LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

The Trijicon HD's are nearly impossible to miss in daylight.

Another option would be getting irons tall enough to cowitness the RDS. I tried a set up like this and found it worked pretty damn well. Use the irons at closer range and tradition to the dot when you need it. Also made finding the damn dot about 100% easier.

The HD's are similar to what I'll be going with, just won't have the tritium.

The gun already has 'suppressor height' sights... the sights would have to be another .25-.35" taller to have a true co-witness. Nothing currently made in that range that I'm aware of, not to mention holster issues that would come up.

Honestly, the red dot doesn't provide enough advantage to make it worth the trouble. Shots beyond 15yds are rare in competition (IDPA/USPSA), and rarer yet IRL. I can also get back to shooting this gun in IDPA SSP as well as USPSA Production.

As a side note, pretty much everyone locally who tried USPSA Carry Optics has more or less given it up.

A locked and unloaded weapon that can be accessed by the driver is legal. But only in certain circumstances. However, it is frowned upon by our local Sheriff and law enforcement. If you want to push your luck, you can. But I am not a prosecutor, so I dont push it. I dont carry one gun to the range, I usually take 4 or more. Which means plenty of ammo too.

I also dont understand your reasoning. A locked and unloaded gun is not concealed carry. Far from it. If it is not loaded with a live round in the chamber and on your person, its not concealed carry and you might as well not carry a gun.

The only gun that is going to save your tush is the one thats live and loaded in your hand when the pooh hits the fan. I dont get having unloaded guns for protection.

If shtf in CA the most likey scenario is earthquake. If the freeways/roads get taken out between my work and my home I would feel better to have my pistol at side.

I have zero fantasy dreams of being a hero and pulling a gun to stop a robber or terrorist. My first duty is to find safety and escape from the danger. I am not a cop, I will not risk my life to save little timmy from jidhadi jim. I am a person that took the best available step in self protection without being able to obtain a chl due to stupid anti-2a politics.

lol wut?

http://i.imgur.com/5gbhdlQ.jpg

Yeah I may need that front blade for my 1911, I just got the standard one that just barely stands out except in night low light setups.

If shtf in CA the most likey scenario is earthquake. If the freeways/roads get taken out between my work and my home I would feel better to have my pistol at side.

I have zero fantasy dreams of being a hero and pulling a gun to stop a robber or terrorist. My first duty is to find safety and escape from the danger. I am not a cop, I will not risk my life to save little timmy from jidhadi jim. I am a person that took the best available step in self protection without being able to obtain a chl due to stupid anti-2a politics.

Point of CCW/CHL is for you initially, you can choose to help others or not. Just beware that the perfect mass shooing savior could become the victim when the cops finally arrive. Ohio has a nice sized "No Zimmerman" paragraph as well. I also have the SCCY in the car as back up means. I rather have that option available than not at all. Ohio Laws are slightly decent in some areas then lack in others.

Defense of Others

A person may defend another only if the protected person would

have had the right to use deadly force in self-defense himself.

Under Ohio law, a person may defend family members, friends, or

strangers. However, just as if he were protecting himself, a person

cannot use any more force than is reasonable and necessary to

prevent the harm threatened.

A defendant who claims he used deadly force to protect another has

to prove that he reasonably and honestly believed that the person

he protected was in immediate danger of serious bodily harm or

death and that deadly force was the only way to protect the person

from that danger. Furthermore, the defendant also must show that

the protected person was not at fault for creating the situation and

did not have a duty to leave or avoid the situation.

WARNING: The law specifically discourages citizens from taking

matters into their own hands and acting as law enforcement.

This is true even if you think you are performing a good deed

by protecting someone or helping law enforcement. The Ohio

Supreme Court has ruled that a person risks criminal charges if

he interferes in a struggle and protects the person who was at

fault, even if he mistakenly believed that person did not create

the situation.

In other words, if you misinterpret a situation and interfere, you

may face criminal charges because your use of deadly force is not

justified. If you do not know all the facts and interfere, you will not

be justified to use force. It does not matter that you mistakenly

believed another was in danger and not at fault.

For that kind of coin I'd buy a Hammerli SP20 instead. As much as I love my Benelli because it took me to nationals in 2003, the Hammerli is the better target pistol, and either one will leave the tarted up Ruger in the dust for rapid fire work because the bore axis on both are incredibly low, the barrels are top of the line match grade, and the triggers are fully adjustable.

http://www.larrysguns.com/Products/WaltherHammerli-SP-20-RRS-22lr-Target__Walther-fslsh-Hammerli-spc-SP-20-spc-RRS.aspx

I found a buyer for my M&P 9 Pro 5" and once I finish the deal, ordering up a CZ P-07 and CZ-P09 Suppressor Ready, $925 for both shipped to my LGS!

Edit: I found some at local ranges (regular P-09 not the SR), fantastic pistols indeed, factory trigger on the broken in range guns were good, solid ergonomics, low recoil due to the heavy slide in the frame, capacity is great 15+1 in the P-07 and 19+1 P-09. which +2 base pads available at the great price of $8 for 2! Spring precision makes a nice sized magwell for the P-09 and just requires a little grinding on the +2 pads to fit with it.

Edited by Schrei Wolf

As a side note, pretty much everyone locally who tried USPSA Carry Optics has more or less given it up.

Is this a true trend in the data seen in competitions? that the dots are slower up close than irons, for well-trained and practiced shooters?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Is this a true trend in the data seen in competitions? that the dots are slower up close than irons, for well-trained and practiced shooters?

Well, we're talking a pretty small sample size (around 5), but everyone I spoke with that tried it expressed pretty much the same opinion.

I can't really speak to any nationwide trends, but several of the shooters discussion forums have come to similar conclusions on the topic. Some have said the speed delta between irons and dot was closing for them with lots of practice, but I have yet to see anyone declare they're faster up close with a dot. All agree the dot is great at longer ranges.

Which would you pick from the below? I want a 1911, this is going to be strictly a range toy. Im going to keep it at my parents house so it wont get loads of shooting.

Tisas 1911 .45 - 1 mag ($300)

Springfield 1911 .45 - milspec 2 mags ($520, could probably get it for $500)

Springfield Range Officer .45 - 2 mags, 50rds ammo, OWB holster ($550, would offer $500 and see what sticks)

Tisas

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/9286f5728195ddf0cb38488e550871a2.jpg

Mil-spec

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/4e328e7366f849d09f3d3563a5e74192.jpg

RO

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161129/f5cde7b1aeb806b81a2b4a0cfc535c38.jpg