LegacyGT.com

Official Pets Thread V3

SBT

Serious answer though - if wife can't make adjustments for more dog time during the day, can you have a dog walker even if 2-3 days per week?

Our Aussie was a real handful from about 8 months to just over a year. Around 14 months or so he started to mellow out a lot. Well, relatively speaking....still an Aussie but much more manageable.

That's the frustrating part about her new job, she can't really get up and move around, or even take a break once she starts a legal filing or it will time-expire and she'll have to do it all over again. She takes a lunch break and that's it. The dog walker is a good idea, I'm going to look into that.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Pre-covid we had a dog walker. We used a local company, so it would be one of a handful of walkers depending on scheduling. They also had an option for group walks, like 2-3 dogs, which was a bit less expensive and gave the dogs some socialization. They did a pretty good job of matching up dogs based on size and temperament.

We had looked into rover but had a bunch of positive referrals for the local company from people in the neighborhood. I'm sure rover can work out just fine, but you probably have to vet the people a bit more.

• 3 weeks later...

Cast of characters:

Enzo - 60lb Alaskan Husky

Bella - 50lb Siberian Husky

Alf - 80lb German Shepherd

Courtyard of Alf's house has 3 sides of glass, including a hallway with a door so huskies can be inside but not mix with Alf.

Normally the separation door is always closed when all 3 dogs are home. For reasons unknown, the two huskies were in the courtyard and the separation door was open. Alf went down the huskies hallway and ate all of their food...in full view of the huskies. Needless to say, the huskies were displeased.

A couple of days later, the huskies developed their revenge. Enzo did the digging while Bella stood on a planter box watching for Alf. Every time Alf came down the hallway to see what's what, Bella whined and Enzo took off. So Enzo's revenge took a couple days to complete.

The finished product, sadly thwarted by iphone again, is an Enzo sized hole outside the window where Alf's food bowl is. Alf always gets fed at the same time. Enzo hides in the hole a few minutes before. The food is poured in. Alf comes to check it out. Enzo jumps up barking and furiously pawing the glass. Bella assists. Alf invariably freaks out and runs off. Then Enzo sets the trap anew.

Now, the only way Alf will eat is if the huskies are in their own hallway.

3 days later, if either husky sees Alf looking through the window (in or out), they go full attack, barking and pawing the windows. So much for them ever getting along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did some off leash hiking this weekend. We did about 4 miles, he must have covered double that with all of his exploring.

Had his first difficult recall test - made our way up a hill and over the crest was 6-7 deer. Didn't listen to the first "come" but cranked the ecollar up a bit, hit the button, and he came right back.

Other than the deer, he listened perfectly. He'll go 20-30 yards ahead then turnaround and check in.20a62cd9e1bf3b782f5790a3784c6046.jpga297e328b174959f71ae9bbb7447410d.jpg1566c67c94cd9d60d544dcc07afaae54.jpg

Love the saddle bags. Boxkita wasn't much for carrying but he loved snowshoeing in the mountains. Had booties for traction. He'd run up ahead 200 yards then come back to check on us, bark a few times, then run out again. I carried him back to the car a few times in his younger days, because too tired.

Huskies are still too much "street dogs" to let off leash. Food drive is still super strong. We think Enzo would probably come back, but Bella? she wants her freedom. Although she still wants Enzo.

I think his herding instinct helps with the recall and check ins - gotta make sure his flock (us humans) is together.

We had a different pack, I think outward hound (?) when he was younger but it didn't fit well and kept shifting, no matter how we tried adjusting it.

This one is a ruffwear, was $$$, but very well made and fits great.

Only use it to hold his extra water on regular hikes, but will be doing some backpacking this year and he'll be carrying his own food.

Did some off leash hiking this weekend. We did about 4 miles, he must have covered double that with all of his exploring.

Had his first difficult recall test - made our way up a hill and over the crest was 6-7 deer. Didn't listen to the first "come" but cranked the ecollar up a bit, hit the button, and he came right back.

Other than the deer, he listened perfectly. He'll go 20-30 yards ahead then turnaround and check in.20a62cd9e1bf3b782f5790a3784c6046.jpga297e328b174959f71ae9bbb7447410d.jpg1566c67c94cd9d60d544dcc07afaae54.jpg

Such a pretty face and pretty eyes. :wub:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been through hell with the dog since Tuesday

She vomited 9 times that day

On Wednesday, the diarrhea started. All day and all night long. She rang the bell strap on the door to alert me it was time to take her outside about once every 45 mins, all through the night. Last night was not quite as frequent but it was still 5 to 6 times all in the middle of the night.

I finally got her to eat about 2 tbspn this morning. This was after trying every bland diet possibility under the sun for 3 days.

That Hill Science diet canned food i picked up from the vet is trash, in fact that stuff has never worked for me with any pet I've had. What worked was boiled chicken warmed up for about 7 secs, without low sodium chicken broth this time because that hasn't worked.

I've had about 2 hrs of sleep in two nights.

Only thing I can think of that may have caused this is something she consumed outside. I'm pretty good about removing things like mushrooms possible deadly flora. But I could've missed something. No more off leash in the yard for awhile. I'm not about to go though this again any time soon

there's a 24/7 pet emergency hospital across from ikea. blue pearl? saved boxkita's life twice. not cheap, tho. however extremely competent staff.

could be internal issues. Boxkita was taking a preventative med for years, that unbeknownst to us, had extreme side effects in some cases. The manufacturer paid most of the vet bills but boxkita took a long time to recover. probably not your issue.

dogs, in general, are healthy unless actually sick. if they eat something bad, they'll eat grass to bind thongs together and then hairball it up or poop it out. I'd get yours checked out.

Sunday will be a year since we brought home two husky strays. the male pretty much lives for me to pet him. the female, as of last week, allows me to pet her for 2 minutes in the morning under a very specific set of circumstances. outside of that, I'm still Freddy kreuger & Chuckie rolled into one.

I'm on anti-histamines full-time and pretty much went to work to get some fresh air away from them. Still, can't give them up, too attached.

I went to Blue Pearl yesterday morning because they told me the wait was about 2.5 hours. When I arrived they said the wait was six hours, I bailed shortly after because her actual vet appt was about the time when they could get me in. Was kinda pissed I drove out there for nothing. We have nationwide for our pet Healthcare Insurance so we only pay 30% of the total cost.

Anyway she's eaten twice so far, and looking better. But I need to figure a way to get her to take pills, she's tough on us. We've tried the greenie pill pockets, hiding it in food and the only thing that kinda works is cheese. she'll eat around the pill and spit it out too. She likely has a GI tract infection so I need to get the antibiotics in her somehow

I went to Blue Pearl yesterday morning because they told me the wait was about 2.5 hours. When I arrived they said the wait was six hours, I bailed shortly after because her actual vet appt was about the time when they could get me in. Was kinda pissed I drove out there for nothing. We have nationwide for our pet Healthcare Insurance so we only pay 30% of the total cost.

Anyway she's eaten twice so far, and looking better. But I need to figure a way to get her to take pills, she's tough on us. We've tried the greenie pill pockets, hiding it in food and the only thing that kinda works is cheese. she'll eat around the pill and spit it out too. She likely has a GI tract infection so I need to get the antibiotics in her somehow

Boxkita was pretty smart about pills too.

grab their mouth and lever it open, jam the pill as far down their throat as you can, close their mouth and hold it shut. you have to hold on until they gulp. it helps to stroke their neck too. it was traumatizing every time, for all of us.