LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

That ^^^

Private selling. Depending on potential buyer of the car, mods may or may not be a good thing. The skid plate is coming off and the shift knob too. The other stuff...dunno. Maybe too much work for the reward.

I suppose I forgot about the APv2 ... That too.

Shipping is always a killer.8cbca0e7aa2c1ffb7961a9667f005696.jpg

Edited by brandon.mol

I filed my taxes on Friday. Saturday, I got a 1099-K from PayPal. I read the back of form and it is sent with either 200 transaction/$20,000 credit card sales. I had 9 sales of ~$2,000. I figured it was sent in error. This morning I looked into it further, it turns out MA and VT now require 1099-K for $600 starting in 2017. WTF!? My sales are basically from some old electronics and selling my 2.5i accessories/extra parts from my 2.5GT. Everything except one item, I lost money or I consider broke even on. Unfortunately, I threw away or delete email the receipts as I sold the parts, because I didn't think they would be needed. It took me a 1 1/2 hour track the receipts, PayPal fees, ebays, shipping fees. I have enough losses from parts I have from receipts to offset the parts I don't have receipts from, but now I have to create a schedule C business. TurboTax charges $40 more for a business, great :rolleyes:

I also have a bigger problem in the future with my 1991 GMC Syclone. I have invested about $4K+ in new (ie NOS) GMC Syclone parts I have collected over the years. Some of parts are now worth 400% more than I paid for them, other have only gone up 20%. The sum of the parts is probably easily over $10k now, but I got rid of lot of my electronic receipts when I went though my divorce 1 1/2 year ago. We agreed in my divorce settlement I would keep the spare parts as part of the divorce agreement. [she didn't ask the value and I didn't voluntarily disclose what I paid for them or leave the crumbs around for my ex wife to find.] My Syclone also has $10k+ of performance parts. They aren't worth $10k, but they do have some value. I will start pulling together receipts over time as best as I can, but I am a little scared that I won't be able to document the bulk of the items I bought 10-15 years ago. If I have to pay 5% to MA, the 22-24% to the Federal government and 15.3% Self Employment tax to SS, my investment is hardly going to be worth my effort for the parts without receipts. I guess I should have known I might have some of tax issue with the the truck because it mire than double in value from what I paid, but I wasn't expecting any issues with buying/selling parts. I have a 5 year plan of moving on from my Syclone, so I have some time to figure it out.

That ^^^

Private selling. Depending on potential buyer of the car, mods may or may not be a good thing. The skid plate is coming off and the shift knob too. The other stuff...dunno. Maybe too much work for the reward.

Shipping is always a killer.8cbca0e7aa2c1ffb7961a9667f005696.jpg

Wow. That is beautiful.

That ^^^

Shipping is always a killer.

I would be interested in the shift knob.

That sounds like a terrible plan :hide:

Some of my friend definitely agree with you on that. I have owned it for 17 years and my interest isn't what it once was. It is not that I don't like it, but I have other cars that I want to own in my lifetime. The value of my truck and my parts stash would give me a good chunk of money towards buying a nice 2nd vehicle to replace it. I don't know if I really want 2 toy vehicles to take care of it along with my daily driver plus I want a bigger boat.

I also am becoming wary of driving/racing in a modified vehicle as it approaches 30 years old. To keep my interest up, I have been toying with returning it to 100% stock and doing that in the same way it was done originally (i.e. with the correct bolts, markings, fittings etc.).

Interesting little video.http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/will-you-stop-faster-2wd-or-4wd-engaged-turns-out-it-depends

I had already suspected that. I had a 84 4wd Toyota truck as my 1st car and I was convince that it brake better when in 4wd. The rear wheel locked up easily in 2wd in the snow because of the lack of weight over the bed. The 4wd seem to help keep the rear wheel from locking up.

I suspect as one goes from 4wd to AWD (little bit of slip in the transfer case), better weight distribution and ABS, that difference becomes very small maybe even practically immeasurable in real world distances.

Personally I'd hand onto it another 10years and then work towards reselling. It'll be a 30g+ vehicle if it's as great as condition as it sounds. Especially since you fully own it, it's not costing you much of anything except insurance. Then the times you do want to stretch it's legs it makes it that much more enjoyable when people see it and compliment you.

Hmmmm......dog pictures. We went out to visit our grand daughter and our new great grand son today....this is there welcome door mat

K0yxy4X.jpg

And this is what you win..... he is a 130 lb. King German Shepherd and goes ape-shit when the bell rings

dmfDSMF.jpg

After he recognizes you he is about as dangerous as a kitten ;)