LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

ST class rules state "Anything not expressly forbidden or restricted, is allowed"

Thanks for the rule change. I remember the discussion when it came up for vote. No one had considered the existing rules penalized wagons, then again no one knew a wagon would be racing.

If you think about it there were many cars the rule disadvantaged. Every hot hatchback from VW GTI's, Audi S3, Mini Coopers, to STI Wagons. And of course the most important, the Subaru Legacy GT Wagon!

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

Quick question for those of you into racing/tracking: are there any easily-available pads that are track-acceptable and not horrendous on the street? If I want to play around with an HDPE event (my first, although I did the "Exotic Racing" thing in Vegas) and not smoke my brakes right away..

Currently running Carbotech Bobcats, and I like them best on the street, compared to the Stoptech sport or HPS pads. Initial bite after a while of not braking is much better/predictable. But, I've been told they won't last long on a track at all. IMHO, Stoptech were ok, and I didn't like HPS (I think, or maybe HPS+ - it's been 5+ years since I tried and disliked those). Would do Stoptech again if those are ok.

I am planning to get rear hubs done, and it's probably time to do rear pads/rotors. So might as well get those done at the same time, and maybe swap in some new pads in the front (I have Centric cryo rotors on the front with 10-15k on them, so those should be good to go). And new synthetic fluid.

Thanks.

I've used CarboTech XP12 on track, phenomenal, and virtually silent on the street, just a little chirping in parking lots. OTOH, I am currently running XP8 and they were not quite as good on track as the XP12 and squeal like a pig on the street.

Hadvw, Tough question as you'll give up something on either end no matter how you slice it :). Pads are pretty easy to change so if you can at all plan for just getting a track specific set you'll be way happier in the end. When I did run stock brakes I'd run Bobcats on the street and then XP10's on the track. Seemed to be easier running same brand different formulas for ease of bed in when swapping back and forth. After doing it about twice I found that it was really quick to swap them out as you just get faster and faster. No real experience running XP formulas on the street as I'd swap the streets back in immediately once I got home from the track.

I've used CarboTech XP12 on track, phenomenal, and virtually silent on the street, just a little chirping in parking lots. OTOH, I am currently running XP8 and they were not quite as good on track as the XP12 and squeal like a pig on the street.

Do they work ok on the street, i.e. don't need to be warmed up to actually stop? What kind of "chirping"?

Hadvw, Tough question as you'll give up something on either end no matter how you slice it :). Pads are pretty easy to change so if you can at all plan for just getting a track specific set you'll be way happier in the end. When I did run stock brakes I'd run Bobcats on the street and then XP10's on the track. Seemed to be easier running same brand different formulas for ease of bed in when swapping back and forth.

Yeah, Carbotech actually says: if you had Carbotech pads before, no re-bedding needed.

After doing it about twice I found that it was really quick to swap them out as you just get faster and faster. No real experience running XP formulas on the street as I'd swap the streets back in immediately once I got home from the track.
I believe that Brembos are really easy, correct? Just take the wheel off, pull a pin and pull the pads out, new ones in. With the stock LGT, gotta remove the calipers, which gets more annoying.

I'm ALSO considering getting an STI as a "fun" car. Are the stock STI pads any better? (yeah, sorry, that's a different question :lol:)

Edit: My apologies for thread-jacking - I edited this to avoid any further posts. Sgt. Gator - thanks for that link. It explained/summarized a lot of what I'd learned in bits and pieces over the years about pads. Ok, I'm done. here. Sorry again.

Edited by hadvw

Quick question for those of you into racing/tracking: are there any easily-available pads that are track-acceptable and not horrendous on the street? If I want to play around with an HDPE event (my first, although I did the "Exotic Racing" thing in Vegas) and not smoke my brakes right away..

Currently running Carbotech Bobcats, and I like them best on the street, compared to the Stoptech sport or HPS pads. Initial bite after a while of not braking is much better/predictable. But, I've been told they won't last long on a track at all. IMHO, Stoptech were ok, and I didn't like HPS (I think, or maybe HPS+ - it's been 5+ years since I tried and disliked those). Would do Stoptech again if those are ok.

I am planning to get rear hubs done, and it's probably time to do rear pads/rotors. So might as well get those done at the same time, and maybe swap in some new pads in the front (I have Centric cryo rotors on the front with 10-15k on them, so those should be good to go). And new synthetic fluid.

Thanks.

Let's take this conversation out of Gator's thread to not jack it. Post a link to a new thread.

I'll make one comment before ya'll start a new thread.

GO HERE AND READ EVERY PAGE!

KNOW BRAKES 1: HOW TO CHOOSE THE BEST STREET AND TRACK BRAKE PADS

https://www.essexparts.com/support/learning-center--faq

A little progress:

Turbo XS FMIC

P/S Cooler (black cooler on your left)

Trans Cooler (silver cooler on right)

3" custom intake. No spigots/connections at all. Biggest K&N filter I could make fit.

And of course my Murray Constant Tension Clamps!

478671436_FMIC-PS-TRansCoolers.thumb.jpg.c33ccb89309df2319d616a15c03f485c.jpg

216151410_Intake1.thumb.jpg.7eb1f112fce9b178eaf617e7cb4e15f3.jpg

501525232_Intake2.thumb.jpg.ec79a15c1024d3abdf976f0c301e1419.jpg

enlighten me here, the power steering needs to be cooled as well? Wow had no idea it got super hot?

Not a known issue for regular track days or probably even races of a couple of hours.

This build if for up to 25 hour races, so everything that can be cooled will be cooled.

Many street cars come with one as standard equipment. My 1990 Acura Integra came with a power steering cooler. Basically just a finned tube in front of the radiator. Until I ripped the entire power steering system out and replaced the rack with a manual.

It would be interesting to log the P/S fluid temp on the lines pre & post the cooler. Maybe I'll do that in the future.

s-l500.jpg.d3dfa71c692a6cc0a8325be1a88fb659.jpg

These guys at least appear to know what their doing with Subaru manual transmissions. Looking down thru their FB page is pretty impressive.

Anybody here have experience with them?

https://www.facebook.com/thezfdesign/

If the transmissions run as well as the pics look, that'd be nice stuff.

Did you see the hydraulic clutch release bearing posted today? I'm trying to figure that one out....

And the pricing for a rebuilt 6 speed is reasonable. Not sure if there is an extra core charge though. I have to find out more about these guys.

I hadn't seen that one before. interesting it comes with a frame mounting kit. I'm not sure the size of the wing would be legal in either ICSCC ST or NASA ST3. I see it comes in different widths. It also can't be too tall, at or under the roofline. I'll have to find out more about it.

Thanks.

This pic of the frame mounting helps. Good timing because I'm about to use part of that space for mounting my Dry Sump brackets!

And the max wings pic is amazing.

245183811_KognitionFrameBracket.jpg.17e2a8df1fc63c1b9e1b24e1248cf6ac.jpg

1593664776_Kognition1.jpg.5d51a428e7b9d6fcb52e0891fea8fbc9.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Did you click the media link to watch the two Time Attack production car records at Road Atlanta in the Subaru?

http://www.kognitiondesign.com/page4

GST is in Hayward CA.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article on the 350Z that won the E0 class at Thill25 this year. That's the class the STI is being built for.

http://www.turnology.com/news/valkyries-350z-wins-at-the-25-hours-of-thunderhill/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=valkyries-350z-wins-at-the-25-hours-of-thunderhill

Update pics soon!