LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Finally some HT enabling I can help with...

If you want some really nice mid level equipment I run Klipsh speakers. They are great quality and sound. I have a hook up that discounts them very deep. Let me know if you would be interested. Also keep in mind that there are many DIY sub kits that you could build for a few $100 that blow away most any retail subs on the market (Klipsch, SVS etc.). I know how we like to build things ourselves, that's why we are on this forum.

Dude, that would great. What's your thought on routing cables in the living room? There's gonna be space behind the couch for the rear half of the living room so a cable for the rear right is gonna have to be in the middle of foot traffic. I thought maybe just find a rug to throw over it.

I'd be interested in a DIY sub at some point.

Home inspection went well. He had a lot of pluses. Some very minor stuff. Biggest one is probably the sump pump, recommended getting a battery backup asap. Foundation overall seems to be in good shape. Heater in garage isn't hooked up :( But it's spring so I have all year to get it working.

OK, just curious. I used to have an allowance, but that went away few years ago. Now I have to justify that the car "needs" a part.

Justification? Just get out your trusty "justification hammer"

Hun, turbo broke ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't know what happened. Lmao.

OK, just curious. I used to have an allowance, but that went away few years ago. Now I have to justify that the car "needs" a part.

No No No.

Reminds me of my X from Shanghai who started with, "Could you show me your account because some guys cheat on their wives and the wives look stupid because they dont have a clue."

Of course, I agreed because I was completely faithful and dedicated.

Fast forward a few years and the B!+€# had me on a $10 a week allowance.

Never...ever...again.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Dude, that would great. What's your thought on routing cables in the living room? There's gonna be space behind the couch for the rear half of the living room so a cable for the rear right is gonna have to be in the middle of foot traffic. I thought maybe just find a rug to throw over it.

I'd be interested in a DIY sub at some point.

Cable routing, there is lots of ways of doing it. If you have carpet you could tuck the speaker wires under your trim. Also you could try to fish it under the carpet across the room. Access through walls or into basement or crawl space would be an option. If you have hard floors and don't want to mess with fishing wires an area rug works great. The DIY subs are great and I would recommend a Tuba HT (google search) plans are by Bill Fitzmaurice. Reviews of this thing are crazy. One person claims more volume than you could ever need from 20hz up and noticeable volume below 20hz down to around 16 hz where you really feel whats going on in the movie on the bottom end. Also someone mentioned so much low end bass that it physically made him feel uncomfortable at high volumes in his living room. My current setup when I really get into the volume knob (I have two 12" Klipsch 800 watt subs) the subs start to fade off and leaves me wanting more bass. That's why I will be going to a DIY sub. Let me know if you need the Klipsch hook up.

I do not think their is a one size fits all solution to how couples handle their money. Each situation and person is different.

I was the banker and budgeter in my prior marriage, my ex-wife would never want to be involved with our budget, sometimes consider my advice, and mostly justified to herself doing what she wanted anyways. Our only saving grace was my ex and I both made pretty good money.

In future if I was to combine my money with a future partner, we would have to be on the same page (or at least pretty close) in terms of financial planning and budgeting. I currently really like being able to control my own finances, so I see the benefit of separate finances.

Cable routing, there is lots of ways of doing it. If you have carpet you could tuck the speaker wires under your trim. Also you could try to fish it under the carpet across the room. Access through walls or into basement or crawl space would be an option. If you have hard floors and don't want to mess with fishing wires an area rug works great.

+1 to going through the floor- if you have free access to the underside (drop or unfinished ceiling in the basement), just poke a couple 3/8" holes. Through the walls is good too, but you need access at the top or the bottom to get in and out. I'm running mine through the walls right now, but I have a drop ceiling in that room, which makes things way easier.

Had a burned out stock incandescent brake light in the Fozz last week so I took the opportunity to purchase some 7443R LED bulbs. Got them from Superlumination, 4th ones down on the page, 50W Osram Eagle Eye SMT towers. Been running the same ones in amber for the rear turn signals in my Legacy for the past 4 years and love them. Once again, I am impressed with their products.

Right side is the new LED running light.

ef69e53e9a16f16b4e0d452e54d168c1.jpg

Right side is the new LED brake light.

e158498fd030c53bf16c0f4f4968db4e.jpg

http://www.superlumination.com/7443_7440.htm

Edited by GTEASER

Quick dumb question that's probably been beaten to death.

Most of you know the history of my build. I have the Turbo smart dual port BPV. It vents back into the exhaust and it also VTA. I currently have the VTA port blocked off to make it full recirculation. If I took that cap off and made it 50/50 is it going to impact my tune at all or will it be fine at 50/50 considering my car has already been tuned with the bpv on the car?

Thanks

Probably not, since you will only lose air when it vents which isn't very often or for very long of a duration. You will maybe see a rich spot after a venting.

Mine vents for longish periods of time. There's a long mild hill on my way to work that I go up in fifth with partial throttle and maybe ~3psi of boost, and I can hear it venting the whole time. I would be concerned that a minute or two of running rich would be too long. The vent between shifts would be only a second.

Mine vents for longish periods of time. There's a long mild hill on my way to work that I go up in fifth with partial throttle and maybe ~3psi of boost, and I can hear it venting the whole time. I would be concerned that a minute or two of running rich would be too long. The vent between shifts would be only a second.
These engines are much safer running rich than lean.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

That sounds like you need to increase the preload on your BPV. It should only open when there is a significant pressure difference between the turbo compressor outlet and the manifold after the throttle plate. That shouldn't happen ever during steady throttle like cruising on the highway.

Your compressor is making boost and you are dumping it to atmo. Could be fouling plugs.

That sounds like you need to increase the preload on your BPV. It should only open when there is a significant pressure difference between the turbo compressor outlet and the manifold after the throttle plate. That shouldn't happen ever during steady throttle like cruising on the highway.

Your compressor is making boost and you are dumping it to atmo. Could be fouling plugs.

It's at max preload, and it's fully recirculated, so I don't run rich during that time. It opens at ~6psi difference, which is pretty often at partial throttle in high gear under load. Keep in mind that this turbo used to spike to above 23psi in the same conditions before I ported it, so hearing the BPV whoosh a little seems OK to me.

I forget, what intercooler are you running? Opening at a 6psi drop when you're on boost means you're losing 6 pounds across the intercooler, either from the temperature drop or from flow restrictions, and neither of those would get any better at higher flow or boost pressure.

I'm on a partially custom FMIC. I started with the REV9 '10 WRX kit and tweaked it to fit. It's pretty large, but my research indicates that the difference in response and pressure drop between no intercooler (chemical intercooling) and a large FMIC is within the realm of statistical noise.

You're making me doubt myself... I might go out and see if I can adjust the preload...

It this is the case, why would it not be opening at WOT?

EDIT: Brain fart. My BPV is connected ~9 inches from the throttle body. It's discharging reflecting a pressure drop before/after the throttle. I just popped out there and adjusted the preload. It was softer than I thought that I had it set at. I moved it to a quarter turn below the stiffest setting.

Edited by Sarang

I'm on a partially custom FMIC. I started with the REV9 '10 WRX kit and tweaked it to fit. It's pretty large, but my research indicates that the difference in response and pressure drop between no intercooler (chemical intercooling) and a large FMIC is within the realm of statistical noise.

You're making me doubt myself... I might go out and see if I can adjust the preload...

It this is the case, why would it not be opening at WOT?

EDIT: Brain fart. My BPV is connected ~9 inches from the throttle body. It's discharging reflecting a pressure drop before/after the throttle. I just popped out there and adjusted the preload. It was softer than I thought that I had it set at. I moved it to a quarter turn below the stiffest setting.

You need to add washers. It shouldn't be venting during part,half or full throttle . its opening prematurely.

You need to add washers. It shouldn't be venting during part,half or full throttle . its opening prematurely.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2584643

I'm sorry but I am not at all convinced of that. Please explain it, if I'm wrong I'd like to know it!

It makes sense to me that if the turbo wants to make ~23psi at partial throttle, that the bpv would vent.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2584643

I'm sorry but I am not at all convinced of that. Please explain it, if I'm wrong I'd like to know it!

It makes sense to me that if the turbo wants to make ~23psi at partial throttle, that the bpv would vent.

The BPV is more of a safety device, where the wastegate is supposed to be used to control the boost pressure. Because you don't want your turbo constantly trying to make 23 psi it will cause excessive heat and wear on the turbo.