LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

It doesn’t seem lower but maybe it is. They looked fine when I installed them on the struts but I went to fine tune them this morning and thought they didn’t look right. So you think I should pull them off and replace them? If so with what? New OEM, KYB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we did it, we're buying a house guys! Ahhhhhhh. I'm probably gonna have mini-panic attacks for the first few months.

We settled for the one that I looked at a week ago because it has a good cost for the square footage. They're leaving all the appliances which are still pretty new. The only thing it appears to really need in the future is some new carpet and a bit of paint. And some trim work. Carpets probably 3 years old I'm guessing.

I've spent a few months looking at house after house, over and over again. Looking at things that would probably need done, things I wouldn't be able to stand on a daily basis. This felt like a good one. There was a ton of pluses to it. Included a gas heater in the garage.

I'm looking at push mowers. Anyone ever use one of these rechargeable electric ones? I didn't know this was a thing. I haven't had to push mow a yard in a few years :lol: It actually seems like they'd be more reliable. All I ever remember of pull start mowers is they last two years and the second year you spend 5 minutes trying to start them every single time.

are these the right studs for extension?....I'm having trouble finding the oem length vs extended.

https://tougetuning.com/shop/arp-extended-wheel-studs-most-subarus/

ARP Wheel Studs – heat-treated 8740 chrome moly, tensile strength of 200,000 psi, sold in 5 packs, cadmium plated for extra durability, nuts not included.

M12 x 1.25

SKU: 100-7716

I'm looking at push mowers. Anyone ever use one of these rechargeable electric ones? I didn't know this was a thing. I haven't had to push mow a yard in a few years :lol: It actually seems like they'd be more reliable. All I ever remember of pull start mowers is they last two years and the second year you spend 5 minutes trying to start them every single time.

I worked in a hardware store for a few years. We only ever sold 2 of the electric mowers while I was there. Neither of them came back, but I can't imagine the run time is very long, or that that run time can be sustained for a year plus.

My 2 cents: Go to a junkyard or find a free (gas) push power on craigslist. Scrap the original engine for a dollar or two, and buy a harbor freight engine. Some spray paint and $100 for an engine and blade later, you have a brand new mower (with sentimental value).

I've had two of the 6.5hp Predator engines for 3 years now and they start within the first 5 pulls every time.

My 2 cents: Go to a junkyard or find a free (gas) push power on craigslist. Scrap the original engine for a dollar or two, and buy a harbor freight engine. Some spray paint and $100 for an engine and blade later, you have a brand new mower (with sentimental value).

I got a free gas push lawn mower that the owner couldn't start. The primer bulb had a leak. 17 years later and it is still working. I change the oil and spark plug every few years and add gas.

I got a free gas push lawn mower that the owner couldn't start. The primer bulb had a leak. 17 years later and it is still working. I change the oil and spark plug every few years and add gas.

Same here (nowhere near 17 years though), just do regular maintenance and it will be fine.

Definitely look at the used market first. If you're willing and able to apply a little elbow grease, you can save a while bunch of money to put toward the inevitable unexpected stuff. $1000 for a new snowblower, or $50 for a used one, plus a belt, drive wheel, and a can of carb cleaner, can't beat that with a stick.

The fact that you're buying a house won't really sink in until you walk into the place after closing. Looking at all the digits before the decimal point on the bank check for your down payment will be a bit of a shock, but it won't fit register until you're there and it's actually yours.

Also, thoroughly jealous of the garage heater. Planning on putting one in this summer, not sure yet if I'm insulating the roof then as well.

Also, make sure you keep up with regular maintenance. If there are mature trees around, and it has a clay sewer drain, get it cleaned out.

We have been in our place for almost 10 years and the main drain started backing up. The plumber said it was one of the worst has has ever seen in his 30 years on the job. Took him 3 hours and broke 1 blade, but we are good now. He said we should get it cleaned out once a year.

Just an FYI.

I've had two of the 6.5hp Predator engines for 3 years now and they start within the first 5 pulls every time.

Sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure if these new electric ones we're more reliable than the gas ones. I did forget yeah, you can just swap an old harbor freight engine on, haha. That's pretty simple stuff.

The fact that you're buying a house won't really sink in until you walk into the place after closing. Looking at all the digits before the decimal point on the bank check for your down payment will be a bit of a shock, but it won't fit register until you're there and it's actually yours.

Also, thoroughly jealous of the garage heater. Planning on putting one in this summer, not sure yet if I'm insulating the roof then as well.

I couldn't believe they took our offer so quickly but they're moving to Michigan because of a job relocation and I'm sure they didn't want to be sitting around waiting months for the house to sell.

I saw the gas heater on the wall my first time through. I felt attached right away I think, haha.

They're leaving the work bench in the garage and a sandbox and wooden kids playset. We don't have any kids now and by the time ones old enough to use it, it'll probably be rotting apart so we'll probably sell it shortly after moving in. I'm not sure what we'll do with the sand box.

Also, make sure you keep up with regular maintenance. If there are mature trees around, and it has a clay sewer drain, get it cleaned out.

Never really thought about that. I can look into it. We have a larger tree thats about 30-40 ft from the house.

Random Thoughts on Interior Trim (or any car part, I suppose)

IMHO

Fake wood < Fake brushed metal < Fake carbon fiber < Matte black

I think I would probably pay up to ~$400 to replace all the fake brushed metal interior pieces with matte black pieces. I wrapped the shifter console piece in matte black years ago but can find the justification to do the other fake brushed metal pieces since the buttons, A/C controls, etc. are fake brushed metal, and I think the difference is glaring.

I actually really like the brushed silver trim pieces in my interior. Really offsets the black nicely imo. Although I do *loathe* most matte finish on pretty much anything lol, especially matte black. I'd have glossy everything if I had my way.

Sounds like a plan. I wasn't sure if these new electric ones we're more reliable than the gas ones.

I have an EGO 56v 21" push mower (from Home Depot). Its fantastic:

1. I had no gas yard tools already so this meant I don't have to store gas, oil, etc.

2. It is wayyyy lighter than gas mowers.

3. Its super quiet. No noise other than blade noise. You can use it on a Sunday morning without pissing off your neighbor (pro or con, you decide)

4. It can be stored sitting up on its end, dramatically reducing garage real-estate taken up when not in use.

5. No maintenance, though I recognize thats not that big of a deal

The battery charges in about 30 minutes and I can cut my 2500 sq ft of lawn easily on a charge, probably twice if its not real long.

We have a Ryobi electric weed whacker that works pretty well. I haven't had to use it since selling my house almost 3 years ago, so we're actually considering getting rid of it. I had a gas push mower, but got rid of that too before moving.

When we get around to buying another house, I'll be strongly considering electric yard tools.

Yard size is probably worth looking at, considering a quarter acre is about 11000 sq. ft. I'd have to imagine you can get versions with moar battery capacity, though.
Pfft....That's diesel Kabota mini tractor territory. With a loader and PTO to run a blower.

I can, with a straight face enable even the purchase of tractors, yo. What has this forum done to me?!

I have been kicking around the idea of an electric mower for a while, I have a ryobi 40v weedeater that kicked the bucket just before "winter" here. It still works but the battery doesn't hold the same charge as before and after trying a gas weedeater again with my attachments ( brush cutter, blower) I can confidently say it doesn't have nearly as much power. But then again the weedeater I bought from Lowes isn't all that great either. I miss my 32cc craftsman, best weedeater ever half throttle was plenty for most everything, full throttle could darn near till the ground with heavy duty string.