LegacyGT.com

Official Pets Thread V3

SBT

Mine are definitely assholes, and they work in tandem. The cat likes to jump on the counter tops and knock shit on the floor for the dog. The dog is a chewer and in the last week she chewed the foam insert inside one of my slippers, had to toss them, and yesterday she chewed the Xbox Controller charging cable, had to buy a new one ($15).

I went into the kitchen to get breakfast, for less than 5 minutes and it happened. I guess the 3 other assholes sitting right in front of it in the living room saw nothing either:rolleyes:

Trying to work with her more, she has plenty of chew toys, new ones too. If I could stop my 4 year old from rounding them all up and keeping them away from her, that'd be nice. It would also be nice if she'd keep her tiny plastic shit off the floor too, the dog chews all of it and it gets tossed daily. The 4 year old doesn't seem to care either.

Edited by DickDastardly00

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

A few months ago we worked with a trainer and introduced our dog to an ecollar. He had developed some dog reactivity - barking/lunging at dogs when on walks. It started with German Shephards, for whatever reason he decided they are assholes and were instantly on his shit list. Progressed to pretty much any medium to large dog.

And living in a city, we see lots of dogs. It was horrible for awhile, girlfriend broke down in tears after one walk, I was on the verge myself. He had been doing so well, then this just kind of popped up out of the blue a little after he turned 1.

Ecollar has been hugely helpful with that. Tried doing positive only desensitization stuff with marginal results.

Are also using it to improve recall reliability, stop him attacking the vacuum, and get him to respond faster to other commands.

Highly recommend it as a training tool, just have to introduce it and use it properly.

You know what also works?

Kicking the shit out of them when they misbehave.

Another cure for dog aggression towards larger dogs is to let your uppity smaller dog get wrecked by picking a fight with a larger dog. See how much they spoil for a fight after that.

boxkita was taught so many bad behaviors by his loving but idiot owners, um me, that he got kicked out of every kennel for fighting. He didn't share well. So the last place was giving carte blanche to correct his behavior. He would wear a shock collar the entire time. However, for a long time, he was willing to take the shock to keep on doing things.

Until a family picnic at the kennel. They had electric fence for the rest of the dogs. Boxkita had a standing jump of 6 feet. At any rate, he was in the play area with the other big dogs and decided being involved was better than being fenced. He led the parade 3 times through the picnic. On the fourth lap, the shock collar caught just in time to throw off his jump and landed on the electric fence.

When I came to pick him up, he came within a foot of the fence and whined, but no closer. He went there another 5 years. Never jumped the fence again.

Over the years, he gutted 3 vehicles. Rental cars companies get all pissy when you buy the all things covered policy and bring it back with the interior nicely shredded. Note to self: hiding the treats in a place where they can fall into a hole is a bad idea. He de-tufted the carpet.

Our huskies love a long walk. As long as they get one daily, they are mostly ok. The wake up at 3am drives me bonkers tho.

Our German Shepherd was not impressed with the shock collar and would take the hit and keep on keeping on. She didn’t like getting her ass beat, and learned from that. Particularly if she had prey to chase, like deer. Ass beatings solved that. Caught her chewing on trim in the house, ass beating, doesn’t do that anymore. Attacked the weed eater, gave it some throttle when she went after it and she decided it wasn’t fun to play with any more. She was a hard bitch and only really learned from praise or pain, she’s also very smart and wisely chose to be a very good girl after only one or two come to Jesus meetings.

The new male Rottweiler hasn’t been introduced to the shock collar, he’s had a few come to Jesus meetings with my fists and has also learned that praise and treats is much better than fists and feet. He’s turning out to be a very good well adjusted dog, likes people, likes other dogs, comes when called, sits, downs, and stays well. Pretty fast learner, which is good I enjoy praise and affection way way more than discipline!

We have two absolutely hated pieces of mechanical machinery by the dog, the first I dubbed the 'Evil Lord of Vah-Cuum' and the other is the brother, the Carpet Cleaner, but that only gets used once in a while. Last weekend I cleaned the carpets upstairs and she saw both of them together, she about had a doggy conniption.

We use the Collar and it works pretty well too, except when the Vacuum comes out of the closet, at that point nothing works because she loses her shit until it gets put back away.

Ah yes the evil and naughty vacuum cleaner. Also hated by our German Shepherd, she will leave it alone now but will gleefully attack it on command.

It’s an extra special pain in the ass when your dog is big enough and strong enough to pick the vacuum up off the floor.

Our old lady, American Foxhound Luna, barks herself silly almost all day every day. We estimate her to be 15, and her anxiety level is off the chain. CBD oil newly introduced seems to make no difference. We’ve used a shock collar for years, just for barking. For the most part, we put it on, she hushes up. I was so hoping the CBD would help the all out panic attacks when I leave for a walk, but no dice.

You know what also works?

Kicking the shit out of them when they misbehave.

I like the ecollar because it separates the punishment from us the owner.

Also, it lets you work both thenpositive punishment (akin to physically hitting them hard) and negative reinforcement (creating a bad situation until a good behavior is performed) aspects of conditioning.

For the dog reactivity, we use it at a higher level. Ours goes from 0-100 and 25 is a good positive punishment level for our dog. As soon as he perks up to a dog, but before he reacts, we say no and zap him. Only took a couple weeks doing that to see massive improvement. The key is to break the focus before he actually went nuts.

The negative reinforcement we use a lower level, 7-10. Use that for making him sit/lay down/come faster. Give a command and hold the zap button until he starts to do the behavior. Then as soon as he completes it, positive reinforcement with praise and treats.

I don't think punishing the dog for reacting makes sense. Can make them associate the trigger (in our case big dogs) with punishment which makes it worse.

For the vacuum, it was a pretty instant fix. As soon as he approached the vacuum, hit him with it at around 30. Did that twice and he got the message. And are now working on the next step, which is staying in his place while we vacuum.

Edited by stm25rs

Some dogs respond well to the collar, our girl just shrugged it off like it was nothing. The Rottweiler male is actually more “sensitive” to us being mad than she ever has been. He’s a quick study and wants to please. Fortunately he has no desire to get into it with other dogs, and he’s getting so big most other dogs are hesitant around him. He’s protective but not over the top, and knows we are in charge.

Your dog might think he’s protecting you from those big brutish dangerous looking other dogs. He needs to also understand that as the pack leader you don’t need to be protected from non threatening dogs, animals, or people.

• 2 weeks later...

fefde07c0aad0a281b26a800037fd55d.jpg

The new neighbor moved in and he has a husky. My pits are not a fan apparently. Trying to figure out how to block off the fence so they stop making killer puppy sounds, and instead spend their time doing what God intended, like taking a shit on my freshly planted fescue.

Brought to you by Pfizer

The black one (Miles) has a soft mouth, the Tan one though is the one you have to watch out for. She will **** your dog up, as evidenced by the condition she left two black labs in when they stole her tennis ball on her final trip to the dog park.

Brought to you by Pfizer

• 1 month later...

Our dog got neutered yesterday. Didn't see much goofy post anesthesia behavior, but he was exhausted and understandably seemed kinda grumpy. Seems to be recovering fine, been exhausted all day. He's not on any strong med, just carprofen which is basically doggy ibuprofen

Interesting seeing what his skin looks like under his merle coat.c1aab4d9c28ca1b1fd085ebac2a683e3.jpg41b73e40978e17524ec6e3f2f7437be1.jpg63b0f9693a0f89d932f783749735d0be.jpg6b17c95518613200a02dd4ad0672d134.jpg

Look at those 2 little soon to be murderers.

Being a LEO is hard. Buddy of mine was nearly killed by a pitbull last week responding to a call Domestic disturbance call. Thing lunged at his neck several times and he was forced to use his mag light to protect himself. By the time it was over the dog was whipped, jaw bloodied, dazed, didn't know up from down and it still got up for more. At that point he drew his sidearm, pointed it at the dog and told the owner he better get control of his dog or he would have to put it down. This was coming from a former pit bull owner too, he knows the breed like the back of his hand and his pitbull was a total sweetheart till the day she died at a ripe old age.

Good owner Vs dipshit owner, big difference. He had to file a dangerous dog report afterwards.

He should have shot it to begin with.

He would've been well within his right to do so. But really the dog never had a chance against someone like him, too much experience in hell holes far worse than anything the USA has to offer. If it was two pit bulls then he would most likely would've had no choice but to put them down. One he can handle just fine, in fact he walked away without a scratch on him.