because they  would just respond with “not sure or idk anything besides what’s on the car fax maintenance “

On 5/4/2024 at 8:14 AM, Turbomister2 said:

Sounds like you had a productive day. I, too, need to replace my warn out ball joints, and endlinks. 

Today, I plugged in my shock sensor. No more alarm going off 30secs after locking & arming the car. I also changed my oil, and took a sample. After, I removed my Blizzaks and put my Prodrives on. I'm hoping to drop the RPF1s off this week for repair and respray in Kingston Grey powdercoat —round two. And re-wrap them in their fourth set of PS4Ss. 
A8D4D57B-3CC4-4805-84C5-29CCD955371D.thumb.jpeg.2cdee9b60de06b0688e0cf0f4921f2a0.jpeg

6BB9A1D8-08BE-404B-8FA9-B43B6CA2707B.thumb.jpeg.77a116a6f394db344827170830330cdd.jpeg

Tomorrow I'm planning on putting on the Prosport dead pedal and the DAMD wheel. I feel last to the updated interior party. 

D6E07F09-A470-4076-868A-953BE900B16C.thumb.jpeg.6cc56078bbf7983baadd708e7aefe448.jpeg

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Posted (edited)

I have a GT Spec steering wheel and I love the feel of it... Plus its a bit smaller than the OEM wheel... a nice pair with the STi rack.   I've had these wheels sitting my basement since last summer as the car has been quite the project... I tossed them on.  They have 235/45/18 tires on them (3x different types 🙄) but they were $200 and the wheels are round..  18x8.75...

Debating between 235/50/18,  255/45/18, which will likely make the speedo accurate to GPS or the Matching OEM size of 245/45/18.

Also undecided if I want to eventually get her to legacy height, lower than legacy, or the current jacked up legacy height.   I

20240505_214352.jpg

20240505_212811.jpg

PS - Excuse the mess.

Edited by jonnyt88
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Febreze Mee said:

What exactly is the GT Spec steering wheel? And what's good with that purple RPF1?

I need to flush my STi rack and replace inner tie rods. 

GT Spec Is like a knock of of DAMD wheel.   Very similiar, a lot cheaper.  Its a smaller diameter, flat bottom, but retains the OEM airbag + buttons.  I'll snag a pic.

RPF1 belongs on the MR2.   Took the rear knuckle off to get a bearing pressed in.  Hopefully having it buttoned up this weekend. 

• Thanks 1

Boring stuff I did:

- replaced the driver side JDM headlight parking light bulb

- replaced my Kartboy battery tie down

- removed my oil cooler block-off plate, and replaced Subaru oval emblem back onto my mesh grille

- replaced said mesh grille

- drained oil catch can; only 1/4 full after 15K miles

Fun stuff I did:

- swapped to the DAMD steering wheel

- added the Prosport dead pedal. Interior is coming together

- washed the car for the first time in 6 months

- washed the engine bay

- purchased my long desired Recaro Pole Position Classic, and seat hardware

- dropped off my RPF1s for straightening and powder-coating

- went to Griot's for pads for my orbital

- picked up @rhino6303's spare 5spd from storage, TOB retainer clips from the dealer, and my axle seals, and fluids

47E4F32B-123F-4A2F-8F34-017BF828CAC8.thumb.jpeg.a0d0214e2d42efcf14ab8b610f74d7ed.jpeg

EF021870-70C5-40B9-80DE-04DF67BF0403.thumb.jpeg.c1209b0a6f0e0b981349673f905dda39.jpeg

5179234C-EB0A-4846-A636-7D2A3C18F50B.thumb.jpeg.19839566c354de9038eeab0e40f2a280.jpeg

9EEEC609-F6DF-4113-98C8-610D2BEF5BDF.thumb.jpeg.15a9e3830dca0102377cef257d55fa44.jpeg

65F46DE4-BAD4-4F97-ABD6-C85461E212B2.thumb.jpeg.96678e7d40d93d8832e4a2682f9d7813.jpeg

F9404285-DAE4-438A-8D75-ED6F885F67F9.thumb.jpeg.752610402c7e54ae0e36d9157a0f225d.jpeg

• Like 2

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Posted (edited)

Cloudy headlights.   The Passenger side is all broken and shit on the sides.   I'm thinking its time to just replace them.  Amazon has a blackened set for $200.. Might be easier than getting a junk yard set and baking/painting them.  I haven't checked Ebay.  If anyone has purchased any black sets, share them up!

Also, can anyone eyeball if this front strut is a Legacy or Outback?  Any part numbers are corroded off.   Tires are 235/45/18, so I would expect an outback to have a little more clearance from the spring perch, but maybe not.  I had legacy struts + outback springs in the car when I sold it years ago but it seems to sit higher than I remember....  Maybe because the ass end is shot and saggy?

Trying to decide if I want to go LGT springs or stick with the OB springs next time around.   I loved this with the Legacy Struts + HR Springs, but I already have 2x low cars, so I'm trying to be realistic.     

IMG-20240514-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240514-WA0004.jpg

20240514_212035.jpg

Edited by jonnyt88
  • Like 1