LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

On 5/16/2024 at 9:50 AM, jonnyt88 said:

Cloudy headlights.   The Passenger side is all broken and shit on the sides.   I'm thinking its time to just replace them.  Amazon has a blackened set for $200.. Might be easier than getting a junk yard set and baking/painting them.  I haven't checked Ebay.  If anyone has purchased any black sets, share them up!

Also, can anyone eyeball if this front strut is a Legacy or Outback?  Any part numbers are corroded off.   Tires are 235/45/18, so I would expect an outback to have a little more clearance from the spring perch, but maybe not.  I had legacy struts + outback springs in the car when I sold it years ago but it seems to sit higher than I remember....  Maybe because the ass end is shot and saggy?

Trying to decide if I want to go LGT springs or stick with the OB springs next time around.   I loved this with the Legacy Struts + HR Springs, but I already have 2x low cars, so I'm trying to be realistic.     

IMG-20240514-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240514-WA0004.jpg

20240514_212035.jpg

I ordered a set of headlights for mine for like 210 shipped from carparts.com

On 5/16/2024 at 9:50 AM, jonnyt88 said:

Cloudy headlights.   The Passenger side is all broken and shit on the sides.   I'm thinking its time to just replace them.  Amazon has a blackened set for $200.. Might be easier than getting a junk yard set and baking/painting them.  I haven't checked Ebay.  If anyone has purchased any black sets, share them up!

Seen any of the acetone vapor repair videos? If I hadn't already sanded back my spare set to clear coat, I would probably be going that route + a ceramic coating to protect them.

You can DIY, but the little heated pots are pretty cheap online as well....

• Thanks 1

One of mine is cracked on thr did and I got crap for it at inspection...

Then it cracked more.  I think I just need to get a different set.  $200 for a new set probably will best the $50plus labor to fetch one from the scrap yard which likely will be cloudy too

Thanks for pointing out the headlights on Amazon.  My Morimoto converted units are faded again, and one has a cracked corner.  I can probably replace the whole Morimoto shebang with those Amazon lights, and sell the Morimoto setup for about even.  That's if people even still want these HID setups.

3 hours ago, rebourne said:

Quite the dream garage there!  Is that a 2 door E30 M3 Wagon?

Yes, yes it is! It's there Demo car, and carries all of their products when they take it to shows they aren't hosting themselves. 

• Like 1

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Posted (edited)

Another Oil change this weekend and some issues with the rear hatch diagnosed.

Daughter followed me thru an Oil change. While in there checked the DP hasn't gotten loose.

Beforehand had to check why the rear hatch would not latch the night before.

Turned out the mechanism has some rubber bits in there that began to disintegrate and lock up the latch.

Took a bit to remove the needed covers and latch. Needed to use some picks to clear out the garbage.

Replacement unit at the stealership now waiting for me to pick it up. Left the cover off for now until done for less risk of breaking a mount tab.

Clear coat is flaking on several plastic body panels and the roof where it was repaired (years ago) is looking faded. Time for some paint repairs in the near future.

Edited by kzr750r1
  • Like 1

My worn rear struts did not like the the jetski yesterday...   Might looking into a Straight LGT setup in the front and LGT struts+Outback springs in the rear. 

I've read the Spec.B front setup + Outback springs in SpecB struts match nicely and the rear springs help if you add extra load.  However a specB setup looks to be about $1000+ where as I can get KYB LGT Struts and new front top hats for $400ish

• Like 1

Dropped the car off to a local wrench today.

Needed the AC looked at and I'm not equipped to evac/dye/check for leaks. Knowing enough about charging ac it's best not to just slap a bottle on and over charge it willy nilly.

Also handed them the control arms they pressed in new bushings into back on 2023. Using the GroupN or WRX main and a LGT pivot bushing. Also new ball joints.

Looks like I'll be on the road most of June. So the car needs to be solid for the girl while I'm out.

• Like 1

Suspect the Compressor may be on it's way out.

No leaks with vac test. Charged and die added. Well see if it holds.

Sitting at Firestone waiting it's turn on the alignment rack now. Glad I paid the lifetime alignment charge years ago.

You people and your fancy OB adventures!!!   I moved my from the garage to the driveway since I got my daily back. 

and the MR2 is officially inspected and has rear tires that are no longer balder than me, so I dont hesitate driving it when a little wet outside. 

The outback did get different tires.  The old ones were all kinds of rotting/cracked/worn weird and did cause the vibrations while driving.  She is smoother now.  I even shoved 225/60/17 snow tires on the stock rims, but needed small spacers to clear the front legacy strut tops.  Speedo is 100% accurate now!! and no rubbing!

Next up - rear struts!  One of the top mount bolts is spinning with the nut so that might suck to remove. Hoping I can grab the top with vice grips enough to get the nut loose.

• Like 1

Dropped off my OB at AQ to rebuild the right front axle and a clunk check for the right front.  Turned out the left axle was going too, so both rebuilt.  Both front sway bar bushings and end links replaced.

Nice and tight up front now.

The "getting her ready to sell" list is getting shorter:

• Alignment
  • Smog
  • Something like the Turkery Lord T mod for the 2k-3k surging?
  • Replace the Morimoto HIDs with Amazon headlights (buy)
  • Anything I can do about the sticky dash?
  • oil change
  • detail, remove the trashed clear bra

eesh.  That's gonna take awhile.

Posted (edited)

Only way to fix the sticky dash is to replace it with another one. That's what I am going to do (been saying that for 5 years :rolleyes:).

Edited by xt2005bonbon
  • Haha 1