LegacyGT.com

Official Firearm Thread V3

SBT

Picked this up today. My 10 day wait period had expired, so I was finally free to take home my purchase.

Figured I might want to grab this now, before the governor decides the barrel is too short (too easy to conceal) and takes the pistol "off roster". This should be considered a "common sense" hand gun as it is not Fully Semi Automatic. No???

On a side note, the wife watched the debate with me last night. She seemed more enthusiastic than ever afterwards on her quest to find a new home state. She admitted to feeling a bit sick in the stomach watching the debate.

20161010_155700.thumb.jpg.1024a1cbecc55332c24b674996185dab.jpg

20161010_155710.thumb.jpg.140e0dfd21b9990b178bb472231dec40.jpg

Picked this up today. My 10 day wait period had expired, so I was finally free to take home my purchase.

Figured I might want to grab this now, before the governor decides the barrel is too short (too easy to conceal) and takes the pistol "off roster". This should be considered a "common sense" hand gun as it is not Fully Semi Automatic. No???

On a side note, the wife watched the debate with me last night. She seemed more enthusiastic than ever afterwards on her quest to find a new home state. She admitted to feeling a bit sick in the stomach watching the debate.

Sounds like Ruger GP100 22LR revolvers will eventually be on that list of ban because its a high capacity revolver :lol: Yeah you should pick a safe place to move that isn't gunning for your guns.

Did you install a bullet button yet?

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I respectfully disagree.

The answer to the striker fired polymer framed pistol for a new shooter or a seasoned shooter has three answers:

1.) HK VP9

2.) Walther PPQ

3.) SIG P320

In that order. All ready to run out of the box for a beginner or a serious trained user, especially the VP9 LE model with night sights.

Why buy a Glock? Glock QC is a bit lacking these days, the pistol's ship with garbage sights on them, and the stock triggers will take modification to improve and still won't be as good as the HK or Walther. Plus the HK and Walther offer more adjustability to the grip to fit a wide variety of hands. Both are proving to be very very reliable just like the Glocks, except they don't spit brass in all directions including in your face like some Glocks. The HK and Walther also have a well deserved reputation for very very good mechanical accuracy/repeatability. Oh, and they ship with better sights, in the HK's case mone are so well regulated I have no desire to change them in any way (night sights). The HK and Walther also both have a standard Picatinny rail unlike the Glock.

The SIG is completely modular and can easily be adapted to a wide variety of configuratiins, the trigger is crisp but a bit heavy though. I'd still take one over a Glock. My wife loves hers, although I'm more fond of my VP9.

Good counterpoints. :)

So good that there's really nothing for me to argue. Great highlights of the positives of each of those weapons.

Even so, for a one-and-only gun, the fact that the maintenance and upgrades/modification paths are so well documented for the Glock makes it very hard for me to go against that recommendation.

For example, at this weekend's class, one of my fellow line-mate's Glock went down with a slide stop - the "catch" portion sheared off. Not an uncommon breakage for a high-round-count gun. In a class of 11 students, I had the sole XD-variant, there was one PPS and two Shields (why the smaller guns? the class was specific to shooting from-concealment), the rest were Glocks - no less than 5 students (discounting the two 43s in presence, we can all do a quick bit of math ;)) immediately offered this item to that shooter, who was a newer shooter who had not yet realized the need to bring spare service parts to classes.

When there's documentation of hundreds of thousands of use by competitors and other professionals, juxtaposed against their recommended service intervals for small parts, that's a huge resource for everyday owners, to be able to stay ahead of breakages and other maintenance concerns. Say what we will of the 1911/2011, but outside of that platform, not many other modern autopistols have that kind of resource available.

Good counterpoints there, Penguin. If only our to-be-elected leaders could be so eloquent and on-point! :lol:

[ Fun side-note: We were able to walk all the way back to the 150, at this venue. :wub: I'm still struggling past the 75 (which I can do SHO), but several folks were making solid connections with an FBI-Q steel at 100+, even the guys with the tiny guns. :) I've recently put more time into dry-fire, and this has paid off tremendously - looks like it's time to redouble my efforts! ]

---

I still need to shoot a VP9....

More than likely First Strike/Strike Sports out in Newbury still has the same one as their rental.

The trigger may have degraded a bit by now - but when I shot it a year ago, it really was stellar. I'd be willing to rent it again, now, if it's the same gun, just to see how it's worn-in in that time.

Last May, I wrote this on another Forum:

Cold (first time) on the gun, got a 94 on the 10/10/10 (I wasn't completely cold for the day, though, as I'd already put through ~150 rounds on my XDm9 3.8 Compact that day) with a bit over 2 seconds to spare.

