LegacyGT.com

Official Pets Thread V3

SBT

Being a LEO is hard. Buddy of mine was nearly killed by a pitbull last week responding to a call Domestic disturbance call. Thing lunged at his neck several times and he was forced to use his mag light to protect himself. By the time it was over the dog was whipped, jaw bloodied, dazed, didn't know up from down and it still got up for more. At that point he drew his sidearm, pointed it at the dog and told the owner he better get control of his dog or he would have to put it down. This was coming from a former pit bull owner too, he knows the breed like the back of his hand and his pitbull was a total sweetheart till the day she died at a ripe old age.

Good owner Vs dipshit owner, big difference. He had to file a dangerous dog report afterwards.

Yeah that's no good, I'm glad he's alright. My dogs love people, they just want snuggles. The thing that makes Pitbulls great is the exact thing that makes them so dangerous. They desperately need two things, the first is to make their owner happy, and the second is to get some work done. And if you don't provide a healthy means to both of those ends, then you're going to end up with a shitty violent dog.

Brought to you by Pfizer

My parents had to put down one of their dogs today because she had cancer.

The other dog is now a bit distressed because she has never been alone, so she spent some time with me today to at least have someone around.

453747.png

Huskies went to the doc today. They are eating dirt every day now. They are at their perfect weight and easily doing 5 miles a day. Their diet is equivalent to Boxkita's, even though he weighed 20lbs more. Hoping it's just left over behavior from leaving on the street for years.

The Corgi can't stop chewing on plastic toys that the 4 year old drops, I put them up out of reach constantly just to find them magically back on the floor some time later.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

The Corgi can't stop chewing on plastic toys that the 4 year old drops, I put them up out of reach constantly just to find them magically back on the floor some time later.

Just start with some anti-chew treatment on the toys. And give the corgi something tasty to chew on that's persistent. An oversized chewing bone that's hard to bite around maybe?

453747.png

Just start with some anti-chew treatment on the toys. And give the corgi something tasty to chew on that's persistent. An oversized chewing bone that's hard to bite around maybe?

She has a good chewing bone and lots of toys, but you're right I need to try something else like maybe the bitter spray deterrent products but those might be hard to spray on little toys and are typically used on furniture. We have no problem with her chewing on furniture, just toys, cardboard/paper and the occasional power cable and xbox charging controller cable (happened once).

I think it's more of a behavioral thing with the 4 year old. Both being the youngest of the pack, they have a special relationship unlike any other relationship dynamic in the house. She wants what the 4 year old is playing with because what she is doing is interesting and fun to the dog, also the 4 year has nearly limitless energy compared to my older two and us and that is a very attractive thing to a dog that is also a high energy working dog.

When we first put the tree up he nibbled at some of the pine needles. Fortunately he decided they weren't tasty and has left it alone since then

The dog leaves the tree alone, however the cat likes to climb it and knock off the ornaments. He's been better lately though.

So the dog chewed one of my son's favorite toys into oblivion. It was left out of the dogs reach on the Dining room table, so the cat probably knocked it down.

It just keeps happening, every day it's a new toy, one of the girls' toys usually, a littlest Pet shop[, a Hatchimal, or a lego, something. I was at work all day so I wasn't there for it, I guess she probably does it out of just boredom mostly.

I'm just at an impasse on what to do, other than bringing the puppy playpen back out, permanently. But if I have to do that, lock her up in doggy jail, then I may as well just give her away to home without any kids. We redirect her to her chew toys, bribe her to drop it with treats, all the stuff your are supposed to be doing and nothing break the habit, not scolding her either, nothing.

Anyway my son freaked out on her (probably because it was sacred to him) and she bit him in return (probably felt threatened) so I can't blame her, but I'm going to get an ear full about it when I get home. Fun times.

Edited by DickDastardly00

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but if your kids value their toys, they need to make sure they're not accessible by your dog. Dogs see everything as a toy including shoes, and gloves, and water bottles, and rugs, and stair banisters, and tools, and tires, and God forbid-CAR PARTS, and basically anything they can grab hold of.

