LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

April 7th 1982, DownEast Maine had a whiteout blizzard that dropped 43" of snow from Midnight until 7AM. Wind gusts reached 80 MPH with sustained 70 MPH. All of New England got shellacked that night.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

NWPA winters that I remember, usually had 18" or so lake-effect snowfalls, that would melt-down to about 6" then turn to ice and new snow would just build-up on top of that. You could easily have 2' of snow on the ground for several weeks to a month or more if the weather stayed cold enough. Those winters were typically 0*F overnight and <20*F during the day.

Made toting my 30-06 M1 Garand around during deer season a lot of fun. Take a step, break through the crust, take another step, and now you're butt-deep in snow and ice. Maneuvering to shoot sometimes consisted of sitting down on the crust, with your legs still buried in the snow and spinning around on the surface while firing. Always an adventure.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Picked up a new toy for Christmas... well, actually I ordered it in November, but it showed up a couple of weeks ago, so after I shot it, I wrapped it up and put it under the tree... ;)

Ruger 10/22 Takedown Lite... destined to live in our camper. Very light and handy, and packages nicely in the included case. Ruger even thought to have the logo patch on velcro so it can be removed if you want to be totally discreet...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/DSC_0090_zpsdt0xzzlr.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/DSC_0089_zpsbjnjeabw.jpg

I mounted the Burris Fastfire III that came off my M&P CORE, and it's a perfect match to the gun.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y185/RodanAZ/DSC_0093_zps2yhtzbbu.jpg

Shoots nicely, though I haven't done any serious accuracy testing. It's threaded for a can, and I will definitely be getting one for it, but I'm going to wait a few months to see if HPA gets any traction (keeping my fingers crossed) Cycles Aguila Subsonic, and CCI Standard vel, but not CCI Quiet. I Haven't been able to get any other suppressor ammo to test yet.

A couple outfits are making integrally suppressed barrels for these now... that would be really cool, but depending on state laws could defeat the purpose of it being a camper gun for traveling.

5 Reasons to own a silencer:

greater safety

happier neighbors

ethical hunting

effective defense

enhanced accuracy

You need ammo designed for use with a suppressor to take full effect of the tool and not damage it. Generally subsonic rounds rather than supersonic rounds.

A suppressor is essentially a "muffler" for the firearm, making them quieter but not silent. With calibers that are supersonic (ie, the bullet leaves the muzzle in excess of ~1100 feet per second), the bullet will make a loud 'crack' as it breaks the sound barrier leaving the muzzle. This is something a suppressor cannot affect... it only works on the 'muzzle blast' by slowing the velocity of the escaping gasses behind the bullet.

Suppressor specific ammunition (especially in .22LR) is a relatively new thing for many manufacturers, and getting the balance of low velocity, while still reliably cycling the action can be a tricky thing.

5 Reasons to own a silencer:

greater safety

happier neighbors

ethical hunting

effective defense

enhanced accuracy

You need ammo designed for use with a suppressor to take full effect of the tool and not damage it. Generally subsonic rounds rather than supersonic rounds.

Ethical hunting?

Enhanced accuracy?

What do you mean?

I would like to go small game hunting with a suppressor but just because it will scare the game away less. Big game hunting like deer I don't think it would do much. They all take off when they hear a bow or crossbow fire and usually you're only killing 1 at a time.

If anything I could see suppressors being used for unethical hunting. Usually, around here anyway, when you hear of someone getting caught taking game after dark or out of season it is a bow/crossbow being used to keep noise down.

Just curious, but why do you guys get suppressors and why do they need special ammo?

Suppressors don't need special ammo. Some shooters will utilize ammunition that is already subsonic to reduce sound signature even more. Otherwise you still have the supersonic crack of the round breaking the sound barrier.

Even shooting full power rifle ammo running supersonic speeds in a suppressed rifle is really nice because the sound signature is lowered to a hearing safe level. So the suppressor acts as a form of hearing protection, and as a way to reduce noise pollution.

Typically suppressors don't affect weapon accuracy either way if the suppressor is well made, although it is recommended to use a heavier barrel with them to reduce impact shifts between non suppressed and suppressed use. So pencil barrels need not apply.

Some states allow hunting with suppressors so the hunter doesn't have to make his ears bleed, and the public doesn't have to hear WWIII kick off outside of town every November. Well at least theoretically, since most hunters don't shoot a lot and probably will not go to the expense and hassle of obtaining a suppressor.