"For keeps," I take the 10/10/10 from the draw from my usual concealment holster and clothing, but this was at an indoor range where I can only do it from the low-ready. Given my BSA template at that distance and that sized target would likely be about between 1.5 to 1.8 seconds, I thought that was pretty decent for a gun I wasn't familiar with, and had only finger-bang'ed the trigger path but twice, dry.

I tossed all but 3 shots high at the 25 yard line, but an adjustment to the sight picture brought everything back on the B8 Repair Center with little issue.

I was pressed for time when I finished and forgot to score the sheet, but my best guess would be that I was in the 90s (my score on the XDm9 3.8 Compact that day was a 94, and I shot that immediately after shooting the 10/10/10 - the problem I have with the XDm is that I am [still] inconsistent on the trigger with it, which messes up the 25 for me). Those rounds finished my box of 50 with that gun, and I'm sure that had I been more familiar with it, I could have done significantly better.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

For me I prefer my XD's, but if I were to recommend an all around poly striker gun to a friend I'd probably recommend a glock. Like said above, the aftermarket and informational support is unmatched in any other platform aside from the good ol' 1911.

But what do I know, we're only allowed musket loaders here.

my son prefers the shield 45 as his edc, but he does want a smaller 9mm to conceal when he gets old enough. as for ability to learn the weapons and such, i think its largely swayed bythe person's individual experiences. whether thats a friends pistol, stuff they saw on tv or whatever. i edc an old ruger P89 hammer gun, it has the old decocker and safety on it and still works like a charm. i taught my kids how to shoot at a fairly young age, but i also had them on different styles enough where i didnt think they would miss out on differences because of it. the funny part is, they all share my dislike for the glock culture. i dont have any real qualms with glock, i just think they are the velveeta on the gun world, and id rather have spray cheese.

i do like the new rugers, both the small concealable ones and the full frame ones. havent shot them much but i do like them. they are fairly easy on the wallet as well from what ive seen so far.

For me I prefer my XD's, but if I were to recommend an all around poly striker gun to a friend I'd probably recommend a glock. Like said above, the aftermarket and informational support is unmatched in any other platform aside from the good ol' 1911.

I have dedicated the past 6 years to training and practicing with my XDms. I'm still plenty satisfied with them.

The aftermarket is soft on these guys, but what's available is pretty solid, thankfully.

That said, I still wish for more choices.

And informationally, it's almost a black hole compared with what's out there for Glocks and M&Ps. The difference would be laughable, if it wasn't so painful. There exists a near complete lack of well-documented high-round-count data, despite some use of these in the competition world.

This fact, combine with the mileage I've put on mine, literally almost made me jump-ship about a year ago.

I had, at that time, saved up a wad of cash so that I could purchase a pair of 17s and a pair of 19s, the mods that I like for each, plus enough mags to fill a swimming pool (let's put this in perspective ;) - I own exactly one Glock right now, a G32, and I've got 3 OE 15 rounders, five OE 13-rounders, two 22-round OE happy-sticks, plus another fifteen of the Magpul 17-round 9mm mags that I use with my conversion barrel, as a loaner gun for training classes). My local training buddy knows just how close I came to making the leap.

Why?

Because I was -and still am- essentially using my training/practice XDms as durability benchmarks for the copies of them that I own for HD and EDC use.

Then this happened:

http://www.m4carbine.net/archive/index.php/t-179626.html

I spent literally two full days scouring the Brian Enos Forums to gather that "data."

I still have residual reservations - obviously, with my current methodology, I'm banking on my very limited personal experiences with my practice/training guns to carry over into their defensive copies.

But with the above, I at least feel enough reassurance that I no longer feel compelled to make that jump.

But what do I know, we're only allowed musket loaders here.

:lol: Well played!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Argh! My regular FFL called and said my Tavor X95 is in. Two days from order to receiving! That's fast. One of our uniform stores called and said my S&W Victory is in too.

Now I need to find time to drive to both of them!

Great week!

I went to the range but wasn't able to post the pics. They didn't have a VP9 but I managed to fall hard for a Legion.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g2_zpszxlowsym.jpg~original

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g3_zpskhfvcjek.jpg~original

Got this, didn't like it.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g4_zpszluzvu7h.jpg~original

This wasn't bad at all

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g5_zpsswvb5tru.jpg~original

Mixed feelings about it

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g7_zps9mmcfh2f.jpg~original

Kinda liked this one

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g8_zps9ligsyvp.jpg~original

Pics of the Glock 43 vanished, also wasn't for me.

Went to fire this guy and managed to have the shell reload it's self back into the magazine. Haven't called SCCy yet for a new mag to replace this replacement mag.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g9_zpsdmf5qn6w.jpg~original

The rear sight came off after that, not uncommon for parts to fall off this guy.... Was able to get it back on for the time being.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k280/merc6/g6_zpsyuvvpstb.jpg~original

Edited by Merc6

I went to the range but wasn't able to post the pics. They didn't have a VP9 but I managed to fall hard for a Legion.

Is that Point Blank up in Mentor?

----

Took the little one to the range yesterday, again A&A out in Garrettsville. They've really cleaned up their act as compared to a few years ago. I'm really enjoying the place.

Anna shot steel for the first time. She loved it.

Her 15-22 is still unreliable. I'm going to try to tweak the ejector a bit more - the last time this gun was out (approx. 600 rounds, total), I loaned it to a friend of mine who put approx. 250 rounds downrange without any issues.

At the 300 round mark, he started seeing a lot of FTEjects, and stopped for the day as he was running out of rounds, anyway. Prior to that, I'd tweaked the ejector a bit at a friend's place, and it was shooting fairly well. Before taking it out with my daughter yesterday, I gave it a very quick cleaning, and it's possible I could have tweaked the ejector accidentally.

I'm going to get a Volquartsen extractor for it, too.

She had a lot of fun with her little AR clone, but was somewhat frustrated at all the FTEs and FTFs. We're now looking at getting her desensitized to the muzzle blast/concussion of a "real AR."

If I have to send it back to S&W, I will, but I'm kinda a do-it-yourself guy. :p

Previously, she'd been a bit tentative with her .22LR handguns. She'd had a bit of brass splash back on her support hand with her Buckmark Plus, and that kinda soured her to it. She got addicted to the steel, though, this time out, and she kept asking for mag after mag with my 22/45. Looks like I'm probably going to get her one, too. :lol: I think I also equipped her better this time around. She's got long fingers for her age, so I got her a pair of extra small Women's fit PIG Alphas, which actually fit her perfectly. I also got a set of generic women's compression work-out sleeves, and that virtually eliminated her little-kids' worry of getting hot brass burns.

From now on, we're going to settle into a rhythm of "working" paper targets for the first 30 minutes of each range session, and then have some fun with our steel. :)

Is the steel A&A's or are you bringing your own? Last time I was there I had to scare off some idiots playing with shotguns. Haven't been back since but glad to hear they are cleaning it up. :)

Finally got to my FFL's place and picked up my X95. Stuck a Saavy sling on it and swapped out the flash hider.

Will try shooting it soon and report back.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx321/chowser51/2E32B821-5A21-4C09-923C-7AC133CF1E43.jpg

Is that Point Blank up in Mentor?

----

Took the little one to the range yesterday, again A&A out in Garrettsville. They've really cleaned up their act as compared to a few years ago. I'm really enjoying the place.

Anna shot steel for the first time. She loved it.

Her 15-22 is still unreliable. I'm going to try to tweak the ejector a bit more - the last time this gun was out (approx. 600 rounds, total), I loaned it to a friend of mine who put approx. 250 rounds downrange without any issues.

At the 300 round mark, he started seeing a lot of FTEjects, and stopped for the day as he was running out of rounds, anyway. Prior to that, I'd tweaked the ejector a bit at a friend's place, and it was shooting fairly well. Before taking it out with my daughter yesterday, I gave it a very quick cleaning, and it's possible I could have tweaked the ejector accidentally.

I'm going to get a Volquartsen extractor for it, too.

She had a lot of fun with her little AR clone, but was somewhat frustrated at all the FTEs and FTFs. We're now looking at getting her desensitized to the muzzle blast/concussion of a "real AR."

If I have to send it back to S&W, I will, but I'm kinda a do-it-yourself guy. :p

Previously, she'd been a bit tentative with her .22LR handguns. She'd had a bit of brass splash back on her support hand with her Buckmark Plus, and that kinda soured her to it. She got addicted to the steel, though, this time out, and she kept asking for mag after mag with my 22/45. Looks like I'm probably going to get her one, too. :lol: I think I also equipped her better this time around. She's got long fingers for her age, so I got her a pair of extra small Women's fit PIG Alphas, which actually fit her perfectly. I also got a set of generic women's compression work-out sleeves, and that virtually eliminated her little-kids' worry of getting hot brass burns.

From now on, we're going to settle into a rhythm of "working" paper targets for the first 30 minutes of each range session, and then have some fun with our steel. :)

Please tell me you're buying her a MKVI and not MKII/III series?

All my armorer buddies own multiple MKII/III pistols that were given to them in peices in bags.

She'll hate you and guns after her first attempt at cleaning it. I'm trading my MKIII Hunter in on a MKVI Hunter this weekend. So glad this is the last time I have to take it apart and clean it.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

6mm rail guns

It's interesting how the quest for perfection in competition can take things to the point where they are utterly useless for the original intended purpose. Top fuel is indeed an apt comparison.

Would be cooler if they were actually electromagnetic rail guns... :D