LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

just rolled over 151k. it's getting to the point where everything on it is getting tired and will need to be replaced. i'll be picking up a second car, likely in about a year, to keep the miles off and give me time and ability to work on replacing everything, just a matter of jumping through some hoops to get that done.

Yah I hear you there. Wouldn't be bad to pick up a ricer like a Honda lol.

Yah I hear you there. Wouldn't be bad to pick up a ricer like a Honda lol.

ugh the dirty things i'd do for a good condition EP civic SI...but unfortunately yeah, probably going to be some Japanese shitbox that's slammed on the cheapest coilovers you can get, or maybe just cut springs because racecar, and has a pepboys fart cannon on the back. that should be more than reliable, right?

ugh the dirty things i'd do for a good condition EP civic SI...but unfortunately yeah, probably going to be some Japanese shitbox that's slammed on the cheapest coilovers you can get, or maybe just cut springs because racecar, and has a pepboys fart cannon on the back. that should be more than reliable, right?

Hahahaha yah they're usually beat up to say the least...

My daily got rolled into by a brodozer that didnt have it's handbrake set. Good guy though, owned up to it and we settled it amicably.

lx8kcaW.jpg

I dont want to use the Legacy while this is in the shop though, it's too low now. So my old trusty X5 got pulled from the back of the garage lol!

Wasnt running good, needed a new MAF and an ignition coil replaced, now she's ready to use while I get my daily fixed.

iR8ii4q.jpg

Edited by Scubaboo

I sold the mesh Outback grill to a member on the subaruoutback.org forum. Hope he likes it as much as I did. Now I'll be working on a new top and bottom grill for the GT with a fresh sheet of the perforated aluminum from customcargrills.com. And just like the Outback version, I'll be drawing these up in CAD also.

I sold the mesh Outback grill to a member on the subaruoutback.org forum. Hope he likes it as much as I did. Now I'll be working on a new top and bottom grill for the GT with a fresh sheet of the perforated aluminum from customcargrills.com. And just like the Outback version, I'll be drawing these up in CAD also.

I have been thinking about the grill mesh lately again.

Is the CAD file something that can be shared like a template? Or does it not work like that? If not, are you going to start making and selling them to our small community?:)

I have been thinking about the grill mesh lately again.

Is the CAD file something that can be shared like a template? Or does it not work like that? If not, are you going to start making and selling them to our small community?:)

The CAD file can be saved in a few different formats. Once I get the Legacy version finalized, I can share the file or if someone wants me to make them one, or a top and bottom set, I could probably do that as well.

These will basically be borderless like the Outback version.

new-grill-jpg.469809

Since I have a 3d printer, I'm going to try to come up with a better mounting system than zip-ties. However, zip-ties actually worked pretty good.

Well, my car is finally gone. The guy I sold it too seems really excited and into the 5th gen so I think he will be a good caretaker. Sad about it being gone, but happy about who got it. If anyone is wondering what my next plans are, they are a bit different. I am planning on building an sr20 and throwing it in an old roadster like a sunbeam alpine.

On a side note. I have a ton of stock parts that I will be going through and putting up for sale. Even if they don’t sell I will gladly ship stuff to people for the cost of shipping. I don’t want rare 5th gen parts to go to waste. If you are in need of something let me know. I probably have it.

Hit 2 years ownership today. Feels longer since I had the Outback for 3 1/2 years before. Been in this gen for 5 1/2 years technically.

I am at 2 year 4 months with my GT and I owned my prior 2012 Legacy for a little over 5 years, so by the middle of this month I will have 7 1/2 years in a 2012 5th Gen Legacy.

Well, my car is finally gone. The guy I sold it too seems really excited and into the 5th gen so I think he will be a good caretaker. Sad about it being gone, but happy about who got it. If anyone is wondering what my next plans are, they are a bit different. I am planning on building an sr20 and throwing it in an old roadster like a sunbeam alpine.

On a side note. I have a ton of stock parts that I will be going through and putting up for sale. Even if they don’t sell I will gladly ship stuff to people for the cost of shipping. I don’t want rare 5th gen parts to go to waste. If you are in need of something let me know. I probably have it.

I am glad you were able to sell it, I hope you got your asking price. Someone got a great deal on modified 5th Gen.

Classic euro car with japan power. I love it. Reminds me of this fiat I saw at the mecum auction this summer. Subaru powered of course. Just throwing that thought out there. Lol. 3371889cd148ae392cfcc740e8f36398.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The member on subaruoutback.org recieved the grill and mounted it temporarily last night. He still needs to spray the area behind the grill with flat black. Pretty cool to see something I made being enjoyed ;)

img_3430-jpg.471850

Are those as much of a maintenance nightmare as we hear?

2005 was the worst year on some of these MB. That's when they switch it from the 5-speed to the 7-speed automatic transmission. I was lucky when I picked mine up without researching. My 2004 CLK500 (M113 5.0L V8) was my most reliable vehicle ever.

The true AMG's are bullet proof except for certain year 63s due to the head bolt stretch issue and I think there was a recall. MB did came out with a new version of the head bolt (different part number). Maybe it was the material that was on the older head bolt's.

As long you know where to get MB parts and you know the right mechanics. There not that expensive and plus there not difficult to work on them either. Just need torx set and some time you need special tools.

Edited by amusa