LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Some compressor housings are "pinned" to the CHRA, so in that case, you'd have to make sure. If necessary, pins can be filed-off.

Typically, you just loosen the V-band or attaching band and then rotate the compressor housing to where you want it, then retighten. Since the turbine housing and the CHRA stay stationary, there shouldn't be any issue with lube (in/out) or the cooling lines.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

When you clock the compressor housing, you're just unbolting it and rotating it around a little, and re-bolting it, there shouldn't be any issues at all. Since the inside of the housing currently clears the compressor wheel, and the inside is symmetrical, it will still clear the wheel after you rotate it.

On the stock turbos it's not quite that simple. I found this excellent write up in the FF818 community on the oem TD04. Repinning and grinding off the oil feed line mounting boss. So now I know how to do a stock one, I'm wondering about the ATP and Blouch if there are similar drilling and grinding steps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7nE-cTYLdhtLTNTRmRnaER5WnM/view

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Why thinking AWIC? do tell...

Short answer: Brake Duct interference with an FMIC.

The much longer answer:

1) I want to get rid of the massive hood scoop, therefore FMIC or AWIC. Then install a heat extractor type hood, or block off the oem scoop hole and install a extractor vent closer to the front.

2) Almost all FMICs won't work with brake ducts mounted in the fog light bezel. There are a couple that might work, like the TurboXS.

3) Almost all FMICs require using a CAI in some form or another, most of which aren't really "cold" air inlets. I've found a couple of CAIs that use the stock air snorkle that might work, but generally they don't work with FMICs, or at least the FMICs that that fit with the brake ducts.

4) FMIC lag.

So that brought up using an AWIC.

Pros:

No brake duct problem!

Keep the stock intake box - snorkel.

No FMIC lag. The pipes are the same length as a TMIC.

Super efficient, virtually no pressure drop across the core.

Cons vs FMIC:

Weighs more in total.

Coolant pump could quit.

Leaks in the coolant piping.

Historically great for Drag and Autocross racing (you can put ice in the reservoir between runs and actually have IATs below ambient!).

Historically not very good for Road Racing, the coolant eventually gets heat soaked and power drops off.

However; there has been a great deal of hot rodding AWIC - Heat Exchanger solutions in the last 4-5 years thanks to the Cadillac CTS V, Ford GT500, Camaro ZL1, Corvette ZR1 and C7 Z06. And every mid engine supercar/racecar. All of these high HP cars use AWIC. And of course enthusiasts like us aren't satisfied with 600HP so they mod their cars and track them like we do. Most of these cars have/had issues with overheating their AWIC systems on a race track. The overheating was caused by inadequate heat exchangers that couldn't keep up with WOT for long periods of time. That has brought about numerous aftermarket suppliers to meet the demand.

Fluidyne, Edelbrock, Lingenfelter, Ron Davis, AFCO, LFP and more suppliers all now make aftermarket heat exchangers that are capable of keeping these cars on the track and racing. No longer are we stuck with a Frozen Boost single pass exchanger made in China. The above respected American made racing radiator companies are making double and triple pass exchangers. There's a couple of the HX solutions that I'm sure I can use in the STI. In particular the LFP and AFCO Ford GT500 solutions look very promising for fit and capacity.

Your new turbo...

https://www.facebook.com/Logicmotorsportconsulting/photos/?tab=album&album_id=233818290050559

Garrett TR30R turbo. Rated for 300hp & 600 tq.

Titanium and other unicorn components.

The company doesn't exist anymore!

A search on the net gives that the TR30R turbo has a restriction built in for WRC compliance, so even though it has nice goodies it might not be what you want unless you have WRC ambitions or the racing you perform are into such restrictions.
453747.png

Check out this video: Subaru Isle of Man Challenge Car: Tech Specs with Mark Higgins

There's several interesting things they've done to the engine.

The TMIC has been replaced with a panel filter to feed the intake to the turbo. I like that idea, a true cold air intake. And it doesn't cause backflow/air stagnation for the radiator because all the air is going into the engine to be consumed, not pressurizing the engine compartment. Very Cool.

Power Steering cooler.

Looks like an Accusump on the pass fender panel.

IAT sensor in the cold side piping, but very far forward? Lots of other sensors around the engine bay.

Is that a fuel swirl pot mounted in the normal alternator space? Usually the swirl pot is not in the hot engine compartment but in this application it may not matter. Have to think on this.

I can't figure out what looks like all the ignition wires on the two blocks on top of the engine?

And the cylinder head venting is interesting.

I'd love to spend 30 minutes up close examining what they've done.

1483071046_IsleofManTT1.jpg.4d7ef209d4974dbcae9a4d66a3e30845.jpg

624677718_IsleofManTT2.jpg.fc80ac550990ff7d37eb91dc183a79dc.jpg

1259092167_IsleofManTT4.jpg.369595139d8d4c579c7c3ec008cda3c9.jpg

1546366374_IsleofManTT6.jpg.57f1a6bb832f5a7b73f4f3bd44a396a6.jpg

Here's some better pics. It has a V-Mount setup, FMIC on top of the radiator. And another guy says the wiring harness has been separated and those are mil spec connectors for all the engine wiring going to the two boxes on top.

I'm still trying to figure out what the two custom tanks are for, the one next to the alternator, and the one behind the intake on the driver's side.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56165&d=1468538499...http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56164&d=1468538495...http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=56163&d=1468538494

Note: The top mount FMIC has two fans.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Next to the alt - is that something to do with brakes? There's a line heading down to the passenger front wheel.

I don't see what you're talking about. The blue silicone hose is the upper radiator hose leading down to the radiator.

The tube above the alternafor looks like a rocket box (wrc spares) which is the anti lag system.

I had never heard of the rocket box but a quick Google search brought this ProDrive build up. I don't think the tank is related.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/2771/External-Combustion-Rocket-Anti-Lag-System-JDM-Spec-C-Impreza-STI.aspx

Wasn't this car at bignw meet a couple of weeks ago? maybe nasioc has pics?

You were there and if it was you should have lots of pics! :eek: I don't think it was there though.

Definitely MilSpec'd. Looks like they brought the ECU out from the floorpan and case-hardened it into several connected watertight boxes.

Can't speak to the tubes, other than one may be the reservoir for the PS pump. But what are the "coolers" located in the front corners under the headlights?

Edit: And what's the tube/tank next to the charge pipe on the passenger side?

Edited by SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just found this thread... catching up...

Why not IAG block and borg warner s200SX-E supercore?

my ETS front mount clears the legacy fog lights by a mile, maybe the STI one would too?

Glad you're here. The ETS comes out too high and runs into the brake ducts.

I already have the Rallispec block, it arrived a couple of days ago. I'll post pics this weekend.

On the turbo, no reason other than I never really looked at it. I like the EWG on the ATP housing. That's a rock solid way to mount the EWG. If the EWG is mounted on the uppipe there's always the chance that after 20 hours of race heat and vibration the weld to the EWG will fail and crack open. I've talked with three Subaru race tuners/builders/suppliers and they all agree the EWG on the turbine is the way to go for long endurance races.

From the rocket box article:

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Columns/Beyond-the-Dyno-by-Eric-Hsu/i-GSRrnb5/0/L/als-rocket-subaru-13-L.jpg

"The sub-harness is properly done like a motorsport grade harness with Autosport connectors where possible, Raychem DR-25 heat shrink, Raychem boots, teflon wire, kapton tape, etc."

But what are the "coolers" located in the front corners under the headlights?

Good spot on the coolers, I hadn't noticed them.

One is surely oil. Or both are oil.

we agree on wastegate position lol

11267710_611263528988863_1912994561_n.jpg

wasn't sure if you already committed the motor or not, what struck me is how someone mentioned supporting the top of the cylinder walls, which sounds an awful lot like a closed deck block to me. hope the rallispec block works for you, i know they do great work.

I'm gonna see if i can share some info about a new product that should be coming out very soon that will make twinscroll a much easier and more affordable option for the masses. I'll pm you about it.

Glad you're here. The ETS comes out too high and runs into the brake ducts.

I already have the Rallispec block, it arrived a couple of days ago. I'll post pics this weekend.

On the turbo, no reason other than I never really looked at it. I like the EWG on the ATP housing. That's a rock solid way to mount the EWG. If the EWG is mounted on the uppipe there's always the chance that after 20 hours of race heat and vibration the weld to the EWG will fail and crack open. I've talked with three Subaru race tuners/builders/suppliers and they all agree the EWG on the turbine is the way to go for long endurance races.

Edited by bettner12