I know when kids were here and my big shepherd Fritz (who was 5' tall on his back legs) wanted something, he could generally get to it, even if they left it on their bed or kitchen table or kitchen counter top, so they learned to make sure their toys were put away in toy boxes. Of course, Fritz chewed on the edges of the toy boxes too..LOL...but after about 2 years old, that all calmed down and they were safe again. My wife's shoes took a hell of a beating (so did my wallet replacing them) and SHE learned to put them away too.

How old is the dog?

She just turned 1 year.

The problem is that they are home and I'm at work and I'm the primary. We got her in January and kenneled her during the work/school days until the shutdown in March. Then suddenly everyone was home, which was fine when I was furloughed, but then I went back to work. School started up again virtually and my wife started working from home 5 days a week.

So everyone is home but everyone is busy with their stuff, so it's likely just boredom, and I'm not there which exacerbates the problem. She is such a good dog when I'm there. She literally shadowed me the whole night and was on my lap the moment I sat down. I could tell she was depressed and had a rough day and that's not a good feeling. I loved her through it to the best of my ability and she was much happier this morning because of it. And here I am back at working already wondering how she is doing. I wish I had a job where I could be with her all day.

You live in the Seattle area, just claim she’s an emotional support animal because you feel anxiety because you self identify as a lesbian female Native American carrot cake that has ancestors who were slaves. The owners of the building will be so terrified of offending you that you will be able to bring your dog to work.

Tell that to your boss and you will get a sweet “safety coordinator job” with a raise, a company vehicle, and be allowed to work from home. At least that is what happens when a BNSF employee has BNSF by the short and curly hairs and needs to be bought off.

Does your wife give the dog exercise/playtime/mental stimulation during the day?

And I don't mean a short potty break walk, I mean running, fetch, trick practice, hide and seek, etc. My understanding is Corgis are pretty smart dogs and need that mental work too.

When our Aussie was that age you could take him out for an hour walk and he'd still seem to have some energy when you got back inside. But then doing 10 minutes of trick practice got him fully tuckered out.

You live in the Seattle area, just claim she’s an emotional support animal because you feel anxiety because you self identify as a lesbian female Native American carrot cake that has ancestors who were slaves. The owners of the building will be so terrified of offending you that you will be able to bring your dog to work.

Tell that to your boss and you will get a sweet “safety coordinator job” with a raise, a company vehicle, and be allowed to work from home. At least that is what happens when a BNSF employee has BNSF by the short and curly hairs and needs to be bought off.

Lol, it's the insurance company (Tennant insurance) that also won't allow pets. We even have a Pet supply company on the 4th floor, none of those people can bring their pets to work and they all look like they belong working in vet clinic.

Does your wife give the dog exercise/playtime/mental stimulation during the day?

And I don't mean a short potty break walk, I mean running, fetch, trick practice, hide and seek, etc. My understanding is Corgis are pretty smart dogs and need that mental work too.

When our Aussie was that age you could take him out for an hour walk and he'd still seem to have some energy when you got back inside. But then doing 10 minutes of trick practice got him fully tuckered out.

She says she does (when time permits) but I don't think it's anything longer then a couple minutes of tug-a-war. Nowhere near the excersise she needs. To be fair, she is also jostling a 4 year old all while trying to work from home. That can't be easy.

So I work her extra at night to try and compensate, plus the cat joins in when I pull out the Laser and they have blast together. I mean, to be clear, that is all very underwhelming and not nearly enough stimulus for a working dog like a Corgi but I the best I can with what little time I have with her after work until bed.

Serious answer though - if wife can't make adjustments for more dog time during the day, can you have a dog walker even if 2-3 days per week?

Our Aussie was a real handful from about 8 months to just over a year. Around 14 months or so he started to mellow out a lot. Well, relatively speaking....still an Aussie but much more manageable.