LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

do you ever just look at your car and think "god damn you're gorgeous"?

i work in a quarry, so it gets uh...dirty...quite quickly. i just washed and half ass waxed it this afternoon, and now it's just sitting in front of the house. I keep looking at it and just absolutely love how these cars look. it's not the boldest styling, but it's got a great profile, the lines are just wonderful on it, and the whole package just looks great, even bone stock. maybe it's because a friend is trading in his car and i'm just thinking back to when i bought it and how much i loved this car, but jeez i love this car.

Drove a Mazda 6 all last week as a rental.. terrible throttle response, bad window angles/views and laggy suspension and had me missing my subies. But hot damn... why cant Subaru get their interior right!?

I have my flights booked. Starting in Denver and ending in Seattle. 14 days, 44 hours worth of driving. Confirmed points of interest; Denver Water rafting, Zion park, Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, Vegas, Yosemite, Sanfran, Portland hikes, Seattle, Boeing tour facility. My itinerary is still very loose, so I should have time to see other detours. I'll be seeing friends along the way, but for the most part, this is a solo trip.

You should drive out to Estes Park near Denver. Take the gondola ride.

Depending on your drive you could drive through Park City UT. One thing I would highly highly highly suggest is to not take highway 84 from Boise to Kennewick and then up 82 to 90. I'd start to head straight north of Boise through highway 55. It's two lanes of course, will take you pretty far north to Coeur d'alene then cut west through Spokane over to Seattle. Yes it is longer but a gorgeous drive. Coming out to Idaho you may want to see the Craters of the Moon(you won't see anything else ever like it) and Shoshone Falls. The falls are bigger than Niagara.

Depending on your drive you could drive through Park City UT. One thing I would highly highly highly suggest is to not take highway 84 from Boise to Kennewick and then up 82 to 90. I'd start to head straight north of Boise through highway 55. It's two lanes of course, will take you pretty far north to Coeur d'alene then cut west through Spokane over to Seattle. Yes it is longer but a gorgeous drive. Coming out to Idaho you may want to see the Craters of the Moon(you won't see anything else ever like it) and Shoshone Falls. The falls are bigger than Niagara.

My trip's route heads southwest from Denver (to Vegas) before riding up the coastal states, so I wont be able to catch any of those attractions other than Estes Park (which I might do because river water levels are iffy for rafting and they might cancel it). Those other places sounds sweet though, I'll def keep in mind for another trip. America is huge lol.

I second traveling through Spokane. I've been there 3 times now and it is a great city/area. If possible, check out Mount St. Helens.

I second traveling through Spokane. I've been there 3 times now and it is a great city/area. If possible, check out Mount St. Helens.

I can confirm on Mount Saint Helens. The view at Cold Water lake and Spirit lake is breath taking. I'm planing to go back once my son is older.

Edited by amusa

I can confirm on Mount Saint Helens. The view at Cold Water lake and Spirit lake is breath taking. I'm planing to go back once my son is older.

The pictures we took there don't do it justice, the destruction was massive.

Just finished my/our adventure with my GF this past week. Went to LA then drove all up the 101 and 1 to SanFran. Gorgeous stretch of highway!

Got back home Tues night and then yesterday I drove to Salem,OR picked up some goodies and up to Portland. Then today Portland to Port Orchard (Seattle area) and back to Boise. About little over 1000 miles, no big deal to me though, well worth it. I'll post pics of what I got once I unload tomorrow.

The pictures we took there don't do it justice, the destruction was massive.

Happen to come across a picture that I took from my Iphone. Did not bother to travel with my DSLR on that trip. This trip was a last minute. I was asked by my mother to go fly to Oregon to check up on my older sister (I used to fly for free at that time on standby).

There was also another view from a restaurant that we ate at. Outdoor seating and a perfect view of the Volcano. I have to ask my sister because I don't remember the location of it.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.c50bbdb669c0d8f6f4cede2957f7ab67.jpg

Edited by amusa

I saw a DGM 5th Gen GT with a rear trunk spoiler while driving home last night. I noticed the 5th Gen in my rear view mirror and it neared, I noticed the hood scoop. The hood scoop really blended well with that color and it wasn't noticeable until car was pretty close. I was taking right into a gas station and I gave a thumbs up but I was in my Outback. I normally would have been driving my GT on nice day like yesterday, but I hit the oil change interval and decided to not drive my GT yesterday.

Today I am going to start my maintenance on my GT. I need to do the change the oil and while I am doing that I going to add the missing gasket to my timing belt cover, replaced my PCV valve, grease the starter, install clutch damper delete, and bleed the brakes. I will probably take a couple day to do this. (I am not going to kill myself trying to get this completed). It nice to have another car to drive while one is under repair.

Is there a favorite hitch receiver lock anyone would recommend. Apparently many of the popular brands are also just name recognition junk.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Depends on how much you want to tow. I plan on getting the Ecohitch, but I just want it for a bike rack, so not much strength needed for me.

Towards the end of the first page...

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/hitch-2013-legacy-210110.html?t=210110&highlight=ecohitch

Edit: Nevermind, I re read and realized you were asking about the lock and not the hitch.

Wife is out of town for the week, so the GT gets to stay in it's stable nice and safe. We only have the Crosstrek for 3 more months max before it's turned back in and there is still 5k miles left on the lease. Need to burn them up :)

I hope I'm all up for it this Saturday to tackle the Driver window motor regulator.

I just had Dental Surgery last Friday and this Friday I'm getting the stitches pulled out.

I was talking with some co-workers one of whose silverado killed a torque converter this past weekend, of all things, by inadvertently running it in 4-hi on the highway. Lol, I just couldn't fathom how using 4wd could actually overheat the TC. Makes me uneasy about buying a chevy truck for towing, and a little proud of Subaru for figuring out how to make an awd system that can take high speeds with ease at such a low price point.

I was talking with some co-workers one of whose silverado killed a torque converter this past weekend, of all things, by inadvertently running it in 4-hi on the highway. Lol, I just couldn't fathom how using 4wd could actually overheat the TC. Makes me uneasy about buying a chevy truck for towing, and a little proud of Subaru for figuring out how to make an awd system that can take high speeds with ease at such a low price point.

... that is a head scratcher, my parents had a transfer case in their suburban destroyed from being driven in "AUTO" instead of 2HI which is apparently pretty common with these when they get used on roads that aren't actually slippery.... maybe is doesn't lock the converter in 4WD and the massive amount of drag from the system being oversped, i think our's is rated up to 50 MPH, meant lots of differential between the input and output speeds. i wouldn't be worried about having a chevy truck for towing as our 2500 has served us extremely well and I've never had trans temp issues even towing through mountain passes, but always run it in 2HI.

4 HI is not meant for dry pavement. In a standard transfer case, there is no slip front to rear like in full time 4wd or the Subaru AWD. The slip front to rear is basically the ground you are on. That's why rock crawling is so hard on a 4wd drivetrain. Something is going to give.

4 HI is not meant for dry pavement. In a standard transfer case, there is no slip front to rear like in full time 4wd or the Subaru AWD. The slip front to rear is basically the ground you are on. That's why rock crawling is so hard on a 4wd drivetrain. Something is going to give.

I get the locked center section, I had an old dodge w250, it would bind up the tires when turning in 4 hi on pavement. Which convinced me to fix the indicator light on the 4wd system. But causing the TC to burn up?? Something isn't right there, the transmission cooling system should be the least of your worries in a heavy duty truck, worn U-joints or half shafts or tires...understandable.

I guess they aren't built like they used to be, like most everything else.

TC - torque converter or transfer case? Is there any mistake in communication based on the fact that both use the same abbreviation?

Nope it was the torque converter, which apparently the 6l80 transmission has a few issues of its own regardless of the drive system. Transfer cases don't burn up, they break at least in the pickup truck category. There hasn't been an awd truck, with a center differential, in a few generations that I can remember.