LegacyGT.com

Colonel Red Racing 2005 STI Race Car

Sgt.Gator

Unless it's a racing secret, it would be very interesting to see your list and see how it changes over time.

Nope, happy to share the list. I'll post it up tomorrow.

Have you looked into the BtSsm app to view your gauges? If you have a tablet or phablet, you'd be able to view more gauges than on the COBB AP, and you'd be able to set up alarms as well (e.g. like pass a certain rpm/ or if the car knocks, or whatever....). You should look into it.

see: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html

Here is an example of what I was viewing a while ago.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230787&d=1464018780

I subscribed to that thread a while ago but haven't been keeping up with it. The general problem with tablets is they get washed out in direct sunlight. Most of the guys I know that tried tablet based dashes went back to regular gauges or an LCD display like an AIM with backlighting for nighttime. If that issue has been solved then it's worth looking further into it. Does it also log data? And have a G-meters for accel/decel and side forces?

Here's a thread I found on on Nabisco today where the builder and I have followed many parallel tracks without knowing it. Element Dry Sump. Heat extractor hood vents, AIM dash....We're in contact now.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2636775

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

I subscribed to that thread a while ago but haven't been keeping up with it. The general problem with tablets is they get washed out in direct sunlight. Most of the guys I know that tried tablet based dashes went back to regular gauges or an LCD display like an AIM with backlighting for nighttime. If that issue has been solved then it's worth looking further into it. Does it also log data? And have a G-meters for accel/decel and side forces?

that's true. But I would guess some tablet could provide super bright screen?

And yes, this software can log as well, and provide plots right in the app (don't need to pull excel). And it can pull CEL codes as well. Essentially, it can do anything except write to the ECU. I'll get the developer to chime in and answer your question here about the G-meter and stuff. He is super nice. But essentially, I would think if these parameters are provided by the ECU, then you can view/log them. Also, if you have a tablet, then it'd have all of these sensors built-in no?

that's true. But I would guess some tablet could provide super bright screen?

And yes, this software can log as well, and provide plots right in the app (don't need to pull excel). And it can pull CEL codes as well. Essentially, it can do anything except write to the ECU. I'll get the developer to chime in and answer your question here about the G-meter and stuff. He is super nice. But essentially, I would think if these parameters are provided by the ECU, then you can view/log them. Also, if you have a tablet, then it'd have all of these sensors built-in no?

AIM makes TFT screen dash but it's not widely liked by racers because of the sunlight problem. The gold standard is still black and white LCD.

The other side of the coin is the race analysis software. Having data in a spreadsheet is fine for looking for when oil pressure drops or temps, but having real race analysis software is the key to developing as a better driver. AIM provides great software for that included.

I recently put in a Qstarz 10hz GPS/accelerometer into my autocross car for logging. Works well with my android head unit via bluetooth. May be an option if you decided to go that route. But I'm sure the options are as far as the wallet is deep and there is better stuff out there.

I took the bumper and splitter off to inspect how they mount up and the brake ducts.

The brake ducts on the one hand are very cool. They use the frame rails as ducts to move air past the tires and back to the brake rotors. This way I'm not constrained by the brake ducts as to how large a wheel/tire can fit on the inside when the wheel is turned.

The ducts feed from custom inlets in the fog light area. One is a large rectangle that feeds almost straight down the frame rail. The other is a more traditional round inlet but with a bilge fan blower. Either should work fine, but the blower should be more effective because it blows air at the hottest time, when you're moving slowest at the apex with the hottest brakes.

The problem IMHO is they cancel each other to a great extent! When you feed two inlets to a common plenum then to an outlet the air pressure will reverse up the inlet with the least air. I don't get it why they did this!

I'm going to block off the large rectangular inlet and get new fog light bezels that will direct flow to the round inlet with the blower only.

The modding begins!

20160524_142404.thumb.jpg.b2836aab722cbd0e97cf6c20a422282b.jpg

20160524_155847.thumb.jpg.79b652780828a1a398cb92a968d09654.jpg

20160524_155817.thumb.jpg.ae7081f270e453b739bc63dc70577ee8.jpg

20160524_155930.thumb.jpg.beebea581904817f6682f39dd5f19da6.jpg

20160524_155952.thumb.jpg.fb0d5abad8c11c78174d0c4e16778c33.jpg

This car has lots of weight I think I can pull out, the kind that is cheap to remove. Without getting into expensive parts to replace stuff like a carbon fiber drive-shaft for th OEM steel one, I think I can get at least 100 lbs with a few removals.

First the doors, they still have some padding and the door guard crash beams. The front doors have two bars, the rear doors one. For those of you who've been in LGT Wagon, you know the doors are basically just a light skin of metal. These will be too soon.

I'll also be deleting the oem charcoal canister/evap system. There's a thread here on doing it:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538954&highlight=evap+removal

And finally the OEM mirrors are being replaced with APR GT3 mirrors. They weigh less but more importantly have better aero:

http://aprperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/04-05_WRX-APR_Widebody_2.jpg

Next up is possibly figuring out how to remove the monster hood scoop. That thing is like a giant air brake! Removing it has lots of benefits but also some tradeoffs, more on that tomorrow.

20160524_141034.thumb.jpg.0dbad603d4e8bc85ad05bae86030859c.jpg

20160524_141052.thumb.jpg.df32327d18a54560038610b3ca8bcab8.jpg

20160524_141110.thumb.jpg.b547d10235774a24fa65aafdecf2591e.jpg

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Wait....the frame rails are used as the ducts and then the hose comes out the side of the rail to the backing plate? Genius!!!

Yep, here's more shots.

20160524_155859.thumb.jpg.93c7e8e7c2001c70a08804c04e2145c3.jpg

20160524_155915.thumb.jpg.9e0e4108cab4942184296ab278b91691.jpg

Did they drill a hole in the frame rail for the brake duct to connect to? Any concerns with that weakening something vital?

The hole looks like its in between the 2 crossmember bolts. If it was in front of both, I wouldn't worry about it compromising frame stiffness, only crush resistance to the forward impact structure. On the other hand, a rectangular beam's torsional rigidity is not necessarily affected by holes in the flat faces, ie, a lattice work beam.

Good questions. It's been raced like this for at least 4 years so I'm not worried. If it was a RallyX car going over huge jumps it would be different.

as far as the hood scoop, I had contemplated (for my 2025 wrx), an FMIC and an impreza hood. But, I would need a place for my oil cooler.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

as far as the hood scoop, I had contemplated (for my 2025 wrx), an FMIC and an impreza hood. But, I would need a place for my oil cooler.

On the LGT wagon I had a good size oil cooler between the FMIC and the radiator, up above the FMIC. And I used a recycled plain Legacy aluminum hood, then popped a reverse flow heat extractor scoop on the front of it. It's all in the original thread with pics of the fab.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=230186&stc=1&d=1463035115

I'm thinking the same will work here but I have to find a FMIC that will work with the brake ducts, there's only a couple on the market that I think might work. I had the Perrin on the LGT and it definitely won't work.

I like the Mishimoto piping because you can keep the stock airbox/snorkel, but it's too wide.

I may have to make my own custom FMIC system or a V Mount FMIC/Radiator.

http://dougberger.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v42/p2115438938-2.jpg..http://dougberger.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1972242629-2.jpg..http://dougberger.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v43/p1950063984-2.jpg

The red dot on the BMW's driver side headlight is the top of an air filter for the CAI, much like I had on the LGT Wagon.

The last race for this car under Michael's ownership:

http://dougberger.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-2/p1944481445-2.jpg

JESUS CHRIST!!! That S197!!!!!

The more and more I look at racing pics, the more and more I want to fully build my car. I just wish I had the budget.

Also, a better platform with more power.

Saturday I'm taking the Blue Bomber up to ORP for a club track day. I'll be mostly focused on aerodynamic studies. I'll be using a manometer and wool tufts to see where the high and low pressure points are and stream flows.

I'll be using the data to figure out if taking the monster hood intake off and going with an FMIC or AWIC is worth it, and if AWIC if I can mount the radiator in the trunk lid.

There's lots of trade-offs with an AWIC. The two main benefits are that you can be much more flexible in where you mount the radiator. Front, back, side. And you can keep the stock air intake, it's not required to use a short ram intake, (which is really a hot air intake not a CAI).

And hopefully soon the 3D scanner software will be updated so I can do a full scan and CFD analysis to compare to the data I'll gather Saturday.

And my new number is 28. 55 wasn't available. 28 has a great history in NASCAR racing and in Chinese it's considered a lucky number because it means double good luck!

^^^ actually, it is "88". That is the number I run for track days.

8 looks like the character for luck. I suppose 28 means "two" happiness, but 88 is what I have known since 1991.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

JESUS CHRIST!!! That S197!!!!!

The more and more I look at racing pics, the more and more I want to fully build my car. I just wish I had the budget.

Also, a better platform with more power.

Start Cheap, buy Boxkita's Spec Miata. I hear he gives LGT Forum members a special discount. ;)

Hey I thought I had the blue bomber :) !!

Yes you do! I'm still trying to come up with a name. That was just a temporary name.

^^^ actually, it is "88". That is the number I run for track days.

8 looks like the character for luck. I suppose 28 means "two" happiness, but 88 is what I have known since 1991.

88 wasn't available either, I tried. if I ever get a FF 818 that would be a great number to have for it.

From Wikipedia:

The word for "eight" (八 Pinyin: bā) sounds similar to the word which means "prosper" or "wealth" (發 – often paired with "發財" during Chinese New Years, but is used alone or paired with numerous other "compound words" that have a meaning of luck or success, Pinyin: fā). In regional dialects the words for "eight" and "fortune" are also similar, e.g., Cantonese "baat3" and "faat3". Note as well, this particular symbol matches the mathematical symbol of infinity. While Chinese does have other words for luck, this full understanding of luck that includes the infinity concept marries into a Chinese understanding of this particular word.

There is also a visual resemblance between two digits, "88", and 囍, the "shuāng xĭ" ("double joy"), a popular decorative design composed of two stylized characters 喜 ("xĭ" meaning "joy" or "happiness").

The number 8 is viewed as such an auspicious number that even being assigned a number with several eights is considered very lucky.

28, 38: As eight means prosperity, twenty eight equates to 'double prosperity', though most Chinese people will typically just read this as "easy to have luck", 38 being one of the luckiest, often referred to as 'triple prosperity' though most Chinese people might just read this as "you will grow to success."