Downsides are expense, government hurdles, and loss of manoueverability since you're adding a bunch of length and weight to the end of your firearm.

Ethical hunting?

Enhanced accuracy?

What do you mean?

Ethical Hunting: As the country grows more urban, hunters are finding themselves chasing game closer to human habitation. Any time guns are discharged near the non-hunting public, the chance of confrontation is exacerbated. Silencers mitigate that chance.

Enhanced Accuracy: Most people shoot a .223 Rem. better than a .338 Win. Mag. Why? Despite what we want to believe, few of us are actually immune to recoil, so we tend to shoot better with light-recoiling guns. Much like a muzzle brake, silencers reduce recoil by countering the gas pressure that would otherwise force the gun straight back into a shooter’s face and shoulder. They also reduce perceived noise. Quiet guns are easier to shoot.

Most silencers, while they may slightly alter the point of impact, do not necessarily make the firearm less accurate. To the contrary, oftentimes they cause the firearm’s groups to shrink.

On a side note... I was just informed today that the new "assault weapon" regulations in Cali are even more draconian than previously thought.

Prior to the end of 2017 I will have to either convert all my "assault weapons" to new Cali spec or register them as an "assault weapon". Among other restrictions. This I already knew. Today I learned that there is a "limit" and specific regulations for those above the "limit". The "limit" being 5 registered "assault weapons". If you have 5 or less the state is allowed to "examine/inspect" your "assault weapons" every 5 years. If you have more than 5 the state is allowed to "examine/inspect" your "assault weapons" every year.

I am not pleased.

Just curious, but why do you guys get suppressors and why do they need special ammo?

As my ten year old likes to say, Because 'Murica!

I'm waiting on suppressor #10. Guessing February 2017.

I'm done with SBRs and suppressors for awhile.

I ordered two of the new CZ P10C suppressor ready guns and hope to get them in soon. Then I'll be done with guns for awhile as well. I need to concentrate on hobbies I've been neglecting.

I ordered two of the new CZ P10C suppressor ready guns and hope to get them in soon. Then I'll be done with guns for awhile as well. I need to concentrate on hobbies I've been neglecting.

Ohio sounds like a land of FREEDOM!

I wish you lived in Columbus

Ethical Hunting: As the country grows more urban, hunters are finding themselves chasing game closer to human habitation. Any time guns are discharged near the non-hunting public, the chance of confrontation is exacerbated. Silencers mitigate that chance.

Enhanced Accuracy: Most people shoot a .223 Rem. better than a .338 Win. Mag. Why? Despite what we want to believe, few of us are actually immune to recoil, so we tend to shoot better with light-recoiling guns. Much like a muzzle brake, silencers reduce recoil by countering the gas pressure that would otherwise force the gun straight back into a shooter’s face and shoulder. They also reduce perceived noise. Quiet guns are easier to shoot.

Most silencers, while they may slightly alter the point of impact, do not necessarily make the firearm less accurate. To the contrary, oftentimes they cause the firearm’s groups to shrink.

Don't believe guns making noise during gun season on hunting land is unethical.

On a side note... I was just informed today that the new "assault weapon" regulations in Cali are even more draconian than previously thought.

Prior to the end of 2017 I will have to either convert all my "assault weapons" to new Cali spec or register them as an "assault weapon". Among other restrictions. This I already knew. Today I learned that there is a "limit" and specific regulations for those above the "limit". The "limit" being 5 registered "assault weapons". If you have 5 or less the state is allowed to "examine/inspect" your "assault weapons" every 5 years. If you have more than 5 the state is allowed to "examine/inspect" your "assault weapons" every year.

I am not pleased.

Please cite a source as no one on calguns have heard of this requirement from the regs

Edit: it seems your new info applies only to assault weapons permit holders, not registered assault weapons. Permit holders are a different class of people than the average gun owner that has to register their new assault weapons.

Edited by Knight705

Ohio sounds like a land of FREEDOM!

Come to TN :lol: I'm about to renew my carry permit to a lifetime permit for $200. Plus, the state passed a law earlier this year that if a business posts a "no firearms" sign and something happens to the carry holder who wasn't allowed to carry, the business is liable.

My uncle brought out his M1 Garand to the range yesterday. I might have giggled like a school girl the first time the clip ejected with that characteristic "clank" :lol:

Also I'm pretty sure my next gun will be a bolt action .223 for 200yd plinking and varment hunting.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight