LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

With a tip of the hat to the country of origin (as well as a play on words of a drink that can knock you on your butt) how about Sake Bomb or Sake Bomber?

The Sake Bomber or the Blue Sake Bomber. I'm liking it. Might have a copyright problem but still sounds good!

http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/e-kanoya/cabinet/400x400/imgrc0063762040.jpg

sakebombers-6.jpg

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

get 888 as your number then run r888 tires.

such 8. many luck.

Good idea but I can't use 888.

1) In ICSCC I'm only allowed the first digit in a three number to go as high as the number 3. 388, 288, 188 would be ok if available.

2) NASA 25 Thunderhill allows only 1 or 2 digit numbers. I don't know if 28 is available in my class there or not, but a three digit is out.

Thanks though.

The aero test day at ORP went great. Except that I couldn't find my manometer Friday. It should have been in my Data tool box, the accessory hoses and the instructions were there, but no instrument. That drives me nuts!

So I used the old school yarn, tape, and camera. There were some amazing discoveries.

First I setup the camera to try to capture what was going on with the brake ducts. That didn't work too well, but on reviewing the video I noticed the yarn that should have been flowing into the lower radiator opening was not most of the time. It was flowing sideways left, sideways right and a every once in awhile backwards! It only flowed straight in at speeds over 80 mph!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231194&stc=1&d=1464542996http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231195&stc=1&d=1464542996http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231196&stc=1&d=1464542996

Whoa! This needs more investigation! So I moved the camera over to capture the entire front:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231198&stc=1&d=1464543309

OK, clearly the lower radiator has air flow has issues. A great deal of the time the center tufts, directly in front of the center radiator brace, are flowing backwards. And the tufts on the side are not always flowing in too.

Suspecting this reverse flow is at least partly caused by the TMIC Scoop over-pressurizing the engine bay we taped up the TMIC scoop and I went out for 1 lap doing my best to stay out of boost, but still hit 80 mph a couple of times. Check out the flow with the TMIC scoop taped shut:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231199&stc=1&d=1464543686

A 100% improvement!

I'm not showing the pics of the upper grille flow because it worked fine the whole time. It's only the lower grille that has this problem.

So it looks like an FMIC or AWIC is in my future if I want to get rid of the TMIC scoop not just for aero drag but cooling too.

pic38.jpg.ce2551c96f2058549c66b37be5cb143d.jpg

pic37.jpg.ea3021480c586c5e320ab97323ec4921.jpg

pic36.jpg.94f0760867c25ff50558ac74dd27e14c.jpg

pic34.jpg.df10802c944427ecb2e0f56961bc532e.jpg

pic33.jpg.c4d228394692fe958a16da7a0d75ed64.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

I also did the testing on the rear window, trunk lid, and wing. More surprises!

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231200&stc=1&d=1464544184..http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=231201&stc=1&d=1464544184

The airflow wraps around the rear window pillars and is angling across the rear window from the sides (expected behavior).

But they seem to be colliding in the middle and forcing the boundary layer to flow backwards, right up the center of the window! I never would have thought that could happen! Unreal. Another holy cow, I never would have thought moment!

I guess those EVO Vortex Generators actually have a purpose!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-RODxDrEPj7bSfBqFLwO_xsQYhFiQMtEmfATCqCUhzaUUGqlB

Now I'm going to have to read this paper: http://csus-dspace.calstate.edu/bitstream/handle/10211.9/1780/Sevilla%20-%20Thesis%20Final.pdf?sequence=5 More Research ahead.

pic39.thumb.jpg.2ef81b65d27b502c0bd891f0437f5427.jpg

pic40.thumb.jpg.f14f3e2aec5bf4e58a1883a2aa570240.jpg

it would be interesting to see what the results would be without the front splitter.

I am ASSuming this car has a full undertray or about as full as one can get?

Awesome to see this kind of testing shared. Thanks for that.

Yeah that's a good question, does the car have an under tray of some sort that is at least as long as the factory one? I know the air from the hood scoop is supposed to go down the sides and along the bell housing and transmission and exit under the car. I've read not having the under tray can cause odd airflow under the hood.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

The splitter comes back to the front of the wheel wells. It's shorter than the one was in the Silver Eagle. I don't know how it compares to the oem undertray, I don't think I've ever seen one.

I've thought about making another like the Silver Eagle's that extends back further, and a little farther forward too. I think the sign material is lighter. I can come forward to the max for my class, or down, and still be able to drive up on ramps without taking it off. It's nice to be able to do that, unlike the SE that I had to take it off and put it on every time I loaded/unloaded the car.

I didn't realize until I did some searching that Subaru makes an OEM vortex generator for 2015-2016 STI and WRX.

Edited by Sgt.Gator

I wonder what sort of improvements you'll see if you do nothing but fix the aero

It's relatively easy to fix the rear with a vortex generator, they range from $35 to $500. An easy install too although I'll be screwing mine down, not just double sided tape.

Also most of the aftermarket vortex generators mount at the top of the rear glass. I'm not sure that's the right place. At that point the roof has already turned down quite a bit. I don't know if the VG will be effective if they aren't right before the roof turns down. I may have to use individual VGs and place them myself in the optimal locations. More research.

A rear diffuser would help too. APR makes one for the 2005 STI but it's not cheap, $825.

http://shop.aprperformance.com/image/image_proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Faprperformance.com%2Fimages%2Fproducts%2FAB-820519.jpg&width=500&height=500&auth=fddabfe6de9942d2aa802b399eea435a

The front aero is more complicated because of the trade-offs and costs. Clearly the giant TMIC scoop has to go away and either block plate the TMIC hole in the hood and add an extractor scoop; or use a stock Imprezza NA hood with a heat extractor scoop (The same type solution I did on the Silver Eagle); or replace the hood with a heat extractor type CF hood.

Then I need a new intercooler, options:

1) FMIC

2) AWIC

3) V-Mount either FMIC or AWIC

Often the FMIC means a new air intake too. On the V-Mount the Process West solution would need a new intake but a custom built V-Mount would not.

With an AWIC I can keep the OEM intake.

Continuing research..... I found the original Mitsubishi EVO vortex research: www.web-ab9.com/16J_03.pdf

Edited by Sgt.Gator

maybe worth your while to have a custom made undertray. tie in a splitter and rear diffusor.

I noticed the bmw and camaro were riding lower than your sti. from the looks of your wheel and wheel well, I dont know if you can go any lower without a fully custom coilover solution.

i know it all adds up quickly.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

• 3 weeks later...

The diet is in full swing on the STI. I've removed quite a bit of flab.

Here's one that losses weight, improves the CG, and gives me a much slimmer more aero body:

1582335549_Mirrorreplace1.thumb.jpg.9025e91e66f286e29e4851dc263282d3.jpg

2101443602_Mirrorreplace2.thumb.jpg.d7cd243bb41e3c51d0c39ba7fb22e3a9.jpg

Those look nice. I contemplated it on my WRX, but as a DD, I am not quite at the point of getting them.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

After cutting a lot of flab out the Blue Sake Bomber lost 38 lbs. With a 100% full tank and no driver I'm at 2983lbs, empty tank should be about 2900.

Losing more weight will get expensive, and probably not worth it. 17" wheels and tires, Lexan windshields, CF driveshaft. All to lose maybe 50 more lbs. Well maybe the wheels and tires......;)

Here's some pics with the new graphics. I haven't done the stripes or any sponsor graphics on the hood yet because I'm pretty sure the TMIC and monster scoop will be going away, and the hood will be replaced.

But the rest of the car is done.

1st race this Friday in Spokane!

20160615_090911.thumb.jpg.4589422510a0d2a15d2505f88220ebe7.jpg

20160615_120849.thumb.jpg.2db46d4b4f11027a7455d6939a9bd7cd.jpg

20160615_120936.thumb.jpg.3976c1fb15131b40cc1127eb1aec4589.jpg

20160615_121009.thumb.jpg.58708d02c8e0230f15e9756c43c4f9e6.jpg

20160615_121020.thumb.jpg.09e57f435e56f4e694f4bfd647a11583.jpg

IMHO, I would run 17" wheels.

Also, I dont know how much the driver weighs, but if there is at least 30# to lose, you can at least meet the car half way.

Edited by fredrik94087

IMHO, I would run 17" wheels.

Also, I dont know how much the driver weighs, but if there is at least 30# to lose, you can at least meet the car half way.

minimum driver weight for conference is 185. I don't think that rule has ever been enforced, tho. Class minimum weights, other than ST @ 10lb/hp, keep things in line pretty well.

Another epic fail. Qualifying for the ST race was ok, trying to get used to the track and the new car at high speed. The Enduro qualifying went much better.

Then on the first racing lap of the ST race, loss of power... copious blue smoke....limped back to paddock.....blown engine.

Wife: "Honey your engine sounds like it has rocks in it. Only this time it's also shooting smoke, oil, and pieces of metal out all over the place."

The engine had less than 5 hours on it. It ran great for two track days at ORP so I had no idea this might happen.

Working on post mortem forensic and what my options are. 4 blown Subaru turbo engines in 18 months is getting really old. If it wasn't for having the super sponsor support of Subaru of Bend I'd be looking for another racing platform.

Or I could do this!

13495230_1747761185499337_7518386142851425017_n.jpg?oh=1521536ed6fe03ab2d774f6a5ee6c2c0&oe=57D199DD