LegacyGT.com

Official Pets Thread V3

SBT

Last ditch attempt, so I'll post here too:

Trying to help a friend rehome a purebred Blue Tick Coonhound. Originally from breeder at 8 weeks. Now 4.5 YO. 70LB Neutered, UTD on vaccines. As a puppy, was food aggressive but seemed to grow out of it. Last night, bit daughter of owner on foot, requiring 4 stitches. Butter dish dropped and shattered. Daughter retrieved dish and ran to other room - dog gave chase and bit her foot. Husband says to put him down. Until last night, dog has been very affectionate and loving. Good with other passive dogs. He's trained on a e-collar and loves hikes through the woods. He's housetrained and has good basic manners, well, except for one. His name is Jake.

If you can help, please reach out to me. I can help with transport. I'll be driving through VA into NC at the end of the week... If our world hadn't flipped upside down a few weeks ago, I'd take him in a hot second. I just don't even know where we'll be living soon, so I can't take on a third hound.

I love dogs, but I've shot them in the past in Iraq. I have no tolerance for dogs that bite unprovoked. I've seen children with severe dismemberment from dog bites.

If shooting is not an option I'd suggest a trip to the vet.

I guess they could wait for him to display food aggression again, and literally beat his stupid ass into submission. Probably more humane to just have him put down.

I tend to side with penguin and the dad on this one once a dog bites a human especially a kid and when food is involved it is not to be trusted.

You never know when he will decide that food on the table is his and the kid pushes him away.

People/kids tend to want to "hug" the friendly dog and put their face against his, Bam! the dog nails them only this time in the face.

Years ago I had a large boned Doberman 110 lbs. and solid I told my insurance agent they should lower my costs because no one would dare break into my house. The agent said he would forget I said that and told me it's cheaper to replace my TV set than a dog mauling someone.

More liability than it's worth.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

I tend to side with penguin and the dad on this one once a dog bites a human especially a kid and when food is involved it is not to be trusted.

I've always tried to train my dogs from first feeding that food is a privilege not a right. They don't like it at first but they learn.

Food goes in the bowl and dog stays seated until EAT command. Always be able to re-claim the food once they've started eating it, too. At any time I can reach in and grab some food or push the dog away from their meal and stand in front of it. They will sit back down until I say EAT again.

In this pic I'm pretty sure she's waiting for that command :lol:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229477&d=1462189216

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

I've always tried to train my dogs from first feeding that food is a privilege not a right. They don't like it at first but they learn.

Food goes in the bowl and dog stays seated until EAT command. Always be able to re-claim the food once they've started eating it, too. At any time I can reach in and grab some food or push the dog away from their meal and stand in front of it. They will sit back down until I say EAT again.

I did something similar from day one I would put my hands right in the food bowl and would even take food out of their mouths even when they were adults. Think of it as continuing education.

I never laid a hand on them and they were never aggressive towards me or other people as long as I was there. They were very protective of me but seemed to know who may be a threat.

I went out of my way to find as many kids and other dogs as I could to socialize them while they were pups. I enrolled in obedience classes and trials classes and highly recommend it to all dog owners. My dogs were well mannered and behaved they never jumped on people unless they were playing.

Once a dog bites a person and draws blood especially a kid all bets are off.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Ours are trained this way, too. It's my food until I tell them 'OK'.

• 3 months later...

Dog sat this little dude again last week. He gets enough "awwww"ss as is when taking him for a walk. Yesterday he was holding his giraffe stuffed animal when it was walk time, and he didn't want to drop him. Got a ridiculous amount of attention

http://i.imgur.com/olfCoSW.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/gM60RKL.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
My dynamic duo of a$$hole hounds, in the 15 min they were unattended this morning, managed to dump an entire full crockpot onto the kitchen floor. Fortunately it’s the style with the lid clamped on, and nothing broke, but they did enjoy the two quarts of hambone soaked liquid that oozed onto the floor. [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

My dynamic duo of a$$hole hounds, in the 15 min they were unattended this morning, managed to dump an entire full crockpot onto the kitchen floor. Fortunately it’s the style with the lid clamped on, and nothing broke, but they did enjoy the two quarts of hambone soaked liquid that oozed onto the floor. [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

My dad used to tell me when my dog would screwup that you have to be smarter than the dog. ;)

:lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

My brother in law has a Besingi (sp?), a 2 ft tall dog. It managed to steal a 5 or10 lb beef tenderloin off the hot grill when no one was watching and disappeared the meat. No furniture near the grill. I was sad to lose a delicious meal but laughed my ass off as brother in law searched angrily for his pet. That was an expensive cut of meat. :lol:

My cat loved salmon and you had to continually knock her off the counter as you prepared it. We blackened it one day and the cat came to the dining table. I offered a small piece to the cat, she tried it, and promptly went to the corner of the room to piss she was so, um, pissed off at the spices.