LegacyGT.com

Official Pets Thread V3

SBT

Boxkita was pretty smart about pills too.

grab their mouth and lever it open, jam the pill as far down their throat as you can, close their mouth and hold it shut. you have to hold on until they gulp. it helps to stroke their neck too. it was traumatizing every time, for all of us.

Our first Dane was against taking medication too. We had the most success with a glob of peanut butter

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

grab their mouth and lever it open, jam the pill as far down their throat as you can, close their mouth and hold it shut. you have to hold on until they gulp. it helps to stroke their neck too. it was traumatizing every time, for all of us.

This worked for me thanks

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

After 2 solid days of eating, she took a step back, was up nearly all night with her again. Diarrhea all night nearly every hour. Her stool is getting blood in it again too. It's like her body is losing the battle to the GI tract infection. She hasn't eaten anything since 10:30 last night. Called her Vet, waiting to hear back. A stronger dose of the antibiotic may be necessary.

Sorry you’re dealing with this. Hang in there. They’re amazingly resilient animals, hopefully the vets get it figured out ASAP.
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Tried giving my dog pills in cheese (but realized cheese, even a little bit, gave him diarrhea). Tried peanut butter, he'd just kind of suck on the pill/PB glob then spit out the cleaned off pill.

Have been doing the pill jammed in the back of the throat method. He doesn't seem to mind too much. Usually give him a couple small treats right after to help make sure it's swallowed.

Had to give eye drops for a week last year. First couple days he was traumatized but I got a good method down that made it go smoothly

It helped when my wife did it (smaller hand). Boxkita had an amazing ability to hauck things up. Getting the gulp didn't always equate to getting the pill down.

We haven't had to do it with the huskies. I'm a little concerned as Bella has razor sharp teeth. Enzo is pretty mild-mannered. Hopefully we have a few years before its an issue

Edited by boxkita

Vet approved giving her the whole pill for 1 to 2 days and then switching back to a half pill. after 1.5 days I just switched back to the half. She's doing better, pretty much back to her normal self, logged 6 meals yesterday, 2 to 3 tblspns each. Her weight looks normal too. The cat is happy too, they played great yesterday, something he's been missing for days.

Her stool is still really soft but there's no Red in it at all, back to a light brown color. We seem to be winning the battle at the moment. I do need a good stool sample to take in to her vet. It's not likely its worms, Giardia, she was given medication for that as a puppy, but they will test for that.

I'm also sprinkling a probiotic powder on top of her food which seems to be working great.

It can also be an allergy or intolerance, like gluten does for some humans.

Yep. Food allergies and Inflammatory Bowel Disease have such nearly identical symptoms that a biopsy is the sole definitive diagnostic. The only good news is that treatment is the same for either condition, so a biopsy is usually redundant.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

boxkita was allergic to several plants and the bark ground cover in the backyard. Watching a dog sneeze is funny unless you are having the same allergic reaction. He was on shots for awhile then we gave up. Dug up the more offensive plants, ripped out the grass, etc. Then found out his worst allergy was pollen...karma

huskies seem immune to everything.

Woke up this morning at 6 to her throwing up a small amount of clear fluid. She did it again at about 11. She skipped meals all day until dinner time, then ate 3 meals and now she's eating her dry food on top of that. I wonder if she has a digestive issue like acid reflux, if so that should be easy to treat. You can even give over the counter stuff like prilosec as long as its the 10mg tablets.

The furry gangsters are terrorizing the house like normal today, her energy level is very high. I'm going to resume normal feeding tonight

Here is our boxer pup during the Texas snowpocalypse in Feb, having the time of his life in this white powder stuff. He's turning out to be an amazing dog and truly a wonderful best friend.

Unfortunately, my husky Roxy was not around to enjoy her favorite season, as we had to say goodbye to her this last December. I even found the posts (prior closed official pets thread) where I brought her home and shared with the forum that very day. She gave us a wonderful 15+ years and I'll never forget her. :wub:

Also, holy cow it's been a long time since I have joined this forum :lol:

20210215_121754.thumb.jpg.b6c747e88db0ca6be2355a9cfb412903.jpg

Edited by Kaos22B

So I get in last night from a long trip on the terrible RR (cue I’ve been working on the RR song), wind down for a bit then decide to go to bed.

I feel Jack the Rottweiler laying on the floor with my feet as per normal, lay down and my pillow is gone. WTF? Is my wife mad at me or some shit? So I ask her where my pillow is. She has no idea. So I turn the flashlight on my phone on and.....

4-EBE3254-0334-4-A90-AB40-4-EC68-EFBBB71.jpg

geojson viewer online

That ****** stole my pillow to lay on. Damn dog.

So I get in last night from a long trip on the terrible RR (cue I’ve been working on the RR song), wind down for a bit then decide to go to bed.

I feel Jack the Rottweiler laying on the floor with my feet as per normal, lay down and my pillow is gone. WTF? Is my wife mad at me or some shit? So I ask her where my pillow is. She has no idea. So I turn the flashlight on my phone on and.....

4-EBE3254-0334-4-A90-AB40-4-EC68-EFBBB71.jpg

geojson viewer online

That ****** stole my pillow to lay on. Damn dog.

You love him and you know it. LOL :wub: