LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

thanks guys--already planned to look at the clutch and make a decision once the engines out. no sway bar at this point, will do it eventually though once i get some money back and another spot that i can work on my car....good call on the coolant line, forgot about that guy. will have em take a look.

thanks guys

thanks guys--already planned to look at the clutch and make a decision once the engines out. no sway bar at this point, will do it eventually though once i get some money back and another spot that i can work on my car....good call on the coolant line, forgot about that guy. will have em take a look.

thanks guys

Just remember that there is a 2 day lead time on almost all of the 5th gen LGT OEM parts, at least that's what I found with my build.

dropping my car off to get head gaskets, front and rear main seals, and oil pan reseal done tomorrow while i'm on vacation next week. any recommendations on what else should be done while they're in there?

Mileage? Now would be a great time to do the timing belt and water pump service.

Spark plugs are easier while the engine is out too.

Engine/Trans supports?

Yeah stew, run into that a few times with this car. Scuba, got 25k on the timing belt and water pump at this point, might be leaving them the mechanic is inspecting when he gets everything out. Plugs are getting replaced even though they've only for 20k miles on because they're cheap. Machine shop is changing valve stem seals and lapping the valves and seats along with skimming the heads. Everything else besides front and rear seals and oil pan seals are on an inspection basis at this point. I have some suspension bits that I'm going to be installing at some point in the not so distant future myself(control arms, tie rods), and doing the shocks and struts some time next year when my car is paid off. She'll be sitting pretty in a bit and hope to keep her for another 150k miles

^gotcha, yeah, I dont think I'd be re-doing the timing belt so soon either.

Will you be doing significant tuning? You may want to put on STI exhaust cams and upgrade the valve springs to get full breathing capacity while the heads are apart?

^gotcha, yeah, I dont think I'd be re-doing the timing belt so soon either.

Will you be doing significant tuning? You may want to put on STI exhaust cams and upgrade the valve springs to get full breathing capacity while the heads are apart?

Nah i really don't. Plans for the car, once all the maintenance and suspension is done, really is just an exhaust and a mild tune. I want to keep it reliable, and my history with tuning cars past a very basic level has always been unreliable at best, broken basket cases at worst. It's my daily right now, bone stock, and I want to keep her for a long time, just with a bit more power, slightly stiffer suspension from the 13-14 leggys, and get it to how it should have been from the factory. And better seats. And paint work and PDR, because it's seen better days. Not in bad shape for an almost 10 year old car, but lots of highway miles means lots of little rock chips.

Edited by creep_nu

We are dropping off the Crosstrek tomorrow to ground the lease. Bittersweet, as it was a good car. It was our introduction to Eyesight (which saved us a few times).

The new Forester is quite a bit bigger.

IMG_0855.thumb.jpg.7c96221ad3a74e88a44e3db4abbccb59.jpg

Last weekend had a 18 limited sedan for a renyal for a good 600+miles through Wyoming and Colorado. Torquey enough through the mountains, along with the eyesight, it made for a great ride. Stereo too was legit. Now thoughts of an 18-19 are on my radar for the outback. I can't imagine the difference a 3.6r with a tune would be for some extra fun compared to my 3.0.

Glad my girlfriend was excited, I think she's coming around to why I love Subarus so much. Skipped the Impala and Altima as our other choices

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

3ef2b8800786ff3592261160f3a033d4.jpg

It was tough to see my girl up on the rack at the dealer today with her ass up in the air getting dismantled by a stranger for EPB recall. But it's done.

Gangbanged from behind by sweaty mechanics? I think I've seen that one :eek:

It's hard to see another man's tool on your lady!

This is one of those times of my life when having a truck would make 1000% of sense, getting tools and supplies ready to help my parents and in-laws get hurricane ready. I love my GT but I do wish for a bed and tailgate sometimes. I guess we do have the Ascent and a cargo carrier, so that's something. I have been eye balling some older dodge 2500s...I really want a megacab diesel with a 6mt and 4wd.

Speaking of brake fluid. Dealer did a flush today and put in DOT3. Really? They couldn’t spring for DOT4. Its practically the same exact price. Ugh. Hate taking my car there. I know more than most of their mechanics and every time I go they start asking me questions about stuff they didn’t know for other customers. I feel like sure I’ll be happy to help..... but DOT3 really that’s all you got? Haha.

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the forecast, and it seems like the odds of things getting that far west have been dropping pretty steadily. I can tolerate a little rain and wind- as long as I can make it from the hotel to the World of Beer across the parking lot, I'll survive.

I've been keeping a pretty close eye on the forecast, and it seems like the odds of things getting that far west have been dropping pretty steadily. I can tolerate a little rain and wind- as long as I can make it from the hotel to the World of Beer across the parking lot, I'll survive.

On one hand I am hoping that happens, on the other I went through the trouble of buying and putting up the hurricane shutters, lol. Better to be prepared. I think I will look into a solar panel system sooner rather than later.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, provided they hold on well enough to stand up to the winds. They're still more of a novelty up here (produce enough to pay for themselves, and offset your electrical bill if you're lucky), but we don't usually have hurricanes blowing through. The longest I've been without power in the ~1.5 years I've been in my house is about 24 hours, but that was long enough to get me looking at generators and transfer switches, and I'd have to imagine reliable backup power is a little higher priority for you than it is for me.

Speaking of brake fluid. Dealer did a flush today and put in DOT3. Really? They couldn’t spring for DOT4. Its practically the same exact price. Ugh. Hate taking my car there. I know more than most of their mechanics and every time I go they start asking me questions about stuff they didn’t know for other customers. I feel like sure I’ll be happy to help..... but DOT3 really that’s all you got? Haha.

Exactly. But at this point one would think that Subaru would be upgraded to DOT4 by now. I mean 5.1 yeah not expecting that but they make the STI they make the XT and are selling well so why not get with the program of many many other manufactures and get to at least